Johnny Russell

Topram

6 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Failed?.....went from low mid table under clough to a knats hair from being promoted,plus they played the best football at this club for years.

and never replicated that since, the one big difference between then and now that we had the stand out quality of George Thorne in the team without him we are bang average, with him we are above average, he was / is the missing link and sadly he will never again be that player so yeah ..... Failed !

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Can't wait for Russell and bryson to start playing with Martin again next season....

Might quieten down all the ******** being spoken about them at the moment..

Russell can't even get credit when he plays well like today

Give me strength...

Didn't see or read much about game today but if a front three player plays well when we score none and only have one effort on target, we've seriously lowered our standards.

Playing well as an attacker surely means scoring goals, assiting goals with key passes or being creative to make multiple chances.

3 hours ago, 86 points said:

Everyone? Really? And even if this statement had a single shred of credibility, how does it justify your stance on Russell?  All it shows is that you're as blind as you misguidedly assert everyone else is? Two wrongs and all.....

I'm blind? Stats show it he's been involved in 1 goal 

It's hard to have an opinion on here as a lot are still living off passion and 13-14 season which had passion but in 2017 is nowhere near as good, what I don't get is most want new signings but don't want them to get a proper run, ooo Camara had a bad 45 minutes shouldn't play again for Derby but Russell has a  bad full season should play every game so we can get 1 goal out of him all season 

Forsyth, Bryson, Keogh, Russell, Martin, Hughes, Thorne and Bennett are the only players who had a first team apperence in 13/14 left contracted to the club

Two of them out long term injured, one out on loan, one has two league apperances in three seasons ,one in and of out team, finally the other three are regulars.

The starting 11 and subs this season are very different from 13/14.

8 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We were talking about 2014.....just saying  (if you could read whole paragraphs)

You're living in past winkle.. You seem to think that we bung the same ingredients in and the cake will be the same.

And no you are banging on about Russell, Bryson and Martin doing the same next season.

Do you really understand what you post?

you do make me smile... Do you still wear flairs?

11 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Failed?.....went from low mid table under clough to a knats hair from being promoted,plus they played the best football at this club for years.

Really don't get people who said 13/14 was a failure. Best season in years and best football since the 90s. This team is nothing like that one due to the poor recruitment since.

One thing I think most people agree on is this team is not getting promoted any time soon and Changes are needed. If we rip up everything we'll need a cash outlay like Villa which we just don't have.

Need to keep the good players from 13/14,

add some good young hungry competition and promote the likes of Lowe Bennett and possibly Guy and think we can have a team capable of challenging again.

Does Russell fit into this? I personally think he needs to move on and so do we.

Weimanns made a difference has he??

what with a plethora of assists, a truck load of goals?

so wolves are one point above us in form at our joint lowest points return of the season

good grief...quick get him back so he can play a few games just to remind those who've forgot how smack bang average he is and why hes been shunted out.

9 hours ago, Topram said:

It's hard to have an opinion on here as a lot are still living off passion and 13-14 season which had passion but in 2017 is nowhere near as good, what I don't get is most want new signings but don't want them to get a proper run, ooo Camara had a bad 45 minutes shouldn't play again for Derby but Russell has a  bad full season should play every game so we can get 1 goal out of him all season 

Its not hard to have an opinion, its easy. What is more difficult is expecting everyone to agree with you.

So by his standards JR hasn't had as good season, his other 3 have been fairly decent though.

Other players have had poor seasons by comparison, Hughes, bryson, Butterfield maybe?

I am not opposed to someone coming in and putting JR out the team, but sadly no one we have signed has given me the impression they are capable of doing so.

You clearly don't like JR as a player, that's OK, but you cannot expect everyone to just agree with you, clearly a lot of people don't which is why they post disagreeing with you..what do you want, for them to suddenly change their mind because you point out hes only got one goal?

If I post saying Tom Ince should be dropped because he's a bit lightweight and can go missing in games, I would no doubt get a lot of replies telling me I was talking rubbish, despite the fact there could be some truth in what I am saying...(I am not saying BTW that he should be dropped I am just using it as an example).

So have your opinions its OK. Just if most people disagree don't get too upset, just accept sometimes it happens.

We know Russell can do better cos we've seen him do it. However we've never seen it from Anya, Vydra, Blackman, etc.

The players in the squad do not give us a balanced team  and the players themselves have now lost confidence. Who can explain the Cardiff match where we went from excellent to terrible. MacClaren's  team selections just don't convince at the moment. 

Really hope we sell Christie before next season, he will always be a headless chicken. At least Russell looks for other players to pass to.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I would ask only this. 

Do opposition teams look at the team sheet and think 'Oh my god we're playing against Johnny Russell'?

I doubt it, but then the same could be said about our other left wing options.

It's an area we need to improve upon.

Spot on. Russell is nothing special & clearly nowhere near his form of 13/14. But compared to Camara/Anya/Weimann he looks good & at least we know there was once quality there. 

If we recruit in the summer, it has to be a clear improvement. No point adding yet more options at LW for no discernible output.

If you actually watch Russell he's a winger yet when we go on an attack he just drifts inside giving us no width it's like he's hiding, he never beats his man, people are living of his passion but it's never going to be good enough 

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Spot on. Russell is nothing special & clearly nowhere near his form of 13/14. But compared to Camara/Anya/Weimann he looks good & at least we know there was once quality there. 

If we recruit in the summer, it has to be a clear improvement. No point adding yet more options at LW for no discernible output.

13/14's actually Russell's second worst season for us!

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

13/14's actually Russell's second worst season for us!

Is that in terms of pure goals/assists to games return? I do remember his overall play being so much more dynamic/effective that year - if there was a statistic for successful pass completion in the final 3rd or chances created, I suspect his return for 13/14 was significantly higher than 16/17 to date (happy to be proven wrong)

Archived