Recruitment

Poynton ram

New poster to the forum but have been following the rams for over 40 years.

Whilst I know money talks do players not want to come to Derby because of its geographical location?

I know that might be true for a number of clubs outside of London and the north west but when you see players like Tammy Abraham going to Bristol City it does make you wonder.

Thoughts?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

In the grand scheme of things Derby is a nice city ,lovely countryside [if you like that sort of thing] great rail and motorway links ,whats not to like.

It is a small city though. Quiet compared to Manchester, London, Birmingham - even Bristol - not saying it is a bad thing, but it is understandable why people might not want to come here. However having said that - everyone has a price and not everyone wants to live in a big city - I don't really think it would play that much of a role in whether a player would want to come here if we were determined to get them.

I think our main issue at the moment is that our recruitment policy seems to be based on looking at the rest of the Championship and then buying their player of the year regardless of whether they would actually work in our team or are any good.

I agree GenBr - I know it is 20 years ago but I look at some of Jim Smith's signings that came out of nowhere. Many of those players I had never heard of, Ron Willems, Rowett, Sean Flynn, Chris Powell, Igor but they seemed to gell quickly during the promotion season. Would be great to unearth a couple of gems in the summer.

1 hour ago, Poynton ram said:

New poster to the forum but have been following the rams for over 40 years.

Whilst I know money talks do players not want to come to Derby because of its geographical location?

I know that might be true for a number of clubs outside of London and the north west but when you see players like Tammy Abraham going to Bristol City it does make you wonder.

Thoughts?

Who's Tammy Abraham?

Archived