Season ticket swap

bucktwo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

I was saying to someone before the game last night that I seem to be falling out of love with football - not just the Rams, but football in general. I'm pretty sure I'll renew (though the buggers can wait until the last minute of the renewal period to get my money), but it's getting harder every year.

I bought my first season ticket in 82 when the club was in a truly horrendous mess on and off the field. Once we avoided going out of business you'd think things could only get better, but I'm sure I had a far greater affinity for the club in those bad old days of the 2nd and 3rd divisions than I do know. I know Mel is doing his best for the club by splashing out bigger and bigger transfer fees, but the more we pay, the more remote the players seem to be - and the more mercenary they appear so that in most cases I don't feel any connection to them at all (I think the 'cars' thread has actually highlighted that). I watch players walking off the pitch having lost a game and in too many cases, it seems that it doesn't matter to them - well it's hard to give a monkey's about them if they feel that way....

I'm feeling a need to get back to basics: Golden Gordon

Perhaps I do need to bite the bullet and start watching non-league rather than keep on wandering along to Pride Park expecting to trudge away disappointed again....

I know what you mean about falling out of love with football. It's the level of cheating and play acting that gets me.

Every team is just as guilty, including Derby, but a couple of examples from yesterday's game:

1) Preston player lying on the floor waiting for Derby to put the ball out. As soon as Preston get the ball, he's up and about.

2) Preston player rolling around on the floor claiming Johnson had elbowed him. Didn't require any treatment and was soon up and about.

As, I say, not trying to pick on PNE, just examples.

I 'd like to see:

1) retrospective punishment for blatant cheating (e.g. Diving for a penalty caught on camera)

2) if you're injured enough for the game to be stopped you MUST go off for treatment

3) Greater punishment for abusing the officials. They often get it wrong but you shouldn't stand there abusing them (only captains should be allowed to question the officials)

4) don't introduce sin bins. The team temporarily a man down will just try and slow the game down until the sin bin penalty is over.

5) if a player is fouled and has to go off for treatment then the perpetrator should also go off otherwise the team that has been wronged actually suffer more. 

Froggg is right, it's in your DNA. At the end of the 2011 - 12 season I didn't renew after about 15 continuous season's. I watched non-league for 3 seasons and I really enjoyed it but then the pull of the Ram's bought me back when MacLaren returned and I've only seen one defeat since buying a new season ticket in October. I will renew because the spark has been re-kindled.

It's 50 years next month since I saw my first game at the Baseball Ground. We were mid-table in the second tier then, exactly where we are now, but with no expectations. Then Tim Ward was sacked, Clough and Taylor arrived and off we went. Let's hope that our fortunes take a similar upturn.

1 hour ago, CHCDerby said:

Next season the club should say that anybody who has a season ticket from the start of the season in the year we get promoted, get a season ticket free for life the whole time we are in the Premier League.

Imagine the atmosphere generated by the supporters if that happened.

total opposite. you attract fairweather bandwagon jumpers taking the offer for monetary reasons, which will, when it inevitably happens, lead to entitlement and groaning when loss occurs, which will then have the adverse effect on atmosphere there after.

I'm renewing even though next season I might have to miss a few games. I feel I owe it to the club. This will be my 4th year having been an occasional visitor over the last 20 or so years. There have been ups and downs but thankfully I avoided the three amigos era and any major heart ache (Wembley excluded ) .. In that time I have seen some entertaining football and sit with a crew of about 10 friends some proper ones and others who are like new neighbours that you get to know a bit more every week. I've had the grey hurtful days of Pearson, the sometimes flat dour days of PC, last nights last minute misery ....but Bents flying header, Ince skipping through a packed defence, Will pirouetting through Leicester, Pearce rising to the challenge, Brysons hat trick, That Day when Jordan Ibe came on and looked like Ronaldo for 5 minutes. Crazy horse Keogh on a mad run up the field. Wouldn't miss it for the world. I grew up elswhere supporting a team who bluntly put won much more often but the ups and downs, fallibility and delight that I've had in these 3 years have rekindled an enthusiasm for the game. (waiting until the end of the month though ;))

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I didn't accuse you of being a half fan. In fact you have my absolute admiration for the journey you've had to endure. I was just curious as to why you renewed a few weeks ago but are now 100% certain you won't renew again. 

I had been drinking a few weeks ago! 

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

I've heard a lot of talk about the fun being gone from match day.

its always 'this time next year'

next season we'll have Thorne back! (Should have been back this year tbh)

next season we'll have Martin back! (Probably get injured playing for Fulham last game)

next season Mac will bring in his own players! (Then we'll be asked to give em time to bed in)

Mac will get the sack and we'll start all over again.

we ought to name the ground "The Groundhog Stadium"

fed up, but will be back for more next season.

That's pretty much how I see things also. I won't be renewing.

I may be wrong but I feel that McClaren is struggling. Regardless that some of the players were signed by others, they're still decent players at this level and capable of much more than they're producing.

