Why the Mac versus Pearson Argument is Daft as Fook

Comrade 86

10 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

If Pearson was all that, wouldn't one of the clubs that have changed their manager since his departure made overtures to him ? There must be half a dozen clubs appointed a new manager yet he hasn't had a modicum of interest, funny that. 

Was not going to join in this debate but.. :thumbsup:

I don't blame Pearson, Pearson was simply a wrong appointment, wrong person, wrong job, just wrong full stop. If you have a leaky bog, you don't contract a brickie and then blame the brickie when he can't fix it.

Pearson could be 'all that' in certain circumstances, he has very specific skills and style. Square peg and all that.

Again the club does not get enough criticism over this appointment.. Just what they were thinking I will never know.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Was not going to join in this debate but.. :thumbsup:

I don't blame Pearson, Pearson was simply a wrong appointment, wrong person, wrong job, just wrong full stop. If you have a leaky bog, you don't contract a brickie and then blame the brickie when he can't fix it.

Pearson could be 'all that' in certain circumstances, he has very specific skills and style. Square peg and all that.

Again the club does not get enough criticism over this appointment.. Just what they were thinking I will never know.

They were thinking what the most vocal fans were saying - we need a strong manager who can deal with these 'overpaid bottlers'. 

Some people have short memories and forget that they were desperate for a Neanderthal manager. 

2 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

They were thinking what the most vocal fans were saying - we need a strong manager who can deal with these 'overpaid bottlers'. 

Some people have short memories and forget that they were desperate for a Neanderthal manager. 

Spot on.

It's amazing how so many peoples opinion on Pearson has changed over time!

5 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Agreed but the club should know better. Not a great period in Derby history in The boardroom. Poor leadership.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Spot on.

Mine has. I thought he was the right man at the time he was appointed, this quickly changed though.

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Mine has. I thought he was the right man at the time he was appointed, this quickly changed though.

Me too, just goes to show what I know. Would love to know what actually happened before that Cardiff game though but I suspect that as with the Clement situation we'll never know.

Sith Happens

Pearson is the only manager in recent years, since Jewell that I have been pleased to hear had gone.

I was saddended when Clough got sacked, though understand the reasons behind it.

Didnt understand McClarens sacking, or at least how it was handled, should have been sacked after the final whistle against reading, or backed. It was a bit farcical that he came out and commited himself to Derby, even did these fan events with Sam Rush to talk about the future, then was sacked several weeks later.

Clement - still dont understand the sacking.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Me too, just goes to show what I know. Would love to know what actually happened before that Cardiff game though but I suspect that as with Clement situation we'll never know.

Agree. I know most people think they know the real reason for Clement, but I am still not convinced.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Spot on.

Not everyone foresaw just how monumental a train wreck it was going to become. It became evident pretty quickly though. I'm not surprised by peoples' opinion having changed. It seems perfectly natural given the circumstances. I am surprised by those who still seem to champion his cause however. 

12 hours ago, Alpha said:

Pearson would have had more time if he had shown one single positive. A couple of good games, a signing, a settled team, some idea of a system or a hint at how he wants to play.

Or if he hadn't have crumbled inside the first 2 minutes and turned into Bruce Lee. 

"You'll know when I'm angry"

Yeah you'll tell people to go and die, call someone an ostrich and kidnapp Crystal Palace players. Ferocious!! 

He couldn't even sell our top scorer. Forget the idea that selling your top scorer might be stupid. Let's say it's a good idea. Pearson couldn't even sell him. 

We didn't even score goals! Lowest scorers in England! 

No positives. Useless waste of space and time. If you start saying we'd be better off with him then I'm claiming if we'd kept Paul Jewell we'd be in the Champions League by now. He's had more promotions to the PL than Pearson. More seasons keeping teams up. And this was Bradford and Wigan!! 

"He needed to rebuild"

#time travel initiated. Destination March 2015#

"Nigel Pearson would have this team promoted. He wouldn't take any of this spineless bottling"

Well tbf he didn't except any bottling, because there wasn't anything to bottle in the first place :lol:

5 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Not everyone foresaw just how monumental a train wreck it was going to become. It became evident pretty quickly though. I'm not surprised by peoples' opinion having changed. It seems perfectly natural given the circumstances. I am surprised by those who still seem to champion his cause however. 

I'm more on about the amount of people who claim he was a poor choice and they never wanted him in the first place

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm more on about the amount of people who claim he was a poor choice and they never wanted him in the first place

Yes those who live by the rule of hindsight :)

13 hours ago, Pearson said:

Pearson had 9 games when he gave his squad a fair crack of the whip. After this he identified who wanted clearing out, and boy do we need a clear out, only for Morris to become involved and seal his fate. Shame he wasn't given the opportunity to see what he could have done.

McClaren on the other hand has had 121 games over two spells and delivered what exactly?

So what was the whole point of pre-season friendlies? He had identified who he wanted rid of after the window was shut? What good is that? If you have the inside knowledge on why Pearson decided to leave before the result of an internal investigation please enlighten us.

McClaren has taken us to a play off final, that we had not been anywhere near in 5 years, he took us to highest point total we had ever achieved for a 3 point season, he got us to the highest ever points total to miss out on a play off (even one season we would have been battling for 2nd place in the last game of the season) We recorded our biggest win over forest in a century, had a player score a hat-trick against them for the first time since Steve Bloomer (also over a century ago) we have had some some absolutely marvellous football, probably the best since Jim Smith, certainly since Burley.

I think the main thing from Mac's previous spell we should take is the fact we were just ambling along under Clough, the last season where we had won more games than we lost was 06/07, 6 years. Mac came in and sparked the club into life.

2 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

Guilty as charged!I was very happy when Pearson was appointed,then the season started and I saw the football.

I'll openly admit that I haven't got a clue.

5 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

"Manager" who thinks Butterfield's place is on the wing :poke:

Case closed.

I remember the Liverpool game where Butterfield was practically right back. What a shambolic period that was. It might not be great right now but I'd wager we'd have been much closer to the bottom had NP stuck around.

56 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I thought he'd do ok to be honest. Never liked him as a character but when the likes of Warburton and co were ruled out for various reasons he and Rowett seemed the best option to me. Take your point though - it's strange since a quick gander at the threads from that time confirm or otherwise folks' thinking at the time.  

I remember posting the thought of Pearson with a Ram on his chest horrified me when he was just being suggested as a possibility but if anybody has me down as a wise after the event merchant I'm fine with it, it's only the internet after all.

@Angry Ram makes a valid point when asking what the board/owner was even thinking about considering him and that they seem to have escaped the criticism they should have received on doing so.

Maybe that was part of the reason McClaren was appointed, deflect our thoughts from a huge error of judgement and get us thinking about the good times under McClaren, who knows ?

29 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Guilty as charged!I was very happy when Pearson was appointed,then the season started and I saw the football.

I'll openly admit that I haven't got a clue.

I'm totally not guilty, I was dismayed when he was appointed but then I know someone who works at Lcfc and told me how he is. 

I have to admit to liking Clement and I like SM, neither appear to be bone heads who intimidate. 

Archived