Corners

NottsRam77

someone please remind me why we're still bringing everyone including darren bent back for corners.

not having a pop at the lad or blaming him for yesterdays defeat obviously, but his man got the ball not once but twice before him.

hes a forward, he defends like a forward, get him out of the box, take a man with u darren and do what u do best.

how many goals must we concede before mac realises hauling everyone back whilst leaving a lovely wide open space around the 6 yard box for them to attack isnt working 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, r_wilcockson said:

If you go to most games you will know that Darren Bent normally stands at the near post and does actually clear a lot of corners away, as he is one of the few players in the team who knows how to head a ball. 

Agreed about Benty clearing it but it is ridiculous that we bring so many back. 

Also ridiculous that we don't attack the space. 

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

Agreed about Benty clearing it but it is ridiculous that we bring so many back. 

Also ridiculous that we don't attack the space. 

Perhaps as Mac knows we are so awful at defending set pieces at the moment, he is going for the safety in numbers approach. 

I do mate, im a season ticket holder, and have been for as long as i can remember

he does, but he also misses his fair share too

Id rather have a defensive minded player doing that job theres minimal room for error in that sort of role and responsibility

if bents on the halfway line its one less player attacking that ball, plus it means we actually have an outlet too

clearly what we do currently isnt working is it 

2 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

Perhaps as Mac knows we are so awful at defending set pieces at the moment, he is going for the safety in numbers approach. 

This is creating the problem. The more we bring back, the more they can take forward. If we leave 3 on the halfway line they have to leave 4 on the half way line...

14 minutes ago, rammieib said:

To be fair, Christie should be clearing that corner....

Yep, agree with that

i guarantee though if that ball had been in their box bent would have reacted twice as quick as he did to it

which goes back to my point that i really dont think we should be bringing players like bent and co back for corners constantly

Doing more harm than good

I have said it many times.We are very poor in the air. We have Carson who rarely comes for crosses and Olssen, Lowe, Hughes, Butterfield, Bryson, Christie, Anya, Camara and De Sart who all struggle.That's a lot to cover for.

Little wonder Bent comes back but we should leave two up front with pace. This would force the opposition to leave three back.

12 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

This is creating the problem. The more we bring back, the more they can take forward. If we leave 3 on the halfway line they have to leave 4 on the half way line...

I totally agree with you IlsonDerby, although I think we should usually have two up. The attacking team will then keep 3 back and we have an outlet, plus the opportunity for Carson to start a quick attack if he claims it.

48 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

I totally agree with you IlsonDerby, although I think we should usually have two up. The attacking team will then keep 3 back and we have an outlet, plus the opportunity for Carson to start a quick attack if he claims it.

Haha, yes except that he's got feet like a clown and his speedy clearance will probably land closer to you!

We can't defend corners and we can't take corners - surely a day on the training pitch could rectify that?

As for leaving someone up - when you've got someone with Ince's pace available,it's daft not to have him on the halfway line - when was the last time we scored a breakaway goal?

14 hours ago, r_wilcockson said:

If you go to most games you will know that Darren Bent normally stands at the near post and does actually clear a lot of corners away, as he is one of the few players in the team who knows how to head a ball. 

That face ! 

That waste of space !

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 08:29, NottsRam77 said:

Yep, agree with that

i guarantee though if that ball had been in their box bent would have reacted twice as quick as he did to it

which goes back to my point that i really dont think we should be bringing players like bent and co back for corners constantly

Doing more harm than good

Bent shouldn't have a marking responsibility but surprised he was on a man. He should be at the near post but this I guess comes back to the lack of height in our team.

Ince, Hughes, Butterfield, Russell, Olsson all cannot mark people at corners. I don't see De Sart using his head either so you're left with limited options...

Archived