Exams

Fraser_23

18 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

Im pretty certain on how I will revise, it is now just a case of finding different resources to help me find different persepectives on subjects. I am taking French, pe, history, geography, English, maths, science 

If you search for the exam board and paper that you're taking in each of those subjects you'll find plenty of past papers and a lot of online discussion you'll find useful.

What period of history is your exam on? Might be able to help you with that.

For essay-based exams, before doing any past papers, I'll make spider diagrams (or something similar) on the kind of topics you're likely to be tested on. You only need 5 or 6 balanced points in an essay to absolutely smash it...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Duracell said:

If you search for the exam board and paper that you're taking in each of those subjects you'll find plenty of past papers and a lot of online discussion you'll find useful.

What period of history is your exam on? Might be able to help you with that.

For essay-based exams, before doing any past papers, I'll make spider diagrams (or something similar) on the kind of topics you're likely to be tested on. You only need 5 or 6 balanced points in an essay to absolutely smash it...

We have 4 areas. USA, medicine, Germany and world War One

Revision is only part of the battle, sitting the exam and preparing for that is as critical, I have seen clever people fall to bits when the exam starts.

Revision, as mentioned, should be balanced, indentify your weak areas and look for methods to aid you, don't neglect your areas of strength, it's like a muscle, needs exercise to be in top condition.  Remember no matter how well you plan your revision, things will interrupt it, expect it and don't panic about it, just adapt.

Exam, do past papers, as many as you can as it can be a strong part of your revision, and gets you use to putting knowledge into use.  Read the whole paper from front to back at least twice, then pick off the easy questions, the ones you know you will get the best marks for, then the next lot etc etc.  If you can access a lot of past papers you may see a pattern in the questions, especially science and maths.

It's all about mindset, you have to be calm and focused.  Distraction and stress just makes what you do less effective.

12 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Revision is only part of the battle, sitting the exam and preparing for that is as critical, I have seen clever people fall to bits when the exam starts.

Revision, as mentioned, should be balanced, indentify your weak areas and look for methods to aid you, don't neglect your areas of strength, it's like a muscle, needs exercise to be in top condition.  Remember no matter how well you plan your revision, things will interrupt it, expect it and don't panic about it, just adapt.

Exam, do past papers, as many as you can as it can be a strong part of your revision, and gets you use to putting knowledge into use.  Read the whole paper from front to back at least twice, then pick off the easy questions, the ones you know you will get the best marks for, then the next lot etc etc.  If you can access a lot of past papers you may see a pattern in the questions, especially science and maths.

It's all about mindset, you have to be calm and focused.  Distraction and stress just makes what you do less effective.

@Fraser_23

This is all really good advice from @McRamFan , especially the bit on reading through the exam paper a couple of times when you turn it over. It will give you a pause to gather your thoughts and relax a bit. 

Try and get a look at as many past papers as you can. Examiners always move in circles.

Make a good plan for your revision time. Plot in 'days off'. Relaxing and seeing your mates is absolutely fine as long as you are nailing your revision schedule. The killer is wasting time - stuff like faffing about making toast, checking your phone etc has to be stopped.

Have a clear space to do your work, and hopefully so you can leave books out etc. Park yourself at your work station and bash through it.

Turn the internet off.

Stay fresh and relax - get your sleep in and go for brisk walks to restart your concentration. Also if you are fresh on the day you will boost your performance no end. Caffeine and 'all-nighter' revision is a bad plan.

History is my area - I would say read the course standard text books. You will be amazed at what goes in and stays there. When you are rocking in the exam, you might well drop in another fact about the Kaiser and your B will turn into an A as the examiner realises you like history as much as he does.

I will get off my soap box now. Best of luck and do your best. 'Leave it all on the pitch.' :thumbsup:

Here is my professional advice

dont just read notes, read them then try to write them out without loooking at them. If you don't Manage to write  all of them read them again and try to write them again. Keep going until you can write them all. Do one page at a time. This will help commit facts to your long term memory, I memorised 43 pages of physics notes this way, I can still see the diagrams now (but sadly 21 years has eroded the detail somewhat)

practice questions, find a many sources of questions as you can to practice from. (I will update with some maths specifics web links later) nothing beats a good half an hour of solid practice.

above all don't panic or try to do too much too quickly. Stress will impact negatively.

remember to take breaks and not focus on one subject for too long. Mix up the subjects during the day. 

Find your preferred method. Mine was find a room with a CD player, whack on some music low volume and when the CD stopped take a break and change subject.

good luck 

• 4 months later...

Pretty decent to be fair. Obviously some difficult exams such as Chemistry! Geography practically contained none of the specification that we had all revised, so that was quite annoying. French had vocab we had never seen before! 11 weeks off now ?

Cheers for asking lad 

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

How do you feel these went mate?

Archived