Jump to content

Passwords


uttoxram75
 Share

Recommended Posts

Nightmare, You need that many of the buggers nowadays its impossible to remember them.

I have started to improve mine  as i used to use names and a few numbers tagged on.

One trick i've found very useful in creating passwords i can remember is to use words from a book or saying or a memory then just use the initial letters.

An example could be a film. Say you first saw "The Life of Brian" at the Odeon in 1976, you could make a password of tloBatO76. Surprisingly easy to remember when you try it.

Any good ideas from the IT experts out there?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use passphrases that are references to my interests(i.e. foods I like, favorite shows,etc.)I have found using passphrases helps me remember better all my logins; and for security purposes, along with using a mix of caps, lowercase,symbols, etc it works nicely as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

password - works a treat, never been hacked...

I have a creative way of of using passwords, using site info and situation, more importantly I have a dedicated credit card that I only use for online purchases, that gets checked and paid off every month.  I don't do online banking, and where possible I do not create an account and use the 'guest' option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

password - works a treat, never been hacked...

I have a creative way of of using passwords, using site info and situation, more importantly I have a dedicated credit card that I only use for online purchases, that gets checked and paid off every month.  I don't do online banking, and where possible I do not create an account and use the 'guest' option.

Ditto ,I used to be a data comms engineer and looked after banking networks amongst others .I would never put my main bank account on line .If anyone tells you they are secure they are lying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I would never put my main bank account on line .If anyone tells you they are secure they are lying.

But the banks are liable for any fraud loss as long as you don't do anything stupid. The onus is on them to make it secure in their own interest.

I'm a bit of a luddite with some things but love the convenience of online/phone app banking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

But the banks are liable for any fraud loss as long as you don't do anything stupid. The onus is on them to make it secure in their own interest.

I'm a bit of a luddite with some things but love the convenience of online/phone app banking.

True, but the onus is on you to prove your innocence in the first place i.e fraudulent withdrawals from ATM's etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd suggest that anyone using the same password for an internet forum as they do for anything important (like email or banking) should rectify that immediately. Unless you are comfortable with the security of that forum's message board software, how it stores passwords etc.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

True, but the onus is on you to prove your innocence in the first place i.e fraudulent withdrawals from ATM's etc.

The FSA says banks should give customers the benefit of the doubt when they claim to be victims of fraud - unless they can prove otherwise. I can't claim that banks always follow this, of course but the responsibility lies with them if they try to palm off responsibility on the customer.

I've had fraudulent transactions once on my credit card - 2 x flights booked in Amsterdam. I phoned the card company as soon as I saw it on my statement - a couple of weeks after the transaction, the money was refunded within a couple of days & never heard anything again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

But the banks are liable for any fraud loss as long as you don't do anything stupid. The onus is on them to make it secure in their own interest.

True. The missus had some fraudulent activity on her Santander account. Two mysterious Standing Orders suddenly appeared for low numbers.

She reported it to Santander and they were very evasive about it, just said they would cancel them but refused to report it to the police, or offer any explanation as to what was going on. They just said that there was no record of them ever being set up.

Having later talked to friends who work in banking they said it is impossible to set up a Standing Order on a personal account without leaving any trace, so it had to be someone using back door access to try and defraud a lot of accounts

As a result she closed her account and neither of us would ever bank with Santander again, or recommend anyone else to.

So well done Santander!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I'd suggest that anyone using the same password for an internet forum as they do for anything important (like email or banking) should rectify that immediately. Unless you are comfortable with the security of that forum's message board software, how it stores passwords etc.

 

 

I use the password dcfc1884 for my banking BUT use a different one to log on here, so I think I'm safe. Up here for thinking, down there for dancing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have been going around the hundreds of sites Im registered on and have been changing email address and password as have had a spate of emails recently from Netflix, Twitch, Twitter, Blizzard etc saying there has been attempts to access my accounts. Seems its coming from old leaks from 360iso, PSX Scene, Plex and some others after checking haveibeenpwned.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.