Don't Sack Mac

Leicester Ram

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Worst thing we could do.

The team is playing absolutely god awful right now, this is truly horrendous but it's what's been coming to us for years. We've had two managers a season, we've bought anything with a pulse, we've changed styles and now we have a squad that is a cluster **** of 4 managers different ideas.

Is it really a surprise that we're going to finish mid-table? 

Tonight (Brighton A) for example:

Keogh is injured so we don't have a ball playing CB. Not even Shackell is fit, so we're stuck with Baird at CB with Pearce. Not only is that pairing un-dynamic, it's not at least as robust as Shackell and Pearce would be.

Johnson is injured and of course Thorne is out, so there's not a single physical midfielder we can call on. de Sart, who clearly isn't ready for the responsibility or demands of playing DM in the Championship is our only option. 

You can't leave him on his own so you have to put one of Butterfield, an unfit Bryson or an out of form Hughes out of position at DM.

The only decent winger we have properly fit is Ince, so you have to play Vydra, a low on confidence ST on the wing. That's already an us dynamic team without much pace, so Nugent's in at CAM.

Then we get to ST itself, when there's not a striker in there who can really hold the ball up and even if they did, no ones really getting close to them. So Bent's the best option, he's the most likely to win a header out of the lot.

You could argue we could have made moves in January, but really it would have been more of the same. Overpaying for average players on long contracts who are no better than what we've already got. I commend the club and McClaren for not dishing out on any ***** in January, it was a stance that we'll benefit from in the long term.

That's what we've come to, that absolute *****, unfunctional team made up of players that could be decent. But they're not, because there's no long-term plan or identity at the club at all, and the playing staff reflect that. It's not McClaren's fault and it's not the players fault. Some of them really shouldn't be here, it's a shame for the players like Ince, Hughes and Keogh who should be here.

But, there are the glimmers of a plan, signs that we're going to turn a corner. McClaren's key to all that, if there's one manager that's had a distinctive plan and identity 

-Martin and Hughes have signed new contracts

-McClaren's got Ince playing like he had him playing last time, he looks like a PL player

-George Thorne is due back and even if he isn't, there's a summer to find another physical DM to compete with Johnson.

Does anyone really think if you gave McClaren a core of Martin, Ince, Hughes, Thorne, Keogh and Carson and a summer to sort out the rest of the team that he couldn't bury us in the championship top 6 next season? He could give us more than just an identity, he could give us a really good one. If it wasn't for ridiculously unlucky injuries I think he'd have taken us up last time, I'm confident he can do it this time.

I believe in McClaren, I really do, I think it says a lot about him that he had this squad and this season anywhere near the play-off's, because it really is a mess.

The last thing we need right now is to change manager again, it's only going to make this mess worse. There's a core of players here that McClaren can build around, he's already got the most important players for the system here, the spine of a team.

He's got the best chance at making the last few seasons actually mean something instead of putting us right back where we started when Clough took over, a mid-table team full of overpaid players that don't fit together.

McClaren's been dealt a bad hand this season, but I think he could kickstart this club again in the summer.

He might have the right eleven p!ayers at some point!but would he necessarily play them in the right order?

15 hours ago, RamNut said:

Where to begin?

when we sacked schteve, i thought we should have kept him and carried on despite misgivings over the newcastle shenanigans, the tactical shambles from the latter part of that season, the chopping and changing of the back four , and the inability to recognise the need to drop Lee Grant.

clement was an unknown who did some good things - sorted out the keeper and the back four and took us top- but is this where the slow over playing at the back started? is this where we lost our tempo?  He was undermined and didn't have the status, the support or the experience to deal with Mel. 

Wassall was a total clown and Redknap an almost comical symbol of how absolutely bizarre the decision making was becoming. If Tommy Docherty had been brought in in a wheelchair i wouldn't have been surprised any more.

Pearson was a shocking appointment.By now Mel was losing credibility in terms of his judgement and direction, and Sam Rush had just reversed all the changes he introduced when nigel clough was sacked.  By the time Pearson went it was definitely a case of  better the devil you know and i was glad to have schteve back and pick up from where we left off. And in fairness soon things were massively improved, but with results and performances going into steep decline, the nagging doubts about the system of playing a lone ineffective striker, two wingers, and a deep holding midfielder - in a totally stretched formation - soon returned. Then all the keezy, pearcey, bairdy nonsense, the bottle kicking, and a sense of deja vu.

Right now i'm on the fence. Like most people i recognise that endless change and churn is damaging, and there are precious few candidates out there. But on the other hand, i now doubt that schteve has the tactical awareness or the leadership qualities to build a reliable and successful team to take us forward. there is also the strange decision to reappoint chris evans to consider and the doubts about our ability to recruit successfully.  Finally the academy seems to be producing not a lot, whilst becoming a home for all the washed up rejects that don't make it as players but join an ever expanding coaching staff. 

All we can concentrate on at the moment is the next match. The small matter of Forest away.

Is tommy doc available,?keep it quiet Sm will be having him as a replacement for Thorne.

17 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Worst thing we could do.

The team is playing absolutely god awful right now, this is truly horrendous but it's what's been coming to us for years. We've had two managers a season, we've bought anything with a pulse, we've changed styles and now we have a squad that is a cluster **** of 4 managers different ideas.

Is it really a surprise that we're going to finish mid-table? 

Tonight (Brighton A) for example:

Keogh is injured so we don't have a ball playing CB. Not even Shackell is fit, so we're stuck with Baird at CB with Pearce. Not only is that pairing un-dynamic, it's not at least as robust as Shackell and Pearce would be.

Johnson is injured and of course Thorne is out, so there's not a single physical midfielder we can call on. de Sart, who clearly isn't ready for the responsibility or demands of playing DM in the Championship is our only option. 

