Most of these players can only perform without pressure

Mostyn6

I always harp on about the feel good factor. I'm even more convinced now that our lot cannot perform without it! 

When McClaren returned, he did so with an element of excitement from some fans who were just happy to see Pearson and his brand of football removed. 

That excitement was replaced with entitlement and expectation as soon as we hit the play-off places and that's now derailed our progress. 

Sadly, as long as we have groaners and moaners, we will have disappointing results and performances. 

I think that the performing under pressure thing is an interesting point, often the slight difference between good and average.

Which came first though, the fans moaning or the slump owing to 'pressure to perform' ie team change for Leicester, still we should have been good enough - pressure. Getting near the Top 6 with three 'easy' home games, should have been busting a gut to get out there and beat them - pressure.

But no pressure about where their next wage packet is coming from? :D

Every club has fans that moan and groan with high expectations, they are paid the eye watering wages for a reason give the fans a reason to get behind you. I agree it doesn't help, players have commented about the boo boys and how much a good atmosphere helps but at the same time expect that at any football club when things aren't going your way. 

2 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Every club has fans that moan and groan with high expectations, they are paid the eye watering wages for a reason give the fans a reason to get behind you. I agree it doesn't help, players have commented about the boo boys and how much a good atmosphere helps but at the same time expect that at any football club when things aren't going your way. 

Exactly. There's a difference between being able to play under pressure and not liking being booed. Saying booing doesn't help, well yes but the thing that will help is the players learning to deal with high expectations, wanting to be out there when it matters, wanting to win.

20 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I always harp on about the feel good factor. I'm even more convinced now that our lot cannot perform without it! 

When McClaren returned, he did so with an element of excitement from some fans who were just happy to see Pearson and his brand of football removed. 

That excitement was replaced with entitlement and expectation as soon as we hit the play-off places and that's now derailed our progress. 

Sadly, as long as we have groaners and moaners, we will have disappointing results and performances. 

So it's the fans fault again Mostyn 

I'd argue we've faltered due to a combination of injuries and McClaren trying to morph us into a possession side again. 

During our winning run we averaged just 49% possession. We were defending well, deep and in numbers and nicking a goal. Last four games we've averaged 64% possession. 

Perhaps we just don't have the players to break teams down whilst at the same time leaving ourselves more open.

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Technically, no. These players are not of the right character. But in the meantime, maybe we need to pander to their emotional needs if we want to win! 

Now that's nice .

Much more amenable.

Just on the record how long do you give McClaren 1 or 2 or 3 seasons to get it right or do you get someone else in like Warburton or the Huddersfield manager to turn it around and rebuild this squad .

Assuming you have every confidence in McClaren what do you determine as success and what level of failure will you tolerate  

Don't agree with the moaning and abuse at games. No matter if that's how you feel, it's not going to help anything. Booing a player or screaming at him telling him he's **** as he takes a throw in may seem like a fab idea, but I can't see any way it's going to benefit the side or the player at all.

At the same time, this is not just down to fans pressure. We can go on a run where everything is rosey, we're going to win the league, why are we such a faultless team blah blah blah, then suddenly capitulate. It doesn't bode well for the future if your players can't play under pressure. They'll never be top players that can do well in the PL if they can't handle pressure without turning into a Sunday league player. Probably the reason why we won't go up unless there's a major shake up.

I hope the players aren't like Robbie Savage and come on here on alter ego accounts or else they'd be extremely confused. We have threads which basically suggest that Steve McClaren has been sent to Earth by God, saying that we need no extra players to finish in the top two, or asking who we want in the play-offs in December once we've broken in to the top six for 1 game. Fast forward a few weeks later and we're sharpening our pitchforks for McClaren, filling our tanks to personally drive players back to wherever they came from and choosing our dream teams to replace every player in the side. The players will develop bipolar disorder before long.

McLaren comes back teams let us play Football and we starting getting results. Teams then realize sitting back and being tight is the way to beat Derby. 

Happened last time McLaren was in charge shame nothing changed. IMO we need a massive overturn of players. Hopefully a lot leaving and more hungry and players who can actually pass forward and run with the ball instead of letting the other team get back into Formation with the average Derby player running like a 60 Y.O..

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I can't see your correlation between playing under pressure and playing to your potential.  If you are using the flawed measuring system of linking a players transfer fee to their playing performances then this totally flawed from the outset.

Just now, Inglorius said:

I can't see your correlation between playing under pressure and playing to your potential.  If you are using the flawed measuring system of linking a players transfer fee to their playing performances then this totally flawed from the outset.

I don't apply a measuring system related to anything other than out of ten. We all know when a player is 4/10 or 8/10. 

15 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

McLaren comes back teams let us play Football and we starting getting results. Teams then realize sitting back and being tight is the way to beat Derby. 

Happened last time McLaren was in charge shame nothing changed. IMO we need a massive overturn of players. Hopefully a lot leaving and more hungry and players who can actually pass forward and run with the ball instead of letting the other team get back into Formation with the average Derby player running like a 60 Y.O..

They didn't though, barring second half against Forest, first half against Wolves and Rotherham teams were dominating the ball and we were just soaking up pressure and nicking a goal. 

And this idea that teams stifled us last time by "parking the bus" isn't true either. The teams that "did a job on us" were the ones who got in our faces, pressed us high and bullied us. Though it would appear that it's an effective way of neutralising our threat this time. 

Fans aren't the biggest issue at the minute, but to me they do need to take some brunt of the responsibility. Ithink it'll be an interesting summer, I expect ST figures will go down and it's maybe no bad thing. Obviously not from a numbers point of view, but a season like this might thin out a few of the 'wanting to be a part of the success' crowd we got after 13/14. Expectations need to be lowered before we get anywhere. To me it got summed up in the Cardiff game, we weren't playing thaaaaaat well, the crowd were quiet but we got two goals up, fair enough, but then we got arrogant with it.  It wasn't just the team but fans as well with 'oles' etc  mthinking weveerr going to win by 4 or 5. All it did was rile then up and exposed our nervousness. The team needs improving, but fans also need to take some of the brunt too

28 minutes ago, cannable said:

They didn't though, barring second half against Forest, first half against Wolves and Rotherham teams were dominating the ball and we were just soaking up pressure and nicking a goal. 

And this idea that teams stifled us last time by "parking the bus" isn't true either. The teams that "did a job on us" were the ones who got in our faces, pressed us high and bullied us. Though it would appear that it's an effective way of neutralising our threat this time. 

Valid point about closing us down in our half aswell as that works as well. Seems both ways work. It's just too easy and we can't really combat it. The performances before Bristol City wasn't exactly us playing well the only one being Ipswich and they was shocking. 

I don't think we'll have a plan B unless we get players. I'd love players like Murray, Gray, Knockaert, Ritchie and Pritchard unfortunately we seem to let these players go to rivals.

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Now that's nice .

Much more amenable.

Just on the record how long do you give McClaren 1 or 2 or 3 seasons to get it right or do you get someone else in like Warburton or the Huddersfield manager to turn it around and rebuild this squad .

Assuming you have every confidence in McClaren what do you determine as success and what level of failure will you tolerate  

I'm not sure you can put a time limit on it. We don't have a "right" to be in the Prem so I don't think you can say "if we're not promoted in X years".

For me, success will be to reach the play offs but that doesn't mean he should be sacked if we only finish 7th next year.