DCFC:"Why havent We renewed yet?"

FindernRam

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didnt get a call. There are so many reasons why I shouldn't renew: I am not a fan of the gaffer I get constantly frustrated with team selections and with Martin sure to be back and us playing the same way that's not got us up the last few seasons I have little expectation. Sky will probably give us more coverage with Newcastle premier bound leaving us one of the biggest clubs in this league so is it value for money?

I will renew though because I am way to attached. I just hope it all comes together. 

Strange they are asking people though clearly we are down on renewals then at this stage last year.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

That's a great reason.

It doesn't make any financial sense for me to renew, my lads moved into an adult category, he works Friday and Saturday nights, so Sky moves/late ko's increasingly rule games out.

However, that time we spend together is our time, now he's a young man it's pretty much the only time we spend just the two of us, and I know he loves it, as do I.

If I don't renew, I know I'll find other things to do, and that time will become less and less.

I wait until the week before the cut-off, but that's just to get the interest in my Bank, there's a lot to be said for just turning up at the same turnstile and going up the same steps match in match out to the same seat, and there's just enough nice people around us to drown out the moaning!

The fact I can now send the lad down early to get the half time pints in no way has swayed my decision, even if I don't see the change!

Treasure that time Rev.

My lad is 33 now and settled abroad but on his rare visits back the first priority is to get tickets together at whatever games are on while he's here.

I started taking him to the BBG when he was 5, we had season tickets at Pride Park from when it opened until he went to work abroad. That time was our time, we bonded as father and son watching the Rams. 

I too had the pleasure of sending the lad to get the beer, drinking with him in the Widows and at away games as well.

Apart from family its the single biggest thing he misses about blighty.

@FindernRam I appreciate that the tone and timing of the call is largely what's upset you here but there are one or two points I'd like to address. You've been a tad unfair in places here - but I'm not having a go at you.

1 Lack of entertainment. I can't think of many games over the last few seasons where we have set off home after thinking what a cracking game, we enjoyed that. The play is ponderous and predictable, sideways backwards anyway but forward. No movement off the ball. No shooting to speak of.

Not sure if you made it to the 3-3 draw with Bristol, the 3-0 display against Forest or the 3-2 win against Reading, but in the past couple of months we've had a lot kicking off in our home games. The manner of the first half performance against Bristol City was worrying, but if you left that game without feeling like you were entertained....well then I don't really know what this is all about. That match had a bit of everything.

2 Price: Derby prices are reasonable compared to some  but including car parking pies etc its well over £1000 per season for us. Say it slowly ONE THOUSAND pounds. Think what that would buy! Why spend that if you are not going to enjoy it.

That's more than a fair complaint. I guess that's the society we have built as a country...everything is worth what people are willing to pay. All in the name of profit. The price will only drop when the demand falls.

3 Someone said to me what else would you do on a Saturday afternoon in Derby: Well what I do now. There are hardly any Saturday 3 o'clock games, between Sky and the police most of our home games are at odd days and times and I HATE it! How many more this year?

I hate this too, but this kind of goes against your point about us not being entertaining. We get picked for Sky because our matches are often interesting. Under Nigel Clough, 3 o'clock kick offs were standard. Nobody was interested in us.

4 No stars: We have no real stars in the team to get the juices flowing and I include Martin and Hughes in this statement

Findern Ram, I find this point the most baffling. We play in the Championship - what do you expect? England internationals? Ballon D'Or winners in the twilight of their careers? Ince, Martin and Hughes are about as good as it gets in terms of "star players" in this league and demanding more is completely unrealistic. Most of the league look at those three with envy.

5 No sense of anticipation: I used to look forward to each home game and knew the schedule, now I have to look it up to see who we are playing and I certainly have no expectation of a win anymore, and particularly on a cold night have to drag myself out.

I don't go with the expectation of seeing us win and never have done, but as someone who started watching the Rams as a child in the new millennium, I can see why those expectations might be different. But I don't know what about this season has changed for you on that  - we've been losing very rarely at home for the past half a decade.

I expect to get flamed for this post but I have watched the Rams since 1968 and have never been this disinterested.

There may be a light at the end of the tunnel but we will never get forward enough to see it

I hope you don't see this as me "flaming" you and take it as someone addressing some of the points you make, and given the astronomical price of following a football team, anybody could be forgiven for questioning season ticket renewal each season. It probably explains why so many wait until the last minute to renew.

Lots of fans are saying they feel apathetic or disinterested, but I'm struggling to get my head around it. Especially comments like "this is the worst it's ever been" and ridiculous statements like that (not from you, I know). It's not even the worst it's been this decade.