It looks to me like he's given up on this season and he's hoping that the return of Martin, Thorne, Fozzy will right all the wrongs. That's not a plan. It's more wishful thinking.

Did he actually learn anything from the back end of his first spell? and can he actually coach the team to have any balance? It feels like we're either scoring but conceding or keeping clean sheets and barely having a shot.

It will be the same next season, and the 'shoot from the hip' approach re. Clement seems to have really backfired. Regardless of what goes on behind the scene's it should be sorted without it affecting the paying public.

I recently heard an interview with Matt Le Tissier, and he said he knew that he was entering an entertainment business when he became a professional footballer and therefore he had to entertain.

I didn't appreciate him at the time but oh how I'd kill for a player like that to break into the Derby team and entertain the fans.

That is what's missing from football now. Not just Derby. Let the players enjoy entertaining us and we'll be forever grateful.

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

total opposite. you attract fairweather bandwagon jumpers taking the offer for monetary reasons, which will, when it inevitably happens, lead to entitlement and groaning when loss occurs, which will then have the adverse effect on atmosphere there after.

Fairweather - did you see all of the empty season ticket seats last night?

Groaning - have you not heard the booing from the paying supporters that seems to get louder?

Atmosphere - our atmosphere couldn't possibly get any worse than it is right now.

I had a couple of years during the early 90's where I couldn't get to many games because I used to work long hours and spend weeks away working around the country and got into the habit of not going to games. As soon as I left that job, I started attending games more and more and got the bug back and now couldn't think of anything worse than sitting at home or going shopping when Derby are playing at home.

1 hour ago, CHCDerby said:

Fairweather - did you see all of the empty season ticket seats last night?

Groaning - have you not heard the booing from the paying supporters that seems to get louder?

Atmosphere - our atmosphere couldn't possibly get any worse than it is right now.

exactly. These are the people you're attracting.

It's the self-entitlement that is killing the atmosphere, and holding us back. This didn't exist before the play off final defeat.

We are a decent championship team that has overspent, but next season we all start on zero - that's one reason I continue to renew. The hope and optimism of the new season. I bloody dread, June and July without any football.

im a 32 year old man with wife, 2-year-old and another due in May. Life is good. But, it still hurts when we lose, it still effects my mood for a while but I still look forward to the next game. Since my grandad took me as an 8-year-old to the BBG matchday routine has changed a few times. I've been going with my dad for the last 15 years. We get to the Brunswick early, we have a few pints and put the world to rights and go to the match. I wouldn't go as far as saying the football is secondary, it isn't because when we lose we both sulk as much as each other.

Two weeks ago my dad suffered a heart attack. Thankfully he'll make a good recovery but in the meantime we've had to change our routine. But neither of us have missed a game. Time is precious; if you feel yours is better spent elsewhere then don't renew. The club, foootball, the routine, the ritual mean different things to different people. I couldn't imagine not having it in my life but I know I'm probably in the minority - I'd be there if we were at the bottom the football league. It's just how it is.

But please, can we drop this sesnse of entitlement? Derby are exactly where we deserve to be.

I've read all of the comments on this thread and have to say in my 60+ years of watching the Rams ( the last twenty as a season ticket holder) I have experienced most if not all of the emotions described .

Sorry to go on but in " the old days" when your own team wasn't doing well, very often people would go to watch an opposition player who perhaps was an international and could do things our players couldn't. We didn't get the game thrust down our throats from every direction and see every goal from every angle like today so football was a novelty we saw every fortnight and for an hour on a Saturday night (one game only) and a live Cup Final at the end of the season.

Even then the Baseball Ground was usually only 1/3 to 1/2 full except on special days against the top of the league or perhaps we had been doing well for a few games. In other words we went to see something different from the norm which in effect was to be entertained and hopefully if the Rams won so much the better . There was never ever any sense of entitlement and even in the really bad times I can never ever remember the team being booed like they are today . Not me I hasten to add.

So I too wonder why I get so gloomy and dispirited when we don't perform ( we're supposed to be better than the other teams) aren't we? because we've spent loads of money, most of it poorly in my opinion. Strangely I don't feel an affinity with many if any of the present squad , I don't know why but no-one excites me like they should .Far too many players with only one foot and plenty that can't head or tackle.  When we go through a game and have less than five shots on target or sometimes less than five shots in total  I do wonder where the game is going. "Are the coaches to blame" ? afraid of being sacked for a few poor results and putting 10 men behind the ball at the first sign of danger, What about the owners who sack the coaches? What about the players earning so much money that the owners need to get good results to be able to pay them? What about all these posh Academies - Are they a box ticking exercise? what evidence is there to support that the vast outlays reap their reward. 

My apologies for going on and probably off topic, just me trying to express my thoughts - Will I still be buying my Season ticket? - Of course I will - hope springs eternal.

7 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I've renewed ! Why not ? Unless there's a genuine reason I don't see why you wouldn't renew ! Clubs in a good place , good manager , good ownership . Need to think ourselves lucky sometimes . Premier leagues not the be all and end all . 

Just the pre 13/14 fans stating this, don't worry mate

Archived