Nintendo Switch

JG400

15 hours ago, David said:

Titanfall, Overwatch, The Division, Rocket League, Star Wars Battlefront....that's off the top of my head.

I don't understand Nintendo's thought process, why not hold back the console until more games were available to release, £280 and one game to play.

The Zelda hype must be wearing off now, Mario Kart is fun don't get me wrong but it's not a game that can hook you for days/hours. Where are the new creative titles, just rely on tried and tested characters. Bit boring that's all.

Can't agree with this more. I've seen and played on the new Zelda, the only reason it's got 10/10s across the board is because it's a Zelda game. Brings nothing new to the genre in any way. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, David said:

Titanfall, Overwatch, The Division, Rocket League, Star Wars Battlefront....that's off the top of my head.

I don't understand Nintendo's thought process, why not hold back the console until more games were available to release, £280 and one game to play.

The Zelda hype must be wearing off now, Mario Kart is fun don't get me wrong but it's not a game that can hook you for days/hours. Where are the new creative titles, just rely on tried and tested characters. Bit boring that's all.

Just in the interest of debate , you have picked essentially Online games here

Titanfall ---->> Armoured Core (2000) plus any other Mech game you want to pick

Overwatch ---->> reskined Team Fortress ?

The Division --->>(looks like bog standard post apocalyptic future shooter )  Was tempted to get this but it has been generaly caned and seems ruined by cheating anyway, and I still haven't found a better online experience than Battlefield 1942 with the Forgotten Hope Mod (2006) those maps were huge and the game encouraged genuine team play 

Rocket League Yep an original , but then it feels very similar in play to Mario Soccer (2007)  and though I don't like it Nintendo would counter with Splatoon as an Original

Start Wars Battlefront erm....... Star Wars Battlefront (2004) Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2005) a very tired franchise and another caned game that is getting another version sometime soon

Zelda as a concept is old (1986) (Sadly I can remember the original advert)  but each release tries something new within the game. In this version the main change is the move to Open world ( Original game in 1986 is technically open world but that is slightly stretching it in my opinion) and this open world is vast far bigger than Skyrim 

All consoles repeatedly release the same game concept its how they innovate them that makes the game worth while

From my point of view , The switch is trying to tap into the idea of games on the go and console power at home and I think they may have struck gold with the idea , and this is what Nintendo are good at finding new ways to sell the hardware

As I think I said earlier our PS4 is gathering dust , there is very little that inspires me to buy on it that I could buy for my PC which is more powerful than the PS4  

7 minutes ago, JG400 said:

From my point of view , The switch is trying to tap into the idea of games on the go and console power at home and I think they may have struck gold with the idea , and this is what Nintendo are good at finding new ways to sell the hardware

Whilst there the Switch has nailed the on the go and play at home concept, tablets and mobile phones will soon catch up with the games that Nintendo pump out. With better graphics and ram each year it's only a matter of time.

Saying that about the Switch you could also use Apple TV to stream the games to the main tv and buy a controller.

I'm not huge on graphics, prefer gameplay but Nintendo is so far behind on both I couldn't touch one, not at £280.

With the Xbox Scorpio not far away, the Switch will be blown out the water.

1 hour ago, David said:

Whilst there the Switch has nailed the on the go and play at home concept, tablets and mobile phones will soon catch up with the games that Nintendo pump out. With better graphics and ram each year it's only a matter of time.

Saying that about the Switch you could also use Apple TV to stream the games to the main tv and buy a controller.

I'm not huge on graphics, prefer gameplay but Nintendo is so far behind on both I couldn't touch one, not at £280.

Is it worth noting that Nintendo have recently teamed up with Apple to create Mario Run. (Not a big gamer, but doesn't thisnimply that Nintendo are not blind to the fact that smart devices also have a big role to play in mobile / at home gaming). 

My daughter just completed that. Her first experience of Mario (tell a lie, she's getting quite good at MarioKart on the Wii now), and now she can't wait to play more Mario on the Swirch when we get one in a couple of months. 

On 4/28/2017 at 18:07, David said:

People say this time and time again, but what tablets and phones lack is games that are genuinely good. It's all good to have games, but they need to actually be good games, optimised for the platform, that are fun to play. It's the optimisation that kills it for the most part, though the battery life, the requirement of other functions for such platforms, and mobile customers aversion to anything over $5 dollars that seems to be really holding it back as a serious gaming platform. It's been a good 6-7 years of people saying "in the next year or so phones and tablets will take this market", and whilst mobile games have taken a market, they've not taken the market that you're talking about. Japan, the biggest market for "games on the go" favours things like the 3DS and are going nuts for the Switch. Even the Vita didn't do badly in Japan.

Nintendo's biggest problem was that their main market, Japan, wasn't into a home console (the Wii U), which scared the horses, which in turn had knock on effects for the Western market. If the Switch keeps up its momentum in Japan it'll likely pass the Xbone for units sold before next Christmas, particularly if Nintendo can keep up a solid first party title every 1-2 months, which it looks like they're going to manage at least for this year. A dedicated gaming handheld is a market that does exist, and being able to make a hybrid seems to be genius for a company like Nintendo who still rely heavily on the quality of their first party games, they finally aren't spreading their lineup as thin across two consoles. 

For the record I have a suspicion that like the Xbone, the Scorpio is going to be a bit of a flop. Microsoft got off on the wrong foot with the platform, and the lack of hard hitting exclusives have seen them stumble to where they are. You never know though. However, the best console graphically rarely wins out in the console wars. 

Archived