Laughing with Houghton

SWRam

Just now, i-Ram said:

Last night was calling out for solidity. Brighton were on a mini-wobble, and we needed to keep them quiet because their fans get easily edgy.

We should have started with Nugent up front, and a solid 5 supporting him, in which l include Ince who always works hard and Russell (ditto) playing a bit deeper - Butterfield, Hughes and Bryson making up the numbers. We would still have not have been physical but we would have got amongst them.  Jesus, 424 with De Sart. 

Last post for a few hours.  Will catch up later.

I was surprised that Russell did not start on the back of his best 2 performances of the season.

Second half with Butterfield, Hughes and Bryson was no better than the first half in my opinion.

The last 3 games have showed how important Bradley Johnson has been to the team this season.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Anon said:

$(KGrHqN,!n0FBZnQPO)sBQcVlO53RQ~~60_35.J

I think this image perfectly sums up my sentiments regarding this thread.

My god he's changed!

He's gone black with grey hair? 

Just shows what the stress of a huge weekly wage packet can do to you.

I get it..it's something and nothing...

Just like players swapping shirts at half-time, or players not applauding the fans when they lose, or players sitting texting when they are subs etc etc.

Doesn't mean I don't find it irritating...Doesn't mean it could be seen as sending out a slightly unprofessional tone or a can't be bothered attitude.

He's the manager, when you're a winner laugh it up..when you're on a bad run look bothered. He's the boss, set the right tone man...might make no difference but I would prefer it!!

38 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

The season is a write off. Why do you care?

Everyone knows it. Majority of fans know it, the players know it so does Mac.

We need an entire squad overhaul. Too many players have failed too many times.

SltlGI.gif

7 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

Honestly, this sort of nonsensical interpretation of others' body language is just so frustrating when it's devoid of even the slightest comprehension of psychology.

Clement suffered from it too. Were you one of the people who argued Clement initially didn't display sufficient emotion on the sidelines by any chance?

When I saw it, my first thought was that it was a bad sign too: for the diametrically opposite reason.

I initially thought it resonated of "We might be in trouble here" to be honest.

But I quickly realised that those were MY concerns....

I suspect that you thought you saw is more likely either (a) what YOU were feeling, or (b) what you'd already decided was Mac's lack of passion.

That's much more likely to be fair to you.

Clements demeanour never bothered me. Watching his recent interviews he comes across as someone who's view is respected. I think he will become a top manager and I wish had stuck with him.  

8 hours ago, Gritters said:

I didn't see the incident myself but if this is true he should get on with preparing for the next game. 

Laughing and enjoying himself when the team is losing. Can things get any worse?

Perhaps you should watch the incident - and Mac's ashen face in the post-match presser - as he basically made it clear that he'd given up hope of turning this squad around without substantial changes.

It amazes me that you, and others, seem to be condemning Mac for waiting until the season really was irretrievably shot to pieces before conceding that.

Isn't that after all what he was doing when he refused to concede our season was over a few weeks ago (as someone earlier criticised him for?

Is it too hard to comprehend the number of complicating factors which mitigate against a Pearsonesque early call? For instance, that much of the squad have been resigned on longer-term deals...including those who we'd probably agree need to be moved on for both their sakes and Derby's.

And not forgetting that, for some of these footballers, playing under Mac again might have been their last psychological crutch....not to mention that Mac may well be wondering if he is potentially even in Derby's plans himself...

In summary, it's all too easy to sit in the cheap seats and hurl negatives. It is a damn sight harder to be constructive.

Sith Happens
8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Didn't go last night, even though it was on my doorstep.  I made the decision a week or so ago, when l listened to an interview with McClaren when he started by talking about the performances of Bairdy and Pearcy, and Scotty. Thought then (again) this is a guy who wants to be mates with the team rather than manage them to success.  

Then last night, with us getting thumped, he wants to joke around with Hughton, and then the crowd. Thoroughly nice man Mac, someone who wants to like and be liked, but not someone who is going to get amongst an underperforming group of players. They didn't look like they wanted to play for him last night, although he didn't help them by going 424 with a lightweight midfield - what was he thinking there? Perhaps he hasn't seen Brighton play before?

Glad l saved my money last night. Glad l was not in the ground as l might have knocked the bloody grin of Mac's face. 

You have a very impressive doorstep.

2 hours ago, europia said:

Clements demeanour never bothered me. Watching his recent interviews he comes across as someone who's view is respected. I think he will become a top manager and I wish had stuck with him.  

I honestly loved Clement's demeanour. I honestly thought that listening to his post-match interviews was always worth it as he struck me as very considered and very thoughtful....even when I was not particularly pleased with some of the messages.

In that sense, I found him similar to McClaren. If you are prepared to listen with an open mind, you could often 

But too many of our fans placed too much importance on the "rah-rah" aspects of the job...and carried on as if the circus didn't meet its clown quota...Hence, Wassell...and I'll say no more for fear of saying something!

Which, in a roundabout way, is an allusion to the key difference I see between how Clement communicated and how McClaren does....or does at times.

While I find them both thoughtful and considered, Clement was more matter-of-fact whereas Mac sugar coats everything for public consumption...

Re Clement, I still suspect the jury is out but I must admit I was pleased for him that Swansea gave him a go...and that it has started well.

Derby treated him abysmally as far as I am concerned.

22 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

Perhaps you should watch the incident - and Mac's ashen face in the post-match presser - as he basically made it clear that he'd given up hope of turning this squad around without substantial changes.

It amazes me that you, and others, seem to be condemning Mac for waiting until the season really was irretrievably shot to pieces before conceding that.

Isn't that after all what he was doing when he refused to concede our season was over a few weeks ago (as someone earlier criticised him for?

Is it too hard to comprehend the number of complicating factors which mitigate against a Pearsonesque early call? For instance, that much of the squad have been resigned on longer-term deals...including those who we'd probably agree need to be moved on for both their sakes and Derby's.

And not forgetting that, for some of these footballers, playing under Mac again might have been their last psychological crutch....not to mention that Mac may well be wondering if he is potentially even in Derby's plans himself...

In summary, it's all too easy to sit in the cheap seats and hurl negatives. It is a damn sight harder to be constructive.

Our season was over before it started. It was only when Schteve came back that we saw a glimmer of light, something to play for.  I doubt Schteve was laughing because he couldn't give two ten bob bits about the club. More like he was being human and doing what most people do and enjoying himself. Hopefully MM will read this thread and instruct SM next time we are losing he should break down in tears and may be pull out a length of rope or a razor blade and show the fans how much the result means to him.

20 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Our season was over before it started. It was only when Schteve came back that we saw a glimmer of light, something to play for.  I doubt Schteve was laughing because he couldn't give two ten bob bits about the club. More like he was being human and doing what most people do and enjoying himself. Hopefully MM will read this thread and instruct SM next time we are losing he should break down in tears and may be pull out a length of rope or a razor blade and show the fans how much the result means to him.

Why do I suddenly suspect Gritters is Swahili or Klingon or some such for "MM" and that you've been planning the razor blade revenge all along?

Just joking.

I must admit that I cringed when, after the squeaky whiners complained that Clement was too cool on the sidelines, he jumped about like a toey rooster crossing the hot tin shed roof separating him from 'release' after we scored the next week.

My enjoyment of us having a serious, thoughtful, non-rah rah manager for the first time since...l can't actually think of one tbh...was never quite the same.

Archived