My TV licence money goes towards this.

David

8 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

Agree with the sentiment, but unless you're an American, you've spelt licence wrongly.

Sorry, I can't help myself.

Agree!  Licence the noun, license the verb

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind paying for the TV licence......as the missus pays for it.

Saying that I pay for the Sky Q, internet and Netflix, didn't negotiate that very well.

Seeing people get fined in the court section of the papers for non payment is a concern, heard all the arguments for not paying yet still don't understand how you would get away without a fight.

Should be optional, give out logins for the BBC channels and that, many would still pay it and they would have to be more careful with the budget, how many more Z list celebrity's do we need to see prancing around a dance floor or ice rink

7 hours ago, King Kevin said:

You should be able to forfeit the BBC channels and not pay it. 

You sort of can. You don't need one if you have no TV connected to an aerial and no electronic devices with BBC iPlayer installed.

My eldest hasn't got a TV licence. He has a TV but only ever watches stuff via netflix on his Xbox. The License enforcement guys came round and he told them this. They said "OK - sorry to have bothered you"

In related news - this hardly seems like a ringing endorsement of privatising TV Licence enforcement does it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39100048

16 hours ago, StivePesley said:

You sort of can. You don't need one if you have no TV connected to an aerial and no electronic devices with BBC iPlayer installed.

My eldest hasn't got a TV licence. He has a TV but only ever watches stuff via netflix on his Xbox. The License enforcement guys came round and he told them this. They said "OK - sorry to have bothered you"

In related news - this hardly seems like a ringing endorsement of privatising TV Licence enforcement does it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39100048

getting a nice kick back

Not surprised, probably forced to outsource by the tories, and some lord is on the capita board getting a nice kick back.

Yet again the people who are poor financially and probably educationally are being targeted. Great Britain leading the race to the bottom.

23 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Nothing wrong with the principle of communism, just that some people are greedy little ***** and only care about ******* other people over. 

As for licence, should be earnings linked.

That's not the point I was getting at but the problems with communism go beyond how it has been delivered and do lie with the principles of it.

I think the licence (is that right?) should be scrapped. Fancy buying a product from Toshiba or wherever and then having to pay an unrelated company money for no reason under threat of legal action.

I don't see how the principle is any different to the mafia knocking on the door demanding protection money.

This thread is now one post away from spiralling into a libertarian argument about compulsory taxation. Sorry guys :D

1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

That's not the point I was getting at but the problems with communism go beyond how it has been delivered and do lie with the principles of it.

As the 21st century progresses, the more attractive communism looks as an option. Not that it will ever happen, but I have a lot of friends who grew up under communism in East Germany and whilst they fully admit its failings - when you get them onto describing the good things, and the things they miss about it -  it all sounds like the sort of stuff we could totally do with right now

But we digress (again :))

I think the licence (is that right?) should be scrapped. Fancy buying a product from Toshiba or wherever and then having to pay an unrelated company money for no reason under threat of legal action.

I don't see how the principle is any different to the mafia knocking on the door demanding protection money.

This thread is now one post away from spiralling into a libertarian argument about compulsory taxation. Sorry guys :D

Do you have sky, virgin or whatever else is out there, do you own a car, own or rent a house? Virtually everything requires you to pay an additional coat, even a toaster.

If you object paying a pittance for a tv licence just get rid of it and your radio, obviously annoys you so much you would be better off without.

Should we not buy products from Ford or wherever and then have to pay an unrelated company?

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

Do you have sky, virgin or whatever else is out there, do you own a car, own or rent a house? Virtually everything requires you to pay an additional coat, even a toaster.

If you object paying a pittance for a tv licence just get rid of it and your radio, obviously annoys you so much you would be better off without.

And those taxes go into the general coffers. The licence fee funds a channel and news organisation I have no need for.

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

As the 21st century progresses, the more attractive communism looks as an option. Not that it will ever happen, but I have a lot of friends who grew up under communism in East Germany and whilst they fully admit its failings - when you get them onto describing the good things, and the things they miss about it -  it all sounds like the sort of stuff we could totally do with right now

But we digress (again :))

I don't think we need communism. Some regulation but never communism.

Ive got a Slovak colleague who quite likes it too, the madhead.

16 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

And those taxes go into the general coffers. The licence fee funds a channel and news organisation I have no need for.

Yet again only half the facts, I assume your cv is on its way to Donald press corp?

The fee you pay provides a wide range of TV, radio and online content, as well as developing new ways to deliver it to you. In addition to funding BBC programmes and services, a proportion of the licence fee contributes to the costs of rolling out broadband to the UK population and funding Welsh Language TV channel S4C and local TV channels. This was agreed with the government as part of the 2010 licence fee settlement.

The licence fee allows the BBC's UK services to remain free of advertisements and independent of shareholder and political interest.

For 40p a day, its good value for money. The government takes 40p or more a litre on fuel, pity that isn't spent on transport, that should be a hypothecated tax.

18 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Yet again only half the facts, I assume your cv is on its way to Donald press corp?

The fee you pay provides a wide range of TV, radio and online content, as well as developing new ways to deliver it to you. In addition to funding BBC programmes and services, a proportion of the licence fee contributes to the costs of rolling out broadband to the UK population and funding Welsh Language TV channel S4C and local TV channels. This was agreed with the government as part of the 2010 licence fee settlement.

