Do you think Mel Morris regrets sacking Paul Clement?

Sexydadbod

I think he does, if he doesn't then he will in 5 years when we are still going to be in the championship. When we appointed him I believed we would have gone up within 2 years meaning we would have potentially gone up this year. Will be the one who got away and everyone's going to laughing at us yet again when Clement inevitably goes to a big premier league club. Even the lads on Gillette soccer Saturday were laughing at us earlier for getting rid of Clement, especially with the state we are in now.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know the ins and outs of Clement's sacking, if he did something that left Morris with little alternative but to sack him then no he won't regret sacking him, mad with him for putting him in that position and everything that followed (Pearson) maybe.

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I think he does, if he doesn't then he will in 5 years when we are still going to be in the championship. When we appointed him I believed we would have gone up within 2 years meaning we would have potentially gone up this year. Will be the one who got away and everyone's going to laughing at us yet again when Clement inevitably goes to a big premier league club. Even the lads on Gillette soccer Saturday were laughing at us earlier for getting rid of Clement, especially with the state we are in now.

Alternatively, we could be doing even worse. This is just speculation. This is all based of opinion, there is no fact here and I doubt he regrets firing Clement. We still don't know exactly why Clement was sacked. Clement could also fail at Swansea next season and end up fired. We just don't know.

I don't know. I certainly don't. 

The brand of football that Clement and Pearson served up was disgraceful. Clement, in particular, spent some big money on a lot of players that proved to not be good enough when we just needed a few bodies in key areas to get us over the line. 

I'd argue his impact on this squad, despite short, has left a lasting dent that will take another couple of years to fix. It's a large reason why I don't go to games anymore, the brand of football, the players that he brought in, the attitude of the supporters following the big money signings. It's a poisonous atmosphere now, and has been for two years. It's hard to eradicate that. 

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I wouldn't have thought so, he wasn't sacked for footballing reasons. The reasoning behind the sacking that I've heard meant that it was unavoidable really

True....although what you heard of may not be true, and may not be what I heard of. And what I heard of may not be true.

Personally, had it been what I have heard of I would have thought either Clement would have been asked to resign, or an announcement that he was sacked for non footballing reasons without going into detail couild have been announced...which makes me think maybe what I have heard of isnt true.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The brand of football that Clement and Pearson served up was disgraceful. Clement, in particular, spent some big money on a lot of players that proved to not be good enough when we just needed a few bodies in key areas to get us over the line. 

I'd argue his impact on this squad, despite short, has left a lasting dent that will take another couple of years to fix. It's a large reason why I don't go to games anymore, the brand of football, the players that he brought in, the attitude of the supporters following the big money signings. It's a poisonous atmosphere now, and has been for two years. It's hard to eradicate that. 

I actually dont think any of Clements signings were bad in theory...we needed a left back and olssen did ok, we needed an alternative to bent/martin and blackman came with some pedigree.

The butterfield and johnson signings we had no choice, we had to sign someone and i suspect that was catered into the price as those clubs knew we had too key midfielders out for a lengthy period.

I dont think the football was that bad under clement, no it wasnt the fast attacking derby way we had been used to, but we hadnt really had that for some time.

I think his biggest mistake was trying to shoehorn blackman into the team and persisting with it. This coinicided with our drop in form.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

True....although what you heard of may not be true, and may not be what I heard of. And what I heard of may not be true.

Personally, had it been what I have heard of I would have thought either Clement would have been asked to resign, or an announcement that he was sacked for non footballing reasons without going into detail couild have been announced...which makes me think maybe what I have heard of isnt true.

Indeed it is all rather difficult to tell:lol:. The way you're talking there makes it sound like you've heard similar to me, Ive got a fair few links in the coaching/ex professional area but TBH this is one of the things I've heard that I'm less sure about. The way Mel handled it does make it seem like the footballing reasons are true...

Sith Happens
Just now, Millenniumram said:

Indeed it is all rather difficult to tell:lol:. The way you're talking there makes it sound like you've heard similar to me, Ive got a fair few links in the coaching/ex professional area but TBH this is one of the things I've heard that I'm less sure about. The way Mel handled it does make it seem like the footballing reasons are true...

Ha yeah...I have been told by someone close to the club too who is ITK as they say. But I take it with a pinch of salt still as I think sometimes its easy for idle gossip to become fact.

The reason I am dubious is thinkiing back to George Burley leaving, I have heard three different reasons for the real reason he left from ITK people....I suppose all three could be true mind, but then again none of them may be.

no,his signing still haunt us now and the play was insipid....

he was doing well for a large part of the season tho and i backed him to the end for the same reasons i back the current,i.e we need stability.

funnily enough he went after a big dip in form,not unlike what we are currently suffering from......and i still dont really know what went on to get him sacked.

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

The brand of football that Clement and Pearson served up was disgraceful. Clement, in particular, spent some big money on a lot of players that proved to not be good enough when we just needed a few bodies in key areas to get us over the line. 

Pearson I'd give you that...... Clement..... don't be so soft! 

An awful lot of hindsight going back to Clement's reign. Football wasn't fantastic, results dwindling, some awful awful signings.

Seems like 5 or 10 okay results with a previously underperforming Swansea has made some think we sacked the second coming of Bill Shankly. (although in fairness to some they were genuinely annoyed he went)

Morris won't regret it, there is a reason why Morris refused to comment on the sacking.

I cringe whenever I see a Derby fan saying we should have kept him when Swansea won.

1. His football was horrific to watch.

2. I imagine just before joining Derby he had just watched the footballers wives DVD box set and thought, I'll have some of that.

Archived