Suicidal substitutions!!

EnigmaRam

What the hell was he thinking throwing on 3 of our worst ball retention players when we are 1 nil up knowing they are going to throw the kitchen sink at us.

blimey what an amateur. Rubbish decissions and I'm not happy. Why oh why didn't someone come on that could keep the ball or tackle. Do we just make substitutions for the sake of it or do we actually apply any logic to what's going on on the pitch!!

eel so sorry for the likes of Ince, butters, Johnson, Vydra and nugent who ran their socks off to be let down.

why do we never leave anyone up the pitch for an outlet

godsmacked and I'm not normally negative like this

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Davide said:

Needed to get fresh legs on. Would have odd not to make subs. Players should be capable of seeing the match out

Why did we need to get fresh legs on? Managers seem to make subs just because they're allowed. When we're defending the game to see it out, I'd rather have somebody on the pitch who has been playing most the game and is up to speed with it rather than a player who has been sat on the bench for over an hour and a half. Fresh legs isn't going to make much difference when you've got two minutes to go. Fair enough if you're pushing for a goal, but I don't see how a sub like Bryson on for Russell is going to make us less likely to concede a goal in the last two minutes of a match.

Nugent hasn't had a lot of match time this season , he hasn't played a full 90 and Bent is a good outlet for crosses and longer balls we were putting across. Camara can cause problems on the counter attack and Bryson needs game time. Preston were bringing on subs too and the players in my opinion looked tired from 80 min on. I don't see how the subs made us draw that match. It was the players hoofing the ball up and sitting back that was the problem. 

10 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Why did we need to get fresh legs on? Managers seem to make subs just because they're allowed. When we're defending the game to see it out, I'd rather have somebody on the pitch who has been playing most the game and is up to speed with it rather than a player who has been sat on the bench for over an hour and a half. Fresh legs isn't going to make much difference when you've got two minutes to go. Fair enough if you're pushing for a goal, but I don't see how a sub like Bryson on for Russell is going to make us less likely to concede a goal in the last two minutes of a match.

This is very true, it takes a good 5-10 minutes for a player to get into the game, so bringing on Bryson that late on doesn't help us at all since Bryson isn't going to instantly come on and be at it

9 minutes ago, Davide said:

Nugent hasn't had a lot of match time this season , he hasn't played a full 90 and Bent is a good outlet for crosses and longer balls we were putting across. Camara can cause problems on the counter attack and Bryson needs game time. Preston were bringing on subs too and the players in my opinion looked tired from 80 min on. I don't see how the subs made us draw that match. It was the players hoofing the ball up and sitting back that was the problem. 

Nugent played 90 against Barnsley. Not that your point is wrong all the same. Just informing :) 

Camara is our worst player. We should have put Anya on instead. He can do just as well on the counter and I'd rely on him to make better decisions when the pressure is on. I was watching Camara for the corner where we cleared it off the line and it was his fault. Lost his man completely and it wasn't even difficult to shake him off. To be honest he shouldn't even be in the box for corners, he's never ever winning a header. 

26 minutes ago, Davide said:

Your problem is Camera and Bent offer nothing from a positional point of view. Players get deep/panic once no one can hold the ball in forward positions. The problem was the subs meant we then had 3 players (in which you can probably include Ince) who are impact players, the players who look to do something that effects the game. When your 1-0 and under the kosh and not in control of the pace of the game you can't afford that amount of players who want to have a free role. You need to be regimented and 'hold fort'. Anya instead of Camera is the stand out sub for that. It's not the only reason for that draw tonight, but Mclaren needs to hold his hands up. It's not the first time he's made that mistake either...

10 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Your problem is Camera and Bent offer nothing from a positional point of view. Players get deep and good/panic once no one can hold the ball in forward positions. The problem was the subs meant we then had 3 players (in which you can probably include Ince) who are impact players, the players who look to do something that effects the game. When your 1-0 and under the kosh and not in control of the pace of the game you can't afford that amount of players who want to have a free role. You need to be regimented and 'hold fort'. Anya instead of Camera is the stand out sub for that. It's not the only reason for that draw tonight, but Mclaren needs to hold his hands up. It's not the first time he's made that mistake either...

The players need to do better. Mac was shouting at everyone to push out, but if the players are so naive to think they can sit deep, hoof the ball up to the Preston team who are pushing higher and higher, then they don't deserve to win matches.

Bent for Nugent isn't ideal but there was no alternative.

Anya should have come on instead of Camara. Anya has played full back and wing back, he knows how to take defensive positions. He also knows to take the ball to the corner when you are 1-0 up with 2 minutes to go.  

When the are pumping long balls into our box, why leave a 6'3" DCM on the bench and bring on a 5'7" ACM. 

Stupidity. 

Nugent ran himself into the ground in 2 games, had to come off, Bent is the only option and he can't keep the ball. Not McC's fault, he didn't get rid of Martin! 

Bryson - we needed legs, right to bring him on, but brought on too late for me

Camara - can only think he wanted to stretch them late on - backfired should've brought Anya on.

Ultimately we paid the price for sitting off them too much at the end. Shame as it was a decent performance and we were well worth the win tonight 

I did find it strange in his interview when he said he wanted to retain the ball yet left our best passer of the ball on the bench. Imo we needed someone like Hughes on just to get the ball down and pass it. Camara offered absolutely nothing, again, at one point he pointed where Olsson should put the ball, into the corner, whilst standing 5 yards from him making no attempt to offer an outlet. Frustrating ending. 

We do need to learn to finish teams off. 

29 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Can't argue overly but it does highlight that camara has shown us absolutely nothing at home and yes he weakened us dramatically when he came on, his time at DCFC may well be numbered

So true,he is useless and should not be at the club.

Amazing that Bent can get blamed for coming off the bench.........he did not receive a decent ball whilst on the pitch in fact I do  not think he got any ball at all.Everything was pumped into space and he chased down every one only to have the ball passed around him because he was the only one doing so.Everyone else just sat and waited for it too come back.

These are the points in games when you need big characters to drag everyone over the line and we sadly lack any off those plenty of experience out there who should know better than to sit in but no big voices.

Should have put Hughes on though because then you get control of the ball and a calmness.

1 minute ago, Beagle said:

Amazing that Bent can get blamed for coming off the bench.........he did not receive a decent ball whilst on the pitch in fact I do  not think he got any ball at all.Everything was pumped into space and he chased down every one only to have the ball passed around him because he was the only one doing so.Everyone else just sat and waited for it too come back.

These are the points in games when you need big characters to drag everyone over the line and we sadly lack any off those plenty of experience out there who should know better than to sit in but no big voices.

Should have put Hughes on though because then you get control of the ball and a calmness.

And Anya should be on too. 

Archived