The constants of these three years of failure are owners and players

Rich3478

Owner obviously won't sack himself but please can we have a huge clear out, had such a good opportunity three years ago. Was the first time in my life we were favourites for the league. Awful recruitment since has hindered us, player power seems to be huge problem. As well.

Morris statement tonight talks about a decline in team unity and morale, stopped playing for several managers now. Really is time to clear the decks.

Would take some midtable mediocrity whilst we rebuild, doubt Morris will however.

You're missing the point here. People keep saying the playing staff need a clear out but that's not the major problem with Derby County. The major problems are the people who have Mr Morris's ear.

Sam Rush and John Vickers the pub tour merchants, who traveled round Derbyshire denigrating Nigel Clough and his staff who have subsequently proved themselves to be far better at their jobs then they were given credit for during their time at the club when they were given little financial backing.

This whole thing has echoes of when Nigel's father left our club in 1973 with unfinished business.

22 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I don't get why people look at only the last three years and call it a failure. 

The last three years have been our best in a period of 9 years that can be deemed a failure. 

And the architect of the comparative success was McClaren and it has zilch to do with the owner

2 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

And the architect of the comparative success was McClaren and it has zilch to do with the owner

This is true. We were pretty much at our peak at the end of 13/14 in terms of cohesion, morale and flair. Almost every penny spent has done nothing to improve us and has only served to bloat the squad, ruin the togetherness and increase expectation.

2 hours ago, singaporeram said:

We don't have a board, we have an individual advised by two employees in Rush and Vicars that rely on Mel for their job, so can hardly be expected to criticise him. That's not a healthy management structure. 

I think quite the opposite, if you have a structure where those that are there to advise can offer constructive criticism to their employer that leads to a far healthier structure/relationship than just having yes men. 

Last 3 seasons have been our most successful in years. No question. But have we underachieved, yes. We have spent net 25m on this squad and made it worse than the playoff final team. Spending doesn't give you a divine right for Success, need to spend effectively on the right players and characters, preferably those still slightly unproven with the hunger and desire to succeed. Spend badly, on overrated has beens or never will bes and you become Nottingham Forest....we are on our way there unfortunately unless the owner actually makes some good decisions now and locks his trigger finger away!

11 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Owner obviously won't sack himself but please can we have a huge clear out, had such a good opportunity three years ago. Was the first time in my life we were favourites for the league. Awful recruitment since has hindered us, player power seems to be huge problem. As well.

Morris statement tonight talks about a decline in team unity and morale, stopped playing for several managers now. Really is time to clear the decks.

Would take some midtable mediocrity whilst we rebuild, doubt Morris will however.

Some supporters won't accept what you say, but I can't argue with any of your comments. Good post. 

2 minutes ago, europia said:

Some supporters won't accept what you say, but I can't argue with any of your comments. Good post. 

Totally agree good post. The playing staff turn up when they want too. Which isn't often at all. Seems a lot of player power as well particularity with Pearson. I can imagine it now "Oh Uncle Mel Pearson is a meany and telling us what to do! I don't like it" "I'll sort it for you don't worry". Ridiculous. 

11 hours ago, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

You're missing the point here. People keep saying the playing staff need a clear out but that's not the major problem with Derby County. The major problems are the people who have Mr Morris's ear.

Sam Rush and John Vickers the pub tour merchants, who traveled round Derbyshire denigrating Nigel Clough and his staff who have subsequently proved themselves to be far better at their jobs then they were given credit for during their time at the club when they were given little financial backing.

This whole thing has echoes of when Nigel's father left our club in 1973 with unfinished business.

N Clough has gone , thank goodness. Get over it.  :angry: