Exams

Fraser_23

I am 16 years old and about to sit my gcses in around 3 months. I was wondering if anybody had any decent websites to use for revision and what revision methods they used? I appreciate that it was a long time ago for some of you and that your memory may not be as sharp as it used to be :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

I am 16 years old and about to sit my gcses in around 3 months. I was wondering if anybody had any decent websites to use for revision and what revision methods they used? I appreciate that it was a long time ago for some of you and that your memory may not be as sharp as it used to be :D

Wrong forum, doubt we could muster a GCSE between us mate.

I used My Maths for, errm maths, obviously. 

Is BBC Bitesize still going? I used that for History. They had some podcast type things that you can download and just listen to when you're not really in the mood to revise. It goes in without you realising.

I don't think there's one definitive way to revise but just reading is probably the worst thing. You need to answer some questions on what you've just read to make sure you've understood it I think.

Do a plan and stick to it. You're not going to feel like doing it every night but just make sure that when you've planned to do it, do it - procrastination is the enemy. 3 or 4 nights a week for an hour or two is probably enough.

Lucky for you though it's not the Euro's or the World Cup this year...

Good luck and don't worry about them. They're not the be all and end all.

Did my gcses last year so should really be able to help you, sadly I feel like David is right on what I did on exam leave:ermm:. In all seriousness, constantly going over key facts and drilling them into your head is always useful, as well as doing past questions. Can't say I really used any websites, just went through my revision guides really. Key things to know are how to answer questions as well as the content you need in them, mark schemes can sometimes be ridiculously harsh. Good luck mate, sure you'll be fine, if I can pass gcse business then anyone can pass anything! This has reminded me that my AS levels are in 3 months, bit of a depressing thought on a Friday night:lol:

1 hour ago, Fraser_23 said:

Good luck mate,and its not just the memory thats not sharp anymore?

23 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I used My Maths for, errm maths, obviously. 

Is BBC Bitesize still going? I used that for History. They had some podcast type things that you can download and just listen to when you're not really in the mood to revise. It goes in without you realising.

I don't think there's one definitive way to revise but just reading is probably the worst thing. You need to answer some questions on what you've just read to make sure you've understood it I think.

Do a plan and stick to it. You're not going to feel like doing it every night but just make sure that when you've planned to do it, do it - procrastination is the enemy. 3 or 4 nights a week for an hour or two is probably enough.

Lucky for you though it's not the Euro's or the World Cup this year...

Good luck and don't worry about them. They're not the be all and end all.

Thanks for the advice mate 

1 hour ago, Fraser_23 said:

http://www.my-gcsescience.com is an outstanding resource for the sciences. You get B1, C1 and P1 free but you have to pay for the rest; I would seriously recommend it though, it really helped me get A*s in all three sciences. I did mine last year so it should be pretty much up to date.

I actually asked David to ban me from the forum during the revision period so I could focus on my work properly. It was useful and ensured I didn't get distracted as much as I would have. 

Good luck mate and keep us updated on how you get on.

46 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

http://www.my-gcsescience.com is an outstanding resource for the sciences. You get B1, C1 and P1 free but you have to pay for the rest; I would seriously recommend it though, it really helped me get A*s in all three sciences. I did mine last year so it should be pretty much up to date.

I actually asked David to ban me from the forum during the revision period so I could focus on my work properly. It was useful and ensured I didn't get distracted as much as I would have. 

Good luck mate and keep us updated on how you get on.

Cheers mate, this will help as science is definitely one of my weakest subjects

46 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

Cheers mate, this will help as science is definitely one of my weakest subjects

Turn to the far right Fraser. Science is downgraded and creationism (is it an ism?) takes its place. Piece of pish then, just remember how many loaves and fish were needed to feed the South Stand.

Seriously, Set yourself proper times to revise and stick to it. Just as importantly, set yourself social time and stick to that as well. 

If you don't enjoy yourself now at your age you never will....

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Turn to the far right Fraser. Science is downgraded and creationism (is it an ism?) takes its place. Piece of pish then, just remember how many loaves and fish were needed to feed the South Stand.

Seriously, Set yourself proper times to revise and stick to it. Just as importantly, set yourself social time and stick to that as well. 

If you don't enjoy yourself now at your age you never will....

Haha cheers mate 

My revision consisted of watching 2002 world cup, I thought if didn't know it through 2 years of learning I wasn't going to know through some revision so sat back and enjoyed the football.

This is terrible advice not sure how I came out with 5 B's and 4 C's.

Did my GCSEs in the 2010 World Cup....remember literally sprinting out of my German listening exam to watch South Africa vs Mexico.

What subjects are you doing @Fraser_23? There's a wealth of useful tools in terms of Maths and Science on line but some subjects you need to do a little more chasing.

The best advice that's already been given here is to ask your teachers. Providing they're not a d***, they will go out of their way to help you if you're asking for revision ideas in February.

19 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Did my GCSEs in the 2010 World Cup....remember literally sprinting out of my German listening exam to watch South Africa vs Mexico.

What subjects are you doing @Fraser_23? There's a wealth of useful tools in terms of Maths and Science on line but some subjects you need to do a little more chasing.

The best advice that's already been given here is to ask your teachers. Providing they're not a d***, they will go out of their way to help you if you're asking for revision ideas in February.

Im pretty certain on how I will revise, it is now just a case of finding different resources to help me find different persepectives on subjects. I am taking French, pe, history, geography, English, maths, science 

Do one or two old exam papers, kinda under test conditions ...will give you a good idea where you struggle. 

Its tempting to concentrate on what you're good at...so identify your weaknesses and then you will have nothing to fear.

Questions/topics get rehashed over the years so if you can do the bulk of questions over a few year period you will smash it.

5 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Do one or two old exam papers, kinda under test conditions ...will give you a good idea where you struggle. 

Its tempting to concentrate on what you're good at...so identify your weaknesses and then you will have nothing to fear.

Questions/topics get rehashed over the years so if you can do the bulk of questions over a few year period you will smash it.

Cheers mate

Archived