Derby on alert

King Kevin

13 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I'm not 100 % but wasn't there some idea of mac being thought of as a director of football with a head coach beneath,  around the time he rejoined us?

Could that sort of structure work with monk as head coach?

He signed up to a Masters in football admin when we bought him in, possibly in the belief that no one would employ him as a Manager, so maybe that would interest him in the future?

*Apparently his first few essays and dissertations were remarkable, before his grades got progressively worse and he was kicked off the course.

* This didn't happen, obviously.

Although it is true that Nigel Pearson has enrolled at the same institution, and as soon as he's completed functional skills level 1 he'll be ready to take his FA level 1 badge.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just now, Millenniumram said:

I believe that he means placing Steve mcclaren as the director of football to preside over a new young manager, like monk. I mentioned this the other day, mcclarens done a course in football ownership so may be interested in a 'role upstairs' so to speak. This would allow him to oversee the style and philosophy of football, I suppose you could say check that the 'Derby way' is being adhered to. This would make sure that we don't end up with another Pearson debacle, and would also allow us to employ a younger pragmatic coach, with fresh tactical ideas compared to Mac, and also can bring out consistency in the team. A man we trust to build a new Derby team in the summer, which I think will be the key to our success.

Our posts crossed.  But yes this is exactly what I meant :thumbsup:

Wouldn't put it past Mel to sack Mac but I really don't think it will happen he like us probably never expected us to go up this season so will give Mac a whole season to crack it. We were probably linked with Monk a while back and its just resurfaced due to him stalling on a new deal. 

This sounds like complete b*llocks. Find it near impossible to believe we'd sack ANOTHER manager after such a short spell in charge. But under Mel Morris, one thing I've learnt over the past few years is that anything can happen. 

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

This sounds like complete b*llocks. Find it near impossible to believe we'd sack ANOTHER manager after such a short spell in charge. But under Mel Morris, one thing I've learnt over the past few years is that anything can happen. 

Mac was only given an 18 month contract this time round so either Mel was hedging or he really isn't seen as the long term solution. 

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Good points gents. 

I seemed to remember that when we were linked with Mac 2nd time around he was quoted in the press as saying that he was attending college to learn business  (?) skills.

I remember making a flippant post asking if Mel was prepared to pay for his day release. 

Does that ring any bells with any other members? 

Anyway I was just wondering if mac was possibly - even if misguidedly - looking for a chance to move on from coaching.

When Pearson was manager, wasn't he on day release too?..........................from that mental institution. 

12 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Very good manager.

However, I feel that what is needed is stability and building, gradually, a new team.

I wouldn't be sad at appointing Monk, I would be sad we've just hkne for another sacking. Its basically my exact same thoughts as Rowett.

Or Wagner, he would be the one for me if Mac got sacked.

16 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Ultimately it's irrelevant what the fans think, it's down to Mel. A few more defeats and boo's at home games and Mac might be in trouble.

i like Mac and generally his football, especially Mac 1 but I'm yet to see him stop a slide so hopefully we pick up and get some positive results

I agree 100% with this. I was in favour of MacClaren returning, because I believe he has demonstrated that he can get an average bunch of players playing above their true level. 

Unfortunately, he was unable to stop the slide down the table last time and I suspect he won't this time either. But that's largely down to the unbalanced squad of largely average players.

However, he's never really had the chance to build a team - last time it was an inherited team augmented well with quality loans we could never afford to keep. We do need to see whether he is able to build a team, and if he does, whether they have the quality and grit needed to get out of this division.

I don't think it's fair to judge him on this season, but we do need a reform in the summer which will be interesting to see. Recruitment is key.

How long do we give him? I'd say it has to be at least until next January/February having given him time to build a team and then to see whether it can successfully compete through a good part of the season, including our notorious January implosions.

Archived