I've watched the worst season in English football history unfold at Pride Park. I've watched us get hammered at home by Ssausagehorpe United. I've seen us play a left back up front for no good reason. I've seen Robbie Savage. Robbie ******* Savage.

You've watched us since 1968. You've lived through the realisation that Brian Clough wasn't going to come back and that we let the greatest manager that ever lived walk out of the door. You saw Tommy Docherty tragically dismantle the best Derby side of all time. You nearly saw the club die. You've watched us in the third tier. The nonsense of Maxwell, the farce of John Gregory, the lies of the Three Amigoes.

Supporting a club like Derby is mostly disappointment. But there must have been a reason why you've kept coming back since 1968, and supported the club through all those tough moments - tougher than now.

Don't let one misjudged marketing phone call be the reason you give it up.

7 minutes ago, Duracell said:

@FindernRam I appreciate that the tone and timing of the call is largely what's upset you here but there are one or two points I'd like to address. You've been a tad unfair in places here - but I'm not having a go at you.

Not sure if you made it to the 3-3 draw with Bristol, the 3-0 display against Forest or the 3-2 win against Reading, but in the past couple of months we've had a lot kicking off in our home games. The manner of the first half performance against Bristol City was worrying, but if you left that game without feeling like you were entertained....well then I don't really know what this is all about. That match had a bit of everything.

That's more than a fair complaint. I guess that's the society we have built as a country...everything is worth what people are willing to pay. All in the name of profit. The price will only drop when the demand falls.

I hate this too, but this kind of goes against your point about us not being entertaining. We get picked for Sky because our matches are often interesting. Under Nigel Clough, 3 o'clock kick offs were standard. Nobody was interested in us.

Findern Ram, I find this point the most baffling. We play in the Championship - what do you expect? England internationals? Ballon D'Or winners in the twilight of their careers? Ince, Martin and Hughes are about as good as it gets in terms of "star players" in this league and demanding more is completely unrealistic. Most of the league look at those three with envy.

I don't go with the expectation of seeing us win and never have done, but as someone who started watching the Rams as a child in the new millennium, I can see why those expectations might be different. But I don't know what about this season has changed for you on that  - we've been losing very rarely at home for the past half a decade.

I hope you don't see this as me "flaming" you and take it as someone addressing some of the points you make, and given the astronomical price of following a football team, anybody could be forgiven for questioning season ticket renewal each season. It probably explains why so many wait until the last minute to renew.

Lots of fans are saying they feel apathetic or disinterested, but I'm struggling to get my head around it. Especially comments like "this is the worst it's ever been" and ridiculous statements like that (not from you, I know). It's not even the worst it's been this decade.

I've watched the worst season in English football history unfold at Pride Park. I've watched us get hammered at home by Ssausagehorpe United. I've seen us play a left back up front for no good reason. I've seen Robbie Savage. Robbie ******* Savage.

You've watched us since 1968. You've lived through the realisation that Brian Clough wasn't going to come back and that we let the greatest manager that ever lived walk out of the door. You saw Tommy Docherty tragically dismantle the best Derby side of all time. You nearly saw the club die. You've watched us in the third tier. The nonsense of Maxwell, the farce of John Gregory, the lies of the Three Amigoes.

Supporting a club like Derby is mostly disappointment. But there must have been a reason why you've kept coming back since 1968, and supported the club through all those tough moments - tougher than now.

Don't let one misjudged marketing phone call be the reason you give it up.

Bought a tear to me eye that did.

Reminding me of Robbie Savage i mean....:lol:

Hats off to all you season ticket holders. It takes a lot of commitment both financially and personally to attend ,especially considering the amount of games that regularly get moved ,take into account parking ,travel and a bite to eat,it soon mounts up especially if you take the family.

I occasionally travel from south Manchester to watch and leaving at 11 ish not getting home till mid eve ,the week ends gone and not some thing i would enjoy doing on a wet cold miserable evening to see the like of ipswich beat us at home.

We can certainly be proud of our fan base and loyal support considering our standing in the league over the years,long may it continue once a ram always a ram irrespective of players,managers or owner.

2 hours ago, CHCDerby said:

A better advertising ploy would be to have the players put a message on their vest underneath their shirt and when they score, it would read something like:

Season ticket renewal deadline 23 April 2017

Ah, now I know why they rang.

Even better if the players had the message    'Well played? Call 0800 etc etc. Akin to the trucks you see with 'Well Driven?' Call etc etc On their rear . 

Unfortunately Me, The Father, and my son have renewed.. I really.. Really would love not too. It's not out of passion any more or excitement unfortunately, it's an excuse for us all to get together as we'd just be stuck in bored on a Saturday. Wouldn't get to see the Father much otherwise and me and the missus would end up killing each other.

The guy at the Ticker Office said next season we'll have Martin back to look forward too. Unfortunately I believe he's always struggled against 10 men behind the ball what's set to change now!?

11 hours ago, Simsy said:

I didnt get a call. There are so many reasons why I shouldn't renew: I am not a fan of the gaffer I get constantly frustrated with team selections and with Martin sure to be back and us playing the same way that's not got us up the last few seasons I have little expectation. Sky will probably give us more coverage with Newcastle premier bound leaving us one of the biggest clubs in this league so is it value for money?

I will renew though because I am way to attached. I just hope it all comes together. 

Strange they are asking people though clearly we are down on renewals then at this stage last year.

I'm pretty they do this every year, just part of their sales campaign so, I wouldn't take it as any indication of lower sales necessarily. 

Like you I've renewed (did not hesitate) because I am way too attached not to. 

14 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Had a call today from DCFC wanting to know why we haven't renewed. That got my back up straight off as we have another5 weeks to decide!

Reasons we may not (probably not now) renew come out like this:

1 Lack of entertainment. I can't think of many games over the last few seasons where we have set off home after thinking what a cracking game, we enjoyed that. The play is ponderous and predictable, sideways backwards anyway but forward. No movement off the ball. No shooting to speak of.

2 Price: Derby prices are reasonable compared to some  but including car parking pies etc its well over £1000 per season for us. Say it slowly ONE THOUSAND pounds. Think what that would buy! Why spend that if you are not going to enjoy it.

3 Someone said to me what else would you do on a Saturday afternoon in Derby: Well what I do now. There are hardly any Saturday 3 o'clock games, between Sky and the police most of our home games are at odd days and times and I HATE it! How many more this year?

4 No stars: We have no real stars in the team to get the juices flowing and I include Martin and Hughes in this statement.

5 No sense of anticipation: I used to look forward to each home game and knew the schedule, now I have to look it up to see who we are playing and I certainly have no expectation of a win anymore, and particularly on a cold night have to drag myself out.

I expect to get flamed for this post but I have watched the Rams since 1968 and have never been this disinterested.

There may be a light at the end of the tunnel but we will never get forward enough to see it

I'd move seats if I were you. The "pies etc" are optional extras were I sit and I choose not to partake. ;)

I haven't renewed yet for health reasons, works out I've paid around £40 on average per game if I make all the remaining fixtures which is looking doubtful. It's actually currently £80 as I paid for the missus, was the only way to get one ?

Might sue the NHS.

With a lower price for next season I'll renew without a doubt if health improves. That's it. Holding out till the last day to see where it's at, not making a stand against the club or anything like that.

Haven't renewed yet as financially I need to wait til mid March. I will renew though. Because of distance and health I got to less games last season than hoped for, but have decided it's as much about convenience as price for me. It's knowing exactly where I'm going, the people around me, not having to get a ticket etc. Also, I realise that I did go to more games than I would have done if buying single tickets - when my wanting value for money takes precedence!

@Duracell produced a very reasoned response to my post and I thank him for his efforts. It is hard to always get across on "paper" what we feel about something so I'll try to clarify a point or two:

The phone call was not a big factor here apart from stimulating me to write down my feelings. I was already dischuffed! And I don't want somebody getting told off about how he handled the call.

Entertainment value is very subjective  and our views do change over time and not always rationally. I guess its a bit like that ache in your hip (you have to be oldish to know what I mean), it isn't really any worse but you decide to go see the doctor anyway just to take action. Sometimes enough is enough! I'm not convinced Sky pick games rationally given some of the dross they show (and they seem to dislike derby intensely). Yes I was at the Bristol game so watching a poor side put 3 past another poor side in each half was an exercise in frustration not entertainment.

Stars in the team: Its more about charisma I think! Players that drag the others along by sheer force of personality. That's what we need.No I don't expect Messi to show up, but over the years we have had several talisman that seemed to get you going just because they were in the team: Poom Stimak, Kinkladze, Barker, Riggot  and others--and Sav! If Hughes and Ince are so good why are we languishing? Why is Martin not a regular starter for Fulham?  

Expectation is tricky: As a good team you should expect to beat lesser teams and occasionally thrash them, so going into the Bristol game people around me were saying 3 maybe 4 nil. That's partly why you go, to see your team dish out a good hiding playing good football. Never happens anymore.

I agree we have been worse many times but back to my aching hip: Its not getting any better so time to take action!

Archived