You can't leave him on his own so you have to put one of Butterfield, an unfit Bryson or an out of form Hughes out of position at DM.

The only decent winger we have properly fit is Ince, so you have to play Vydra, a low on confidence ST on the wing. That's already an us dynamic team without much pace, so Nugent's in at CAM.

Then we get to ST itself, when there's not a striker in there who can really hold the ball up and even if they did, no ones really getting close to them. So Bent's the best option, he's the most likely to win a header out of the lot.

You could argue we could have made moves in January, but really it would have been more of the same. Overpaying for average players on long contracts who are no better than what we've already got. I commend the club and McClaren for not dishing out on any ***** in January, it was a stance that we'll benefit from in the long term.

That's what we've come to, that absolute *****, unfunctional team made up of players that could be decent. But they're not, because there's no long-term plan or identity at the club at all, and the playing staff reflect that. It's not McClaren's fault and it's not the players fault. Some of them really shouldn't be here, it's a shame for the players like Ince, Hughes and Keogh who should be here.

But, there are the glimmers of a plan, signs that we're going to turn a corner. McClaren's key to all that, if there's one manager that's had a distinctive plan and identity 

-Martin and Hughes have signed new contracts

-McClaren's got Ince playing like he had him playing last time, he looks like a PL player

-George Thorne is due back and even if he isn't, there's a summer to find another physical DM to compete with Johnson.

Does anyone really think if you gave McClaren a core of Martin, Ince, Hughes, Thorne, Keogh and Carson and a summer to sort out the rest of the team that he couldn't bury us in the championship top 6 next season? He could give us more than just an identity, he could give us a really good one. If it wasn't for ridiculously unlucky injuries I think he'd have taken us up last time, I'm confident he can do it this time.

I believe in McClaren, I really do, I think it says a lot about him that he had this squad and this season anywhere near the play-off's, because it really is a mess.

The last thing we need right now is to change manager again, it's only going to make this mess worse. There's a core of players here that McClaren can build around, he's already got the most important players for the system here, the spine of a team.

He's got the best chance at making the last few seasons actually mean something instead of putting us right back where we started when Clough took over, a mid-table team full of overpaid players that don't fit together.

McClaren's been dealt a bad hand this season, but I think he could kickstart this club again in the summer.

History has shown us that he can indeed "kickstart this club" but it has also shown us that, so far, he has been unable to maintain it.  Should he be given another chance?   Third time lucky?

I'm so glad this thread exists.

It's both exhausting and depressing to see the amount of knee-jerk negative threads appearing at the moment. Why are Derby fans so bad at managing their own expectations? Take a step back and look at the big picture. You cannot blame Mac 100% for our predicament right now - our meandering meltdown has been 3 years in the making.  

Judging from the demands from some quarters, I get the impression an awful lot of these fans must LOVE being in the Championship - because we ain't going anywhere if we keep chopping and changing managers.

8 minutes ago, DesertRam said:

Or buying the wrong players, we have money, lets use it, its worked with Newcastle, what was the

first thing that Benitez did - BUY THE BEST PLAYERS FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP, there's no

secret here.

Didn't Aston Villa do exactly the same? 

On 11 March 2017 at 00:16, Gritters said:

Sack the cut he's useless. 

I'm seriously think about not renewing. 

good idea. If we get a move on we'll have enough time to appoint and sack another manager before the season is over. 

Seriously though, he has to stay and be given at least 12 months (I know others haven't but that's no reason not to give him time). Also, whilst we may have rode our luck at times you can't ignore the good run we went on when he first arrived (including wins against Reading, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday). It lasted too long to be put down to the new manager effect.

My hope is that he spends the rest of the season (now it's over) experimenting and trying to find our best formation/team selection (although there will be new faces in the summer). If he does then I think we can expect more defeats than wins with some possible bad losses (but not against Forest please) as he tries things out in competitive matches instead of fairly meaningless pre-season friendlies. 

Time for patience and expectation of a bumpy ride until the season is over. 

28 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

good idea. If we get a move on we'll have enough time to appoint and sack another manager before the season is over. 

Seriously though, he has to stay and be given at least 12 months (I know others haven't but that's no reason not to give him time). Also, whilst we may have rode our luck at times you can't ignore the good run we went on when he first arrived (including wins against Reading, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday). It lasted too long to be put down to the new manager effect.

My hope is that he spends the rest of the season (now it's over) experimenting and trying to find our best formation/team selection (although there will be new faces in the summer). If he does then I think we can expect more defeats than wins with some possible bad losses (but not against Forest please) as he tries things out in competitive matches instead of fairly meaningless pre-season friendlies. 

Who wrote that quote? Oh it was me at 00:16 I think I was slightly drunk and over reacting to an abysmal performance. I don't think changing managers every 5 mins is the answer. I think put a team together with out putting any more money in. Wheel and deal with what we've got. That will prove McClarens worth.

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

He will not know wot to do with the money if we have anymore u really trust him to reshape our whole squad and get a new squad in he ain't got the bottle he has never done anything like this before. We need some one who has bullocks to do this he ain't all he's got is an umbrella  

On Sat Mar 11 2017 at 00:18, Gritters said:

Endless change seems to have worked out for Leeds.

Sometimes need too , nor every club is the same . It's like in life some people find there match at the first time of asking, some need to try a few out and maybe even try an ex back out before settling.

If McClaren gets sacked I'm not renewing my season ticket. Simple as that because McClaren at least knows our players are overrated,overpaid, bang average fairies and will do something about it in the summer. If a new man comes in it will be more of the same as this season where the new manager will give the players some time to impress and when he realises they're useless, it will be too late. In McClaren I trust.

Archived