The missing ingredient

plymouthram

25 minutes ago, barnsley ram said:

do you think we have missed johnsons presence in the holding midfield rolel i know his passing wasnt good and he gave the ball away a lot but i think he put himself about quite a bit we kept clean sheets mostly when he played and went on agood unbeaten run and looked very balanced, since  he hasnt played we seem to be going to pieces i thought in the newcastle game he put shelvey out of the game in the second half and we were really unlucky to lose that game

Yes… but at the same time the football and the performances during our winning run embodied what Mel Morris has stated he doesn't want. Results football. JDS has been a big part in us starting to boss possession again. 

I have a feeling that, despite what he's been saying, it's been all about next season for McClaren. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Yes… but at the same time the football and the performances during our winning run embodied what Mel Morris has stated he doesn't want. Results football. JDS has been a big part in us starting to boss possession again. 

Where does one end and the other start, do you think Mel would be that specific?

Personally, I would say our issue lies with the full backs. With the exception of Forsyth, who I really rate, none of our fullbacks has an acceptable level of delivery into the box. Last night, Nugent was getting into good positions in the box (he was winning the majority of his headers) and so frequently both Christie and Lowe hit the first man. No striker can work with that service. Now I know it's the championship, you will never get a perfect fullback, however I would hope we could upgrade on what we have. Christie hasn't really improved much at all during his time at Derby. Lowe is still young and can learn, but I think we need a new lb (if Forsyth won't be ready) and a new rb.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

I'm much more positive on Thorne.  We knew his other knee was going to go at some point, so that *shouldn't* happen again.   Last season, he basically played the whole season without issue - the broken leg is just pure bad luck, there's nothing anyone could do to prevent it, and any other player would suffer the same in the same situation.  If he gets back in time for preseason, I don't see any reason why he can't be a regular starter next season.  Obviously we do need cover though, like we do for any other position.

Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACLR) surgery is a common knee injury procedure, but the overall incidence rate of having to go through it again within 24 months is 6 times greater than someone who has never had an ACL tear, according to researchers presenting their work today at the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine's (AOSSM) Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130711084135.htm

There's a big risk of repeat once you've done your ACL, he's done both, so not good for the risk factor, I really hope he's clear now. 

The leg break is a really strange one, he's way overdue, so something is clearly not right. Again I hope he's back fitter and stronger next season (don't need to risk him this season), he's been desperately unlucky and I feel really sorry for the guy. 

I feel we need to plan to be without him, if he returns great news and we will be much stronger for it, with the bonus of not having to push him when he's been out so long. 

52 minutes ago, cannable said:

I have a feeling that, despite what he's been saying, it's been all about next season for McClaren. 

yes but any team needs to be balanced which is basicaly why we were scoring loads of goals during macs last effort  in which we got to wembley. a well balanced team would have won it but playing mels way we were always hanging on to the goal posts and blowin out of our arses every last quarter of a game as happened at wembley

1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACLR) surgery is a common knee injury procedure, but the overall incidence rate of having to go through it again within 24 months is 6 times greater than someone who has never had an ACL tear, according to researchers presenting their work today at the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine's (AOSSM) Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130711084135.htm

There's a big risk of repeat once you've done your ACL, he's done both, so not good for the risk factor, I really hope he's clear now. 

It's hard to know how to interpret that in this case - Thorne will be beyond 24 months at the start of next season, and that study (from what we can see) doesn't address that, or say how the odds change over time (is it a permanent increased risk, or does the risk tail off the longer a player plays beyond the injury).  And to complicate matters, Thorne has had a year of not playing within that 24 months.  It also states that players/clubs "should take appropriate precautions to prevent injury", so clearly there are things that can be done to mitigate the risks.

It's my understanding that the actual ligament itself is stronger after surgery, but because there are no nerves connected to it, the player is unable to feel when it's under stress and so the player doesn't react the way a normal player would.  So it's all about training the player to make sure they aren't putting unnatural stress on their knees.  And given that Thorne made it through a full season without any problems, I'd hope that the club were working on this.

IMO we've never properly replaced Hendrick. 

