Their goal / Defending set pieces

rammieib

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Shackell, the epitome of bravery and commitment?!?!

Where's that facepalm gif!??

Facepalm gif for you post mate, guess you didn't go to the WBA cup game? He's just as committed as Pearce but because he doesn't have that old school roll your sleeves up crap all the muppets don't think he's any good. Pearce is our worst available CB and I count Baird in that.

8 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Facepalm gif for you post mate, guess you didn't go to the WBA cup game? He's just as committed as Pearce but because he doesn't have that old school roll your sleeves up crap all the muppets don't think he's any good. Pearce is our worst available CB and I count Baird in that.

yes, he kept his place for the next game against Leeds and was dire. ONE committed game in TWO spells under Clough, Clement, Wassall, Pearson and McClaren doesn't make him what we needed.

IN this division, and more specifically, to get out of it, you need a balance in defence, and of the type Shackell is, he's worse than Pearce, but I admit, his placing and reading of the game is better then Keogh.

59 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

yes, he kept his place for the next game against Leeds and was dire. ONE committed game in TWO spells under Clough, Clement, Wassall, Pearson and McClaren doesn't make him what we needed.

IN this division, and more specifically, to get out of it, you need a balance in defence, and of the type Shackell is, he's worse than Pearce, but I admit, his placing and reading of the game is better then Keogh.

The whole team was dire vs Leeds. Shackell has got out of this division, if he didn't play for us people would be saying he is the experienced type of proven CB we need. Same old crap from our fans.

4 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Shackell has got out of this division, if he didn't play for us people would be saying he is the experienced type of proven CB we need. Same old crap from our fans.

Surely Pearce has the same experience? 

Shackell has age on his side obviously but if you're talking about promotion and PL experience then you can't ignore what Pearce has achieved previously. 

5 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

The whole team was dire vs Leeds. Shackell has got out of this division, if he didn't play for us people would be saying he is the experienced type of proven CB we need. Same old crap from our fans.

some people did say that when he didn't play for us. Not me. I was onto him last time, and am again. When people slag off the recruitment in recent seasons, signing him is one that is justified criticism. We are no better with him than we were with Buxton and bloody Whitbread!

Isn't it ironic the number of players Derby have signed where their parent clubs have either gained promotion to the Premiership or are in a far better position now than us to gain promotion this season - Shackell could have been playing Premiership football,  Butterfield with Huddersfield,  Blackman with Reading. The words pig and poke spring to mind. 

10 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Isn't it ironic the number of players Derby have signed where their parent clubs have either gained promotion to the Premiership or are in a far better position now than us to gain promotion this season - Shackell could have been playing Premiership football,  Butterfield with Huddersfield,  Blackman with Reading. The words pig and poke spring to mind. 

Yep, it's like rain on your wedding day...

On 04/03/2017 at 22:27, Mostyn6 said:

Shackell, the epitome of bravery and commitment?!?!

Where's that facepalm gif!??

In the air, Shackell is immense. He won't fly in fearlessly, but in the air he is intelligent and rarely beaten. 

We are a small team size wise so these things will happen, what annoys mostly for me is that we don't have the smaller ones on the two posts and if we don't have them there then get them on the half way line and let the opposition drop players back.

shackell is one of the best headers of a ball we have in our penalty area those at WBA this year can easily remember that.

also defensively we are playing without our first choice left back without our first choice centre half and I would say without our second choice centre half so let's keep some perspective.

12 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Some would say Reading have used the Blackman money and Huddersfield the Butterfield money rather well it seems 

Butterfield was poor for their goal, he clearly had no hope of out-jumping a taller, stronger player who was on a run, so he should have done everything possible to stop him getting a clean header on the ball. I suspect that the real problem was a lack of awareness by Butterfield about what was happening around him, and when the Barnsley player jumped into him it was a total surprise. Hopefully he will learn by that.

7 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Butterfield was poor for their goal, he clearly had no hope of out-jumping a taller, stronger player who was on a run, so he should have done everything possible to stop him getting a clean header on the ball. I suspect that the real problem was a lack of awareness by Butterfield about what was happening around him, and when the Barnsley player jumped into him it was a total surprise. Hopefully he will learn by that.

He tried to grab hold of him and shield him away from the ball until he got an arm in the face and an arse on his shoulder.

8 minutes ago, bcnram said:

While I agree with this in part - someone else needs to help him out, namely the taller Christie, for me. Instead he just watches the ball. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 10.24.31.png

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

While I agree with this in part - someone else needs to help him out, namely the taller Christie, for me. Instead he just watches the ball. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 10.24.31.png

Not for the first time, remember Burton away? That said I thought Christie did well overall against Barnsley.

Bradley Johnson has also been guilty on a couple of occasions recently of being static in his own box, neither use nor ornament, in the build up to a goal. Jeff Hendrick used to do it all the time too.

Its the zonal marking that gets me. We are lined up with our back 4 across the 6 yard box then our shorter midfield as in buttterfield and russell on the penalty spot where they were hitting those throws all day. 

Line up man for man our biggest lads on their 5 players in the box then the others near and back post or on the edge picking up other men. Its a percentage game and you want it in your favour more often than not. 

Without the height of Thorne, Forsyth and Martin you need to be even more clever when defending set pieces. We currently are not being smart which is why we look like we are about to concede on every one.

From what I recall it was the first that went that far (although my memory may be wrong). All of the others were towards the font or middle. That one just kept going. I was a bit shocked how far did go. I don't ever remember seeing a throw that long before at PP.

The wind was gusting all over the place so may have had some effect. There was another not that long after where I could see the ball held up by the wind and hardly even reached the 6 yard box.

Archived