Their goal / Defending set pieces

rammieib

Watching their goal back today you have to worry;

1) Pearce gets dragged to the front post when every long throw in all game was reaching the penalty spot.

2) Christie bottles going in and winning it when he is marking nobody. Shambolic.

3) Baird with experience could take control although he and Johnson are marking.

4) Butterfield is marking Matty James. WTF? He must have thought every Christmas had come at once!

5) Carson has to take control on high balls coming in. Whipped or flat balls I understand but a throw in travelling for close on 3 seconds he must take control on.

If this is our standard for set piece defensive set up, god help us because we will concede a lot more. It makes you wonder what Powell does on the defensive set up.

Please get Shackell back in this team.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Agreed Carson should be dealing with long throws. It's going to be coming in slow enough to come and punch at least

The throw landed a long way outside the six yard box, almost on the far post. There's no chance Carson would have been able to get near it.

At the game I thought Carson was most at fault. After watching on television I'm critical of the whole set up.

However for someone to suggest scoring a header from a throw in was a good goal and not a defensive mistake is worrying to say the least.

PistoldPete2
4 hours ago, rammieib said:

Watching their goal back today you have to worry;

1) Pearce gets dragged to the front post when every long throw in all game was reaching the penalty spot.

2) Christie bottles going in and winning it when he is marking nobody. Shambolic.

3) Baird with experience could take control although he and Johnson are marking.

4) Butterfield is marking Matty James. WTF? He must have thought every Christmas had come at once!

5) Carson has to take control on high balls coming in. Whipped or flat balls I understand but a throw in travelling for close on 3 seconds he must take control on.

If this is our standard for set piece defensive set up, god help us because we will concede a lot more. It makes you wonder what Powell does on the defensive set up.

Please get Shackell back in this team.

We got done against Cardiff from a throw in too. Near post header on, leading to a goal. Looked like Pearce and a few others were  expecting the same ... Charged to the near post , but it went into the middle to an unmarked man. Total shambles again. Still we won deservedly but we need to sort this out. 

6 hours ago, rammieib said:

At the game I thought Carson was most at fault. After watching on television I'm critical of the whole set up.

However for someone to suggest scoring a header from a throw in was a good goal and not a defensive mistake is worrying to say the least.

Worrying?

One player gets outjumped, it happens.

Sometimes a player will have to mark someone taller or better in the air than them. 

It was a decent header.

With a throw like that, it's akin to a cross, so should we also not concede any goals from crosses?

Sith Happens
14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Worrying?

Sometimes a player will have to mark someone taller or better in the air than them. 

It was a decent header.

With a throw like that, it's akin to a cross, so should we also not concede any goals from crosses?

Exactly, those goals stoke scored because of delaps throw ins where not all down to defensive msitakes.

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Worrying?

It was a decent header.

Does it not worry you seeing Butterfield marking a bloke and Christie stood still watching it from three yards away.

Nugent should be back as well.

Crosses are different situations. Throw ins allow everyone to organise themselves.

Sorry but out Defensive organisation is shambolic. 

32 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Does it not worry you seeing Butterfield marking a bloke and Christie stood still watching it from three yards away.

Nugent should be back as well.

Crosses are different situations. Throw ins allow everyone to organise themselves.

Sorry but out Defensive organisation is shambolic. 

There are 11 players on each team, someone may end up marking someone taller or better in the air than them.

We've let some shambolic goals in recently, having watched yesterday's back I would not have it in that category.

We've still got the third best defence. Amazing really given the number of soft goals conceded from corners.

i noticed the big no4 wasn't marked on a couple occasions. 

I assumed we'd taken up zonal marking.

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We've still got the third best defence.

Amazing really given the number of soft goals conceded from corners.

i noticed the big no4 wasn't marked on a couple occasions. 

I assumed we'd taken up zonal marking.

Goals happen! It's not as thought that back 4 is our chosen defence.

But even so I thought Butterfield looked a bit rooted to the spot.

Archived