I think we've missed Jeff this season, possibly more than Martin (put yer pitchforks down!). I know he was inconsistent, but who isn't at championship level. 

Johnson can get about and break up play like Hendrick, Butters is capable of picking a pass, both have a mean shot on them, but neither had the whole deal like Hendrick did. Hendrick's surges forward dove the midfield up and he also had enough in the tank to help get back and break up the play. 

I know we have a bloated CM situation, and I'm not advocating being rid of either Johnson or Butters, but I believe we need a player like Hendrick to compliment the other two CMs in the 4-3-3. 

F***** if I know who that will be though :whistle:

1 hour ago, mrdave85 said:

IMO we've never properly replaced Hendrick. 

I think we've missed Jeff this season, possibly more than Martin (put yer pitchforks down!). I know he was inconsistent, but who isn't at championship level. 

Johnson can get about and break up play like Hendrick, Butters is capable of picking a pass, both have a mean shot on them, but neither had the whole deal like Hendrick did. Hendrick's surges forward dove the midfield up and he also had enough in the tank to help get back and break up the play. 

I know we have a bloated CM situation, and I'm not advocating being rid of either Johnson or Butters, but I believe we need a player like Hendrick to compliment the other two CMs in the 4-3-3. 

F***** if I know who that will be though :whistle:

IMO we've never properly replaced Eustace! We didn't lose many when he played.

On 2/28/2017 at 14:54, r_wilcockson said:

Brings flash backs of Pearsons tenure. We conceded 0 or 1 goal each game, yet the defenders get hammered and the midfielders and strikers / wingers get off Scot free.

A little harsh but I agree. Mcclaren is clueless on defending but otherwise our managers knew what they were doing. Many of us under PC and NP were banging on about how we had no creativity and no movement in the midfield. Vydra specificallt was making lots of runs but no passes to be found. It's moderately difficult to build a tough defence but to build a creative attacking force with a calculated press ... that's extremely difficult. 

Reality is that we can't pass and attack at pace and haven't been able to for a long time. That translates to no attempts on goal. We are one of the most static teams you'll ever watch. We rely on one player now to create and score.

The missing ingredent is a new right back  a new solid cb (maybe a new captain) fozzy, thorne  a new left winger martin and maybe a cm (ryan woods brentford) 3 in midfield with thorne hughes and woods would smash it and it would be good enough for premier league and they are all still very young 

I am going to cause controversy here but I do believe the missing ingredient is not being able to play this starting 11 on a regular basis. Mainly due to injury, Pearson's short-sightedness with CM and Steve not accepting that Johnny Russell is the best Left Wing option we have.

Carson

Christie               Keogh        Pearce      Forsyth  

Thorne

Hughes            Johnson

Ince                                                          Russell

Martin

I think the biggest missing ingredient is someone we can trust to buy a decent player.  Our recruitment has been abysmal for some time now - I think maybe one in every five permanent signings are a success it is that that has taken us from a buoyant promotion changing club to where we are today.  All the other negative points are just symptoms of the poor signings.

3 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I think the biggest missing ingredient is someone we can trust to buy a decent player.  Our recruitment has been abysmal for some time now - I think maybe one in every five permanent signings are a success it is that that has taken us from a buoyant promotion changing club to where we are today.  All the other negative points are just symptoms of the poor signings.

How have we managed to get a squad that most seem to envy?

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 22:57, hintonsboots said:

Are you recommending Ollie Watkins again.?

Exeter are only 4 points off Automatic promotion and if they make it I reckon he will stay. Agree with some of your points. Maybe someone has pinched all the goals at Moor Farm.

They pinched the nets. Now you have to fetch it yourself from across the road or in the pig farm.

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

How have we managed to get a squad that most seem to envy?

Do you think we have?

I think that we'll find it not to be the case when we try and move players on in the summer.

By my calculations, since Clough left we have signed 48 players and think that only 16 can be classed as successes (1 in 3 rather than my guess of 1 in 5 - although people might think I am being generous with some of my successes).  I think with 4 players it is too early to tell meaning we have made 28 bad signings since 30 September 2013.

Archived