Tonight

swadieram

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pearce is a 3rd rate defender. Keogh and Shackell are the best ones at the club. This summer is a great opportunity to bring in another CB who fits the system.

Pearce was signed in that inbetweeney stage after SM and before PC so not really his fault. But he is far too clumsy.

I can safely say I've given up on these players and this manager after tonight. With the exception of 1 or 2, our players look disinterested and nowhere near Premier League quality. Same old +60% possession that we've seen during both spells with McClaren which never equates to anything, 16 shots and only 2 on target speaks it's own story. McClaren is tactically inept, and has no plan B when pointless passes around the back, crosses into the keepers arms and pot shots don't work out. We'll never get anywhere with this squad, I've tried to stay positive and it's just not possible after seeing the same problems season after season

11 hours ago, Jamie DCFC said:

16 shots and only 2 on target speaks it's own story...pointless passes around the back, crosses into the keepers arms and pot shots don't work out. We'll never get anywhere with this squad, I've tried to stay positive and it's just not possible after seeing the same problems season after season.

So that is Macs fault is it - what miracle do you expect him to perform with those players? It's time they stood up and took the blame.

This is a bloated disjointed squad which is a result of sacking managers who had different ideas.

Thorne, Martin and Fozzy in that side with another midfielder (next one on the list after Lansbury) and possibly a LW will see us playing something like 2013. 

SM has to be given this summer and next season to get us into the top 6 then a decision can be made then.

11 hours ago, Simsy said:

Pearce is bang average at this level. Not the first time he's made a clumsy challenge.  

Shacks and keogh it should be!

While Shackell is a little more cultured, they are probably overall about par with each other. To put it bluntly, they are limited in what they can do. That's fine I don't mean it as a criticism, Buxton was the same and many many other defenders  across all leagues , but you have to able hide the weaknesses. Confidence plays a part, Buxton during 13/14 was excellent as he was brimming with it but never really reached the same consistency after. Pearce also in our good run was the same. To reach that though, you let these players do what they do well and less of not what they can't. Pearce and Shackell when they play have far too much of the ball and opposition teams let them have it, because they know they can't do too much with it. It creates apprehension that filters into other parts of the game. The other big one for me is having effective protection in front of them, Buxton had this with Eustace/Thorne and Pearce had this earlier when Johnson was there (although isn't a long term option). De Sart, for all his cultured passing, isn't offering protection like a player needs to in that role. It stops the likeliness of paces players running at them or being turned out of position. You want these defenders to concentrate on being in the right position, heading and tackling, essentially getting first to the ball. That's when these players look too billing, not when they are expected to be all rounders

Archived