What do we deserve?!

RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

But what if you expected us to play good football,  with just a few less material errors in central defence?

Is any criticism,  given what transpired,  then reasonable /defensible? 

one would ask WHY you would expect us to play good football given that we have played 'good' football about 3 times all season.

Similarly, I would ask why you wouldn't expect a load of errors given that we make them every game, admittedly on good days we manage to wing it, but there's nothing new on display.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

one would ask WHY you would expect us to play good football given that we have played 'good' football about 3 times all season.

Similarly, I would ask why you wouldn't expect a load of errors given that we make them every game, admittedly on good days we manage to wing it, but there's nothing new on display.

Did anybody actually expect us to play better football than them? I know I didn't

I did expect us to try though. To show some fight and desire and some passion. I think that's what people are angry about. That game reminded me a lot of the last game under McClaren in 2015, when Reading spanked us 0-3 at our place. 

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

But what if you expected us to play good football,  with just a few less material errors in central defence?

Is any criticism,  given what transpired,  then reasonable /defensible? 

We are short of central defenders, we have De Sart playing in the central defensive midfield role not good enough. But finding a player of a fit George Thorne stature was never going to be easy. Pearson balls our season up by selling 2 centrebacks and sending our top goal scorer out on loan.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

For all sorts of reasons I haven't seen us live very often this season.

You therefore have the advantage over me.

However,  notwithstanding all of that I would answer you in the following way.

1. I expect us to be capable of good football based on the players we have. If we haven't done it often then so what? That tells me something about accomplishment not capability. I personally have no view on your "3" statistic as to whether that's reasonable or not.

2. Of course I expect errors. I'm not unreasonable. We're a championship side after all. However the ones that I saw included some calamities. You say that was the norm. OK,  but we did manage to keep a number of clean sheets.  Are you saying then that the strike forces of championship teams had a collective breakdown to allow that to happen? So when you say "nothing new" that what you're saying is we're the same but others are now punishing us more?

My point was specifically targeted at our central defence which had on occasion been a source of strength this season but which last night was poor.

14 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

For all sorts of reasons I haven't seen us live very often this season.

You therefore have the advantage over me.

However,  notwithstanding all of that I would answer you in the following way.

1. I expect us to be capable of good football based on the players we have. If we haven't done it often then so what? That tells me something about accomplishment not capability. I personally have no view on your "3" statistic as to whether that's reasonable or not.

2. Of course I expect errors. I'm not unreasonable. We're a championship side after all. However the ones that I saw included some calamities. You say that was the norm. OK,  but we did manage to keep a number of clean sheets.  Are you saying then that the strike forces of championship teams had a collective breakdown to allow that to happen? So when you say "nothing new" that what you're saying is we're the same but others are now punishing us more?

My point was specifically targeted at our central defence which had on occasion been a source of strength this season but which last night was poor.

it's all subjective anyway. For years I've been saying Keogh is rubbish when it matters, whereas others vote him player of the season! So I'm no authority, I just thing people need to realistic. If you go back over every match thread on here, for perhaps the last few seasons, you'll find plenty of criticism and plenty of discussion about errors, poor passing, poor finishing, poor performance etc, yet the next game the same posters act surprised!

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

it's all subjective anyway. For years I've been saying Keogh is rubbish when it matters, whereas others vote him player of the season! So I'm no authority, I just thing people need to realistic. If you go back over every match thread on here, for perhaps the last few seasons, you'll find plenty of criticism and plenty of discussion about errors, poor passing, poor finishing, poor performance etc, yet the next game the same posters act surprised!

Of course, you're right about the general discourse. 

I try to be personally consistent - not 100%sure I get it right but think I'm generally close.

I have seen us play sublime football. I have seen us come back  (Brentford away last season) and cheered. I've seen us lose but play well. And lose playing poorly.

Last night was rank on many levels. And I don't think I started with any sense of unreasonable entitlement. 

One day.....

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

Fed up with reading that Derby fans are awful. All fans around England are exactly the same. We aren't any better or worse, just normal.

There were some at Brighton who were almost foaming at the mouth when the final whistle went.

We sat where we were until they had left.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

All the stuff being posted about what we need, who we should get rid of, who will want to leave rubbish clubs (doing better than us) and come here. Awful personal abuse from Derby fans aimed at various elements of the Club.

What, I wonder, do we deserve? #karma?

Floating just above Championship relegation. 

Forever. 

According to a third of this forum :D

Archived