Derby on alert

King Kevin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read somewhere Rangers are considering Monk, I'll be surprised if there there is any truth in this and a little dismayed too, unimpressed as I am at our recent performances, the bloke's got to have the chance to sort out the wheat from the chaff surely.

2 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I read somewhere Rangers are considering Monk, I'll be surprised if there there is any truth in this and a little dismayed too, unimpressed as I am at our recent performances, the bloke's got to have the chance to sort out the wheat from the chaff surely.

He is the chaff. 

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Would be an excellent appointment, don't know why Swansea ever sacked him, he's an excellent coach imo, and one more clued up to the modern game than mcclaren. It's a yes from me, however the article is almost certainly bullshit

It's a yes from me too, (I'd rather keep McClaren), but what I'm really hoping for is whoever is in charge next season is given the bloomin' time to sort the squad out. 

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

If you're correct on point 3 (and I hope and think you are) then you do realise that there's some on here who will have absolutely nothing to to post about.

I'm not a huge SM fan but to change manager yet again would be lunacy!

But surely if the manager is the wrong one (and many believe he is, myself included) it would be lunacy to keep him.

5 minutes ago, SWRam said:

But surely if the manager is the wrong one (and many believe he is, myself included) it would be lunacy to keep him.

And it only took us a few months, as opposed to a few years to see it, we were blinded by all those play-off chances!

4 minutes ago, SWRam said:

Ultimately it's irrelevant what the fans think, it's down to Mel. A few more defeats and boo's at home games and Mac might be in trouble.

i like Mac and generally his football, especially Mac 1 but I'm yet to see him stop a slide so hopefully we pick up and get some positive results

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

Ultimately it's irrelevant what the fans think, it's down to Mel. A few more defeats and boo's at home games and Mac might be in trouble.

i like Mac and generally his football, especially Mac 1 but I'm yet to see him stop a slide so hopefully we pick up and get some positive results

The last bit is the most important ... He's never been round long enough to see if he can stop a slide. He is our man. We won't go down, so this period is ideal to test his metal under difficult circumstances . I would be worried if this run continues to season's end but until that happens and not before then Mac is the man. As long as relegation isn't an issue then I really believe a manger needs 3 full years 

1 hour ago, SWRam said:

Some do believe he might be the wrong one but I think they're very much in the minority though.

If I was in MMs' shoes then, having appointed SM, I would give him the summer transfer window and then at least until Christmas to assess the situation before deciding whether a change is necessary. 

The club has already had enough bad publicity because of the McClaren / Clement / Wassall / Pearson debacle so I suppose in part it depends on whether you're a supporter who values the reputation of the team you support or one who wants a certain level of success no matter what another change on the managerial merry-go-round does to sully Derby Countys' image.

This forum was quick to lambast the likes of Leeds and Forest for the frequency of manager sackings - do we really want to continue to operate in a similar way? We need a level of stability, for the next 12 months or so to give McClaren a chance to sort this squad out and restore some balance - if it doesn't work then a further change might be inevitable but at least we won't still be regarded as a sacking club. 

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Some do believe he might be the wrong one but I think they're very much in the minority though.

If I was in MMs' shoes then, having appointed SM, I would give him the summer transfer window and then at least until Christmas to assess the situation before deciding whether a change is necessary. 

The club has already had enough bad publicity because of the McClaren / Clement / Wassall / Pearson debacle so I suppose in part it depends on whether you're a supporter who values the reputation of the team you support or one who wants a certain level of success no matter what another change on the managerial merry-go-round does to sully Derby Countys' image.

This forum was quick to lambast the likes of Leeds and Forest for the frequency of manager sackings - do we really want to continue to operate in a similar way? We need a level of stability, for the next 12 months or so to give McClaren a chance to sort this squad out and restore some balance - if it doesn't work then a further change might be inevitable but at least we won't still be regarded as a sacking club. 

I'm not 100 % but wasn't there some idea of mac being thought of as a director of football with a head coach beneath,  around the time he rejoined us?

Could that sort of structure work with monk as head coach?

10 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I'm not 100 % but wasn't there some idea of mac being thought of as a director of football with a head coach beneath,  around the time he rejoined us?

SM is a number two IMO not a leader ,now where's TBE.

Just now, HantsRam said:

But when McClarens' strengths are discussed, coaching is usually at the top of the list so bringing in a head coach might not be the best option - who would have responsibility for team selection? Apart from his first spell at Twente, most of his success has been as head coach - under Jim Smith then Ferguson but at this stage of his career, I can't see his ego allowing him to revert to a head coach role, working under an experienced Director of Football. Come to think of it, there's no suitable DoF who readily comes to mind.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

But when McClarens' strengths are discussed, coaching is usually at the top of the list so bringing in a head coach might not be the best option - who would have responsibility for team selection? Apart from his first spell at Twente, most of his success has been as head coach - under Jim Smith then Ferguson but at this stage of his career, I can't see his ego allowing him to revert to a head coach role, working under an experienced Director of Football. Come to think of it, there's no suitable DoF who readily comes to mind.

I believe that he means placing Steve mcclaren as the director of football to preside over a new young manager, like monk. I mentioned this the other day, mcclarens done a course in football ownership so may be interested in a 'role upstairs' so to speak. This would allow him to oversee the style and philosophy of football, I suppose you could say check that the 'Derby way' is being adhered to. This would make sure that we don't end up with another Pearson debacle, and would also allow us to employ a younger pragmatic coach, with fresh tactical ideas compared to Mac, and also can bring out consistency in the team. A man we trust to build a new Derby team in the summer, which I think will be the key to our success.

Just now, King Kevin said:

SM is a number two IMO not a leader ,now where's TBE.

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Good points gents. 

I seemed to remember that when we were linked with Mac 2nd time around he was quoted in the press as saying that he was attending college to learn business  (?) skills.

I remember making a flippant post asking if Mel was prepared to pay for his day release. 

Does that ring any bells with any other members? 

Anyway I was just wondering if mac was possibly - even if misguidedly - looking for a chance to move on from coaching.

Archived