The licence fee allows the BBC's UK services to remain free of advertisements and independent of shareholder and political interest.

For 40p a day, its good value for money. The government takes 40p or more a litre on fuel, pity that isn't spent on transport, that should be a hypothecated tax.

Yet again...

Have you sent your CV to the BBC? (Don't waste your time if you're a white man mind).

What if I would prefer adverts?

What if I don't care about Welsh language programmes or the programmes that they make?

What if I don't agree that the licence fee should fund providing broadband?

What if I have problems with the BBC and feel I should be free to boycott them without losing the ability to use the television set I bought from a seperate company?

Hows about I determine for myself whether or not I think it's value for money?

Compelling evidence of bias in BBC news reporting is uncovered by economist Dr. Oliver Latham in Bias at the BEEB? A quantitative study of slant in BBC Online reporting.

This paper uses objective, quantitative methods, based on the existing academic literature on media bias, to look for evidence of slant in the BBC’s online reporting.

These methods minimise the need for subjective analysis of the content of the BBC news website. As such, they are less susceptible to accusations of partiality on the part of the author than approaches using case studies.

The paper first looks at how often BBC News online cites each of 40 think-tanks in any article between 1 June 2010 and 31 May 2013; and then compares the number of BBC think-tank citations to those of the same think-tanks in The Guardian and The Daily Telegraph (taken as representative of left-of-centre and right-of-centre publications, respectively).

The statistical evidence is clear:

The BBC citations of these 40 think-tanks are “more similar” to that of The Guardian than that of The Daily Telegraph.

In particular, the number of articles on the BBC website mentioning a given think-tank is more highly correlated with its number of mentions in The Guardian than its number of mentions in The Daily Telegraph.

Regression analysis also shows that coverage in The Guardian is a much stronger predictor of coverage by the BBC than is coverage in The Daily Telegraph.

The results suggest that if The Guardian prints an extra 10 articles citing a given think-tank, that think-tank can expect to be mentioned in an additional 7 articles on the BBC News website. In contrast, 10 extra articles in The Daily Telegraph translates to only  3 extra BBC website hits.

Once we control for the coverage a think-tank receives in The Guardian, the number of hits it receives in The Daily Telegraph has no statistically significant correlation with its coverage by the BBC.

These results are robust to a number of alternative specifications, including controlling for single-issue and foreign-policy think-tanks.

The paper then looks at the “health warnings” given to think-tanks of different ideological persuasions when they are mentioned on the BBC website.

It finds that right-of-centre think-tanks are far more likely to receive health warnings than their left-of-centre counterparts (the former received health warnings between 23% and 61% of the time while the latter received them between 0% and 12% of the time).

A higher proportion of left-of-centre think-tanks than right-of-centre think-tanks are referred to as “independent” by the BBC.

This quantitative analysis of think-tank citations and the use of “health warnings” is consistent with existing evidence that the BBC exhibits a left-of-centre slant in its online reporting.

Dr. Oliver Latham concludes:

“Although the effects measured may seem trivial at first glance (who, apart from the think-tanks themselves, really cares if the IPPR is more likely to be referred to as “independent” than the Centre for Policy Studies?), they could be indicative of a wider problem in areas of reporting where slant is harder to measure…

With this in mind the BBC should take steps to implement the recommendations of the BBC Trust report. In addition, the BBC should follow up its previous study with a more wide-ranging investigation that looks not just at the level of coverage given to voices from across the political spectrum, but also the manner in which these voices are presented.”

Tim Knox, Director of the Centre for Policy Studies, comments:

‘Antony Jay has written for the CPS about how, 50 years ago, the institutional liberal bias within the BBC warped its news output:

“We were anti-industry, anti-capitalism, anti-advertising, anti-selling, anti-profit, anti-patriotism, anti-monarchy, anti-Empire, anti-police, anti-armed forces, anti-bomb, anti-authority. Almost anything that made the world a freer, safer and more prosperous place, you name it, we were anti it.”

More recently, BBC insiders such as Peter Sissons, Andrew Marr and Robin Aitken have all confirmed that such prejudices still predominate within the Corporation today. This new evidence, published by the CPS as James Harding takes up his position as Director of News, asks many questions of the BBC. The most important is why should everyone in the UK be forced to pay a poll tax to support an institution which has so conspicuously failed for so long to obey its founding principle of impartiality?’

Media Impact:

Daily Telegraph View - Shuffling desks will not solve the BBC’s problem

Daily Mail - BBC 'is twice as likely to cover Left-wing news stories than Right-wing ones' claims study

Daily Telegraph - BBC is biased toward the left, study finds

Daily Mail - BBC bosses responsible for controversial payoffs are wined and dined by firm probing severance pay deals

City AM - Report claims BBC has a bias towards left-wing think tanks

Trending Central - New report statistically proves BBC bias

Press Gazette – Think tank study claims to prove that the BBC has left-wing bias

Breitbart – Study: BBC ‘twice as likely’ to air liberal leaning stories

Guardian - BBC's handling of news is 'committee-driven', says former Sky news chief

The BBC is not politically neutral ,it also was in receipt of £300,000 worth of EU funding whilst trying to remain neutral during the referendum .Cameron had the BBC in his sights at one point to sort them out another job he failed at.

It's also worth a mention the ridiculous salaries paid along with pensions that we have no choice in funding.

Archived