Mental Weakness.

TroyDyer

3 hours ago, Papahet said:

We also seem to struggle when going into the New Year period, from Jan/Feb our form dip's massively.

Look at our past 3 seasons fixtures and there's a pattern emerging 

13/14 - W5 D2 L2 and a FA cup game vs Chelsea

14/15 - W6 & 2 FA cup games D2 L2 and a FA cup game

15/16 - W2 & 1 FA cup game D3 L5 and 1 FA cup game

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the players are too used to the poor English weather and are not as fit? Would be hard to train in conditions like today with storm Doris. I'd suggest a warm weather training trip to Dubai like some premier league clubs have done as warm weather training enhances performances 

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

That's the thing, the old school mentality of getting behind a team and actually supporting them in tough times is long gone. It's easy to say well they earn all this money it should be a privilege etc etc. When you are in the job it normalises, the guys are only human. When they are doing the job the money becomes peripheral, it doesn't matter they are focused on that moment and we should should help inspire them if we can IMO. Blame Sky TV and the FA for the ridiculous state of financial affairs in football, all these players began playing because they loved the sport just like us.

Don't think it's an old school mentality mate.. I been watching DCFC since the 70s and fans moaned then. Mainly in pubs and the workplace but the same moans as we have now. Just a bigger platform now.

Fans have not changed, we are no different from any other club.. 

41 minