1988 V 2017 a simply yet timely comparison

marbs_ram

I was up with 'the boy' at stupid o'clock trying to get him to sleep so I searched for highlights of yesterday's match and came across footage of our last win at villa in 1988,with Ed dawes as dcfc mascot. What a team this was. The most striking things about this team after 15 minutes of watching were:

1)Mark Wright what a player. How we need a player like this. His reading of the game snuffed out so many attacks before they really got going. He looked like he had so much time on the ball and was constantly organising. Would be interested to know who people would select between him and igor if it was a choice of one of them. 

2)the team was compact with no huge gaps between defence and midfield and mid and attack. 

3)I think it was Goddard constantly linking play, dropping deep and on the ball a lot. 

4)speed, pressing and constant snapping.

Then I endured ten minutes highlights of the Burton match from last week. 

1)so slow 

2)no passing options for defence 

3lack of intensity 

4)No forward dropping deep

5)huge gaps between parts of the team. 

A bit of work to be done that's for sure. This has all been written else where but gosh did this make it obvious. 

i was there too. Great day. I watched the 1988 match the other day and we played quite well. Yes, we had a great team at that time but a few of them only came to Derby once we were a top flight club - Shilton, Wright, Deano, Goodard etc. However, the nucleus of that team saw us up from Div3 which is fairly remarkable - Blades, Sage, Forsyth, Micklewhite, Cally, Williams etc.

It makes me smile when folk say things like 'if this team goes up, we'll come straight back down'. The trick is getting up with whichever players it takes, and then refining, buying, selling and continuing to adjust until you get the right fit to do well. This usually means some of the players will be good enough and some will move on / move in. Just like the Rams teams of 84-90; 6 years of incremental improvements where the team finished higher up the league(s) each season. Some of those players were signed on free transfers in Div3 and became established Div1 players. Didn't Geraint Williams cost something like £25k from Bristol Rovers or something? These days, you can see Burnley, Bournemouth, Southampton etc making a very good go at it too. Yes, influence of finance has changed most things but the good managers are producing aspirant teams with a mixture of home grown players / players that have been good enough to play up the leagues and then adding the bigger money players at the right time.

Whether Mac is our Howe or Dyche remains to be seen. 

Our recent history indicates that we go up against the odds when less money is available i.e. King Arthur, TBE and someone else I forget. The big money attempts of 92-95 and just recently haven't worked.... so far.

Maybe tighter squads with less 'stars' and more aspirant players with a point to prove do better? 

21 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

i was there too. Great day. I watched the 1988 match the other day and we played quite well. Yes, we had a great team at that time but a few of them only came to Derby once we were a top flight club - Shilton, Wright, Deano, Goodard etc. However, the nucleus of that team saw us up from Div3 which is fairly remarkable - Blades, Sage, Forsyth, Micklewhite, Cally, Williams etc.

It makes me smile when folk say things like 'if this team goes up, we'll come straight back down'. The trick is getting up with whichever players it takes, and then refining, buying, selling and continuing to adjust until you get the right fit to do well. This usually means some of the players will be good enough and some will move on / move in. Just like the Rams teams of 84-90; 6 years of incremental improvements where the team finished higher up the league(s) each season. Some of those players were signed on free transfers in Div3 and became established Div1 players. Didn't Geraint Williams cost something like £25k from Bristol Rovers or something? These days, you can see Burnley, Bournemouth, Southampton etc making a very good go at it too. Yes, influence of finance has changed most things but the good managers are producing aspirant teams with a mixture of home grown players / players that have been good enough to play up the leagues and then adding the bigger money players at the right time.

Whether Mac is our Howe or Dyche remains to be seen. 

Our recent history indicates that we go up against the odds when less money is available i.e. King Arthur, TBE and someone else I forget. The big money attempts of 92-95 and just recently haven't worked.... so far.

Maybe tighter squads with less 'stars' and more aspirant players with a point to prove do better? 

More thought goes into picking a player when you have little money. 

When teams have money they just tend to sign anyone and everyone they can afford who's a decent play without any thought into the signing. 

£7,000,000 on a beast of a midfielder with over 100 Premier League games and won POTY for 3rd in the league but who can't pass… £2,500,000 for a Premier League quality centre half who can't pass… £2,500,000 on a pacey in behind centre-forward with over 100 Premier League appearences who we ended up shoehorning out wide… they replaced our free centre-half who was an average defender but could ping diagonals with either foot, our natural winger and our midfield runner who's a decent little footballer to boot. This is for a side that wanted to play football…