No identity

Mafiabob

Chopping and changing over last two years has not helped this club.

Wheres the identity of this club? What do we stand for? What are trying to achieve? 

We seem to be absolutely aimless at the minute..... quietly shuffling along to next season already.

A fan base I would imagine will drop next season..... away followings starting to dwindle..... except for a few big games.

Really feel meh to be honest about the club currently. I love this club, but it really feels like it's become a toy. A toy which is being mishandled and not treated right. Not maliciously of course..... but feel we are going nowhere fast. 

Mr Morris, I'm begging you..... show us your vision of this club, choose stability..... and above all else. Have humility and create us an identity and a feel good club we can be so proud of. 

Thank you

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CumbrianRam said:

Starting to lose interest rapidly if the players don't care, why should I?

This past month has felt like early 2013.

Posted this in another thread but I feel that some of the players from the play off team are feeling the same way as you. I'm not Russell's biggest fan but for me even he doesn't play with the same passion as he used to. He probably thinks that why should I try when my average teammates(who are paid more) don't do anything.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Mac needs to be given the freedom to make big changes this summer.

Agree entirely, but I fear itchy trigger finger yet again.....

Good post ! The identity needs to be created from within . Not from which ever manager we currently have in charge , managers will come and go , it's modern football that now seems to be the norm. Now if it's a manager that starts this philosophy or a director of football that's for the club to decide but we need an identity.

In cases like this I always use Southampton as the perfect example. They have a style and a philosophy and stick with it from within , managers come and go for whatever reason . But the style changes very little from manager to manager. 

13 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Good post ! The identity needs to be created from within . Not from which ever manager we currently have in charge , managers will come and go , it's modern football that now seems to be the norm. Now if it's a manager that starts this philosophy or a director of football that's for the club to decide but we need an identity.

In cases like this I always use Southampton as the perfect example. They have a style and a philosophy and stick with it from within , managers come and go for whatever reason . But the style changes very little from manager to manager. 

Just feel we are drifting and treading water at present with no real sense of durection. Feel rudderless. 

16 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

Three years ago, seems like 30

It's funny lookin back at that and seeing players like Dawkins and Sammon, two players who let's say got some ribbing from fans for not being world beaters. They may have not cost millions but atleast they had drive and some determination to make things happen and complimented they main players in their style. Im not saying we miss those two specifically, but you do need the odd 'unfancied' players in and around you.

6 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

It's funny lookin back at that and seeing players like Dawkins and Sammon, two players who let's say got some ribbing from fans for not being world beaters. They may have not cost millions but atleast they had drive and some determination to make things happen and complimented they main players in their style. Im not saying we miss those two specifically, but you do need the odd 'unfancied' players in and around you.

Yes spot on regarding unfancied players. You need players in there to do the nitty and gritty work. Ferguson's Man Utd had it with the likes of Darren Fletcher, Park Ji sung, John O'Shea and Wes Brown. The current champions league winners, Real Madrid, have it with the likes of Casemiro and Lucas Vazquez. Heck even what many regard as the greatest club side of all time, Guardiola's Barcelona had it with the likes of Keita,Pedro,Adriano

10 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Yes, we are being beaten week in week out by teams consisting of so called average players.

11 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

And yet when Morris talks about things like this, he gets absolutely slated for it - "let the manager manage", "Morris needs to keep out of football matters" and so on.  People want a manager to have absolute control to sign who he wants, pick the team he wants and play how he wants, but we also want a club identity that will persist over multiple managers.  The only way we can come close to having both, is if each new manager actively wants to play in a very similar way to his predecessor (like McClaren did with Clough).  If we ever get a manager that wants to change things (like we did with Clement and Pearson), then the whole thing blows up, Morris has to 'interfere' and the fanbase goes into meltdown.

If fans genuinely want a club identity, they really need to give up on the idea that a manager should have complete control over the footballing side of a club.  (They also really need to stop calling for the entire squad to be replaced every time we lose a few games).

It can be no surprise that a team that has had 4 managers in 2 years is struggling to carve out an identity of its own. Particularly when the managers we have had have all got very different ideas of how their sides want to play.

This shows in our recruitment which has been shoddy at best since 13/14, our lack of cohesion and our inconsistent results.

Only two things have been constant in this time. Mel Morris and the fans' expectations.

11 hours ago, McLovin said:

Yes spot on regarding unfancied players. You need players in there to do the nitty and gritty work. Ferguson's Man Utd had it with the likes of Darren Fletcher, Park Ji sung, John O'Shea and Wes Brown. The current champions league winners, Real Madrid, have it with the likes of Casemiro and Lucas Vazquez. Heck even what many regard as the greatest club side of all time, Guardiola's Barcelona had it with the likes of Keita,Pedro,Adriano

I can't remember if it's in one of Ferguson's books about this, but yes it's a spot on analysis and something that has left Derby in recent seasons.

I might be saying this in the wrong thread, but read last night someone saying about  a problem being having a lot of players on long term contracts which reminded me of another thing in one of Ferguson's books. This was that he never allowed it for a lot of players to be on long term contracts and for them expire at the same time to each other. His reasoning was that it gave players a certain amount of power over him because they could all leave at the same time if they weren't all kept happy. Or something along those lines anyway, but it's something worth considering when we talk about things that have gone wrong at Derby

Archived