Most of these players can only perform without pressure

Mostyn6

Some of them are just plain and simply average (very well paid average) 

we need to improve on that which will only come in the transfer windows if we get it right and since mac left the first time our transfer windows have been fairly dreadful making us steadily worse when you look at the whole of it

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm not sure you can put a time limit on it. We don't have a "right" to be in the Prem so I don't think you can say "if we're not promoted in X years".

For me, success will be to reach the play offs but that doesn't mean he should be sacked if we only finish 7th next year. 

He is the luckiest manager ever.  

I have to move on from McClaren and Derby County worries.   

He gets paid loads of dosh to get stressed out I don't. 

Good luck to the Rams. 

But I'm moving on from worrying about it .

Just now, curtains said:

He is the luckiest manager ever.  

I have to move on from McClaren and Derby County worries.   

He gets paid loads of dosh to get stressed out I don't. 

Good luck to the Rams. 

But I'm moving on take care. 

you need to acknowledge that his recovery from bottom and relegation battle has earned him the right at a summer transfer window. 

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

you need to acknowledge that his recovery from bottom and relegation battle has earned him the right at a summer transfer window. 

Sorry I just don't agree.  

I am moving on from worrying about this anymore.   Take care. 

@Mostyn6.... I think you have made a really good point in using the word character.

special word that .. The ability to get up, spit the teeth and blood out and go again. Sheer bloody mindedness. Not every player has it but every good team needs More than 1 of them. 

Keogh has it but I am not sure who else in our team does. Some show flashes of it but I think it is flattering to deceive. 

20 minutes ago, curtains said:

Sorry I just don't agree.  

I am moving on from worrying about this anymore.   Take care. 

you don't think that getting a team from the bottom 5 to the top 5 in 3 months is a good achievement?

2 hours ago, cannable said:

I'd argue we've faltered due to a combination of injuries and McClaren trying to morph us into a possession side again. 

During our winning run we averaged just 49% possession. We were defending well, deep and in numbers and nicking a goal. Last four games we've averaged 64% possession. 

Perhaps we just don't have the players to break teams down whilst at the same time leaving ourselves more open.

Very interesting, and intelligent, point. Have a like.

I like Keogh but feel we need a different type of Captain. i never really see Keogh motivate others. I've seen other Captains on the pitch this season be vocal and trying to lift the team and help those around him. Don't really see that from Keogh.

What do I know though he's been Captain for a long time now must be a reason behind it.

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

sadly when Keogh shows character, his football ability and decision making disappears!

He had a certain hesitancy a few seasons back and it is probably still there from time to time but he makes no more errors than anyone else. BUT .. He is rapidly becoming my favourite player, not for his ability but for his character. He is never mardy, you don't see his head drop. Give him a wooden stick and he'd charge the enemy artilliary on his own. Not wise .. But that is character. We need more of it all over the pitch.

4 minutes ago, jono said:

He had a certain hesitancy a few seasons back and it is probably still there from time to time but he makes no more errors than anyone else. BUT .. He is rapidly becoming my favourite player, not for his ability but for his character. He is never mardy, you don't see his head drop. Give him a wooden stick and he'd charge the enemy artilliary on his own. Not wise .. But that is character. We need more of it all over the pitch.

I agree. But I'd still rather he wasn't captain amd thought he played better without the armband.

15 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

I like Keogh but feel we need a different type of Captain. i never really see Keogh motivate others. I've seen other Captains on the pitch this season be vocal and trying to lift the team and help those around him. Don't really see that from Keogh.

What do I know though he's been Captain for a long time now must be a reason behind it.

It depends, Oakley is our most successful captain of recent times and he wasnt vocal. I consider it more about having players who lead an area, let's say who controls their area. Even in Oakley's time you had:

Moore/Johnson

Oakley

Howard

In our most rich form we were 

Keogh/Buxton

Thorne or Eustace

Martin

Now aside Keogh we don't really have those players who can control there area. Johnson maybe, but he's been in and out of the team recently 

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Technically, no. These players are not of the right character. But in the meantime, maybe we need to pander to their emotional needs if we want to win! 

Nah that's pretty pathetic...

Some of those players are earning 5 figure sums every week, it shouldn't be up to me or any other fan to have to mollycoddle them to make them play well...

For the record, I very rarely boo (generally only when a distinct lack of effort is on show). However, I can understand other fans at the minute wanting to audibly express their disappointment with the teams' performances recently.

8 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

For the record, I very rarely boo (generally only when a distinct lack of effort is on show). However, I can understand other fans at the minute wanting to audibly express their disappointment with the teams' performances recently.

I'll say it again, its not about being booed (even if not nice for them!) its about not being able to handle the pressure of fans/managements expectations. Yet again when the pressure was on we folded.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'll say it again, its not about being booed (even if not nice for them!) its about not being able to handle the pressure of fans/managements expectations. Yet again when the pressure was on we folded.

If that's the case, the players aren't good enough... it really is as simple as that

It's not wrong for fans to have decent expectations when we've clearly got talented players in ou squad and have flirted with promotion for the last 3/4 years. If the players' can't deal with that, they're in the wrong profession... 

Just now, YorkshireRam said:

If that's the case, the players aren't good enough... it really is as simple as that

Yep. Or maybe they need different on field leadership who can deal with the pressures? Dunno really, they've shown that they're better than we thought but they've also confirmed they're not as good as they can be!

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

you don't think that getting a team from the bottom 5 to the top 5 in 3 months is a good achievement?

So what you have to maintain it.

Mostyn are you employed by DCFC to deflect negative posts by Mel Morris after a bad run of form because you haven't posted much for  yonks. 

26 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Nah that's pretty pathetic...

Some of those players are earning 5 figure sums every week, it shouldn't be up to me or any other fan to have to mollycoddle them to make them play well...

14 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

It's not wrong for fans to have decent expectations when we've clearly got talented players in ou squad and have flirted with promotion for the last 3/4 years. If the players' can't deal with that, they're in the wrong profession... 

I agree, BUT as I say, in the meantime!

Sometimes you have to just get by. Like when you have to be extra nice to someone for a short space of time for the greater good.

I genuinely believe that if the ground was full of happy-clappers pretending we were playing amazing and everyone was awesome, the team would respond and perhaps become a bit more amazing and awesome.

But that's not a reality, and these players are weakminded and lily-livered.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm not sure you can put a time limit on it. We don't have a "right" to be in the Prem so I don't think you can say "if we're not promoted in X years".

For me, success will be to reach the play offs but that doesn't mean he should be sacked if we only finish 7th next year. 

Tamworth mate my expectations are much higher than yours fir DCFC as I'm fed up of Championship mediocrity.

Why couldn't Mel have employed Wagneror Warburton or the much maligned Rowett on this forum. 

Rowett turned us down once but I hope we try again for him. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

So what you have to maintain it.

Mostyn are you employed by DCFC to deflect negative posts by Mel Morris after a bad run of form because you haven't posted much for  yonks. 

thank you.

Thank you for finally admitting you are negative!

Now try and be more realistic. Like a proper fan. It's not fair on the club and it serves no purpose to be negative.

For clarity, I post loads, just avoid certain types of post for my sanity and mental wellbeing.

Archived