Chris Bairds 12 month option.

Coneheadjohn

Baird's 12 month option  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Think he is much more Rowetts kind of player than Headless chicken Christie is.

He is better defensively, and can put better balls in the box than Chrisitie.

Your term "Cover" does him a disservice.

Maybe it does, and i may be wrong but its where i see him next season,

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would give him another year, but not sure he will get it.  Gaza has said he intends to trim the squad and he has a point, we have a large squad. 

Would you not start the trim with those out of contract, Baird, Bent etc and perhaps sell a couple of bigger names to bring the players he wants?

43 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

I would give him another year, but not sure he will get it.  Gaza has said he intends to trim the squad and he has a point, we have a large squad. 

Would you not start the trim with those out of contract, Baird, Bent etc and perhaps sell a couple of bigger names to bring the players he wants?

Not if I could move players that can't get a game for a fee.

4 hours ago, Ninos said:

Give me a break. The same criticism was leveled at Johnson Russell Keogh bla bla bla. Bottom line, and although we should keep Baird, is as Sagan says, Christie and Stabana are the future of RB at DCFC. 

So, would you like to point out what aspect Christie has improved in? I don't think he's a bad player, and I'd keep him, although I think Baird is much better.

14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Disagree. I think Christie has become a fine full back who has certanly improved his game, and with the potential to get even better.

Which aspect would you say he has improved in? I find him infuriating in the fact that he refuses to cross first time and often dithers on the ball.

Right now he is playing solid disciplined football and he can cross pretty well. He can also double up as centre back in troubled times. I see no reason not to give him another year. the cost or saving of keeping or getting rid is, I suspect, small beer in comparison to others. He brings a lot to the table for little long term risk. He isn't the future and may end up as cover but that's fine by me because the cost is a years wages which are probably middle ranking and that represents cheap insurance.

The issue of trying to cut down the squad is an important one.

Ive said before as has Owen Bradley eluded to on the phone in..... that this isnt a game of football manager on a games console. You cant put them on the transfer list and wait for bids. Its just not that easy to get rid of players under contract.

Bent will go this summer im pretty sure, and baird I think is on trial because of the need to trim the squad, but if he keeps getting starts, and continues to play well, then no doubt Rowett will offer him that extra year.

If Christie is the future of dcfc then we may as well all **** off to LTLF! One of the most braindead footballers I've ever seen play for Derby, you can have all the technical abality in the world but if you don't have the brains to know how to use it, it's worthless. My heart sinks whenever I see him on the team sheet, his lack of intelligence both slows and breaks down our attacks and negates the effectiveness of Ince. Baird is miles, miles better as a player, just a shame he isn't younger

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

Which aspect would you say he has improved in? I find him infuriating in the fact that he refuses to cross first time and often dithers on the ball.

We're genuinely looking at different players. One of the things I like about Christie is that he nowadays does fire in first-time crosses from time to time! But variety counts for so much in football and I do also like that he very skillful for a full back and has tricks that can beat many opposing fullbacks, and he has incredible pace which helps him out defensively.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We're genuinely looking at different players. One of the things I like about Christie is that he nowadays does fire in first-time crosses from time to time! But variety counts for so much in football and I do also like that he very skillful for a full back and has tricks that can beat many opposing fullbacks, and he has incredible pace which helps him out defensively.

His pace is good, but he always had that! From my point of view, Baird has a much better cross and hits them in way more reliably. I just wish Christie had the brain to match his physical attributes.

Think Christie's been pretty low on confidence this season and it's been a bit of a stop start season for him. Think he'll be really hungry next season; especially if Ireland looks like qualifying for Russia.

Edit: keep Baird about though as competition and 4th choice CB and a midfield option (may allow us to cut down elsewhere in the team).

"We're now only seven points behind. I know there are only six games left but the Championship is a mad, crazy league, so anything can happen.

"We just have to continue the form we're on and hope others slip up.

"Personally, I still think there is a chance."

Well, I thought Baird was intelligent :lol:

11 hours ago, 90sRam said:

Think Christie's been pretty low on confidence this season and it's been a bit of a stop start season for him. Think he'll be really hungry next season; especially if Ireland looks like qualifying for Russia.

Edit: keep Baird about though as competition and 4th choice CB and a midfield option (may allow us to cut down elsewhere in the team).

Don't think lack of confidence explains Christie's weaknesses. I can't think of any other Derby player over many years who has shown such variability in standard of performance as Christie during his time with us. Unfortunately I don't think he is ever going to be consistent enough if we want a team capable of promotion. Baird is much better and he's done well for us this season and would like him to still be around next season.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Baird's current contract expires this summer and the Rams have an option to extend the deal by a further 12 months.

The 35-year-old defender's versatility - he can play full back or centre back - has been valuable this season and Rowett is full of praise for the Northern Ireland international.

"I have had a conversation with him and my opinion is we should activate the clause," Rowett said.

"He is exactly the type of player we want around in the group.

"He has shown that not only is he very versatile, he is also trustworthy in the way he plays the game.

"Just as importantly, his character is right for what we are looking for moving forward."

Archived