Chris Bairds 12 month option.

Coneheadjohn

Baird's 12 month option  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, swiftur said:

Keep baird as cover,2new full backs required+ 2 new centre halfs,[just put my tin helmet on]

Just out of interest - you weren't the guy who contacted Radio Derby after the game saying Rowett needs to get rid of both central defenders were you?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He deserves it and I think he'd give good service. I'd be happy to see him next year.

The only point I could see is wages if he's in the top bracket which is set to shrink.

Pay him in smaller notes,lol

I heard an interview where he didn't sound that interested in a new deal.

he's playing well but i'd prefer that we moved forward with a super dooper new signing and let the older players move on.

12 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Just out of interest - you weren't the guy who contacted Radio Derby after the game saying Rowett needs to get rid of both central defenders were you?

No not me. lots of fans at the game agree though, rowett will sort the wheat from the chaff.

I was happy when we signed him and I was in very small minority who wanted him to replace injured Christie. So I've been pretty much against the grain all the time, why change now? :whistle:

Eventhough I love the way he took his place in a team and especially those breathtaking weighted passes to Ince, I'd say now is good time to part our ways. He'll turn to 36 next season and some day the age will get him.It would be horrible scenario, if we had all to play for, other RB got injured and Baird's legs were gone.

Just for the risk management, I'd thank for the memories, get a new RB in and keep Christe as a back up.

18 minutes ago, swiftur said:

No not me. lots of fans at the game agree though, rowett will sort the wheat from the chaff.

Hope you're right that he does but I'd put money on Keogh retaining his place in Rowetts' defence next season and deservedly so.

I prefer to back the judgement of Martin O'Neil, Nigel Clough, Paul Clement etc rather than some of the dolts who criticise his every move.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Hope you're right that he does but I'd put money on Keogh retaining his place in Rowetts' defence next season and deservedly so.

I prefer to back the judgement of Martin O'Neil, Nigel Clough, Paul Clement etc rather than some of the dolts who criticise his every move.

He helped get two of those the sack!

Not for me. We've stated we're reducing the squad size and I'd prefer the options to be Christie or Anya with Stabana providing cover if need be. Baird has improved (playing for his extension?) but I want a core of 20 instead of 30 players and releasing aging players at the end of their contracts is an obvious method of squad surgery.

We haven't seen Christie under Rowett. I'm confident he'll improve and he has all the attributes to be a far more effective right back than Baird.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

So using that logic you must be suggesting Rowett needs to get rid of the likes of Will Hughes, Chris Martin and Johnny Russell as well?

collective responsibility,but no I would keep Russell and hughes,not convinced about martin coming back though.j

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not for me. We've stated we're reducing the squad size and I'd prefer the options to be Christie or Anya with Stabana providing cover if need be. Baird has improved (playing for his extension?) but I want a core of 20 instead of 30 players and releasing aging players at the end of their contracts is an obvious method of squad surgery.

We haven't seen Christie under Rowett. I'm confident he'll improve and he has all the attributes to be a far more effective right back than Baird.

We haven't see Christie improve under any other manager though. He seems to have stagnated, and each year he performs this same way. For me, it's not about his physical aspects, which he has all of. But can you be taught to have a footballing brain?

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

We haven't see Christie improve under any other manager though. He seems to have stagnated, and each year he performs this same way. For me, it's not about his physical aspects, which he has all of. But can you be taught to have a footballing brain?

Disagree. I think Christie has become a fine full back who has certanly improved his game, and with the potential to get even better.

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Christie hasn't the intelligence. And you can't teach that. 

You might as well not have Ince on the pitch while Christie's on - whereas Baird suits Ince to a tee.

I'd give Baird another 12 months, and keep Christie as back-up. I'd also keep Lowe and Forsyth, and let Olson go. Keogh must stay, and I would like to see Shackell alongside him (but if we get an offer for him, would not be gutted to see him go). I would keep Pearce and let Rawson develop as the other cover. Back five are good enough for me (subject to wages).

The real areas we need to change are midfield and upfront. Again, all subject to wages, but keep Will, George and Bradley - add another young DM, and let Bryson and Butterfield go. Maybe Hanson could be the young DM?

Keep Ince, Anya and Russell, and move on Camara and Blackman. Perhaps Bennet can be the young back up wide - but not convinced.

Keep Nugent and Martin, and move on Bent. 

Vydra stays - but we would need another option. A young Biano would be good. :wub:

anyone else older than 22 or on more than 10k should be moved on.

This is the opinion of Igor - so surely can't be wrong?!

On 5.3.2017 at 17:48, Paul71 said:

Agree 100 %, if he is happy to be squad cover that is i guess. He might want to go somewhere where he can be guaranteed a first team place, i do suspect if we stay free of injuries his game time would be limited.

He has been excellent when called upon this season at right back and now in centre of defence though.

Think he is much more Rowetts kind of player than Headless chicken Christie is.

He is better defensively, and can put better balls in the box than Chrisitie.

Your term "Cover" does him a disservice.

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

Give me a break. The same criticism was leveled at Johnson Russell Keogh bla bla bla. Bottom line, and although we should keep Baird, is as Sagan says, Christie and Stabana are the future of RB at DCFC. 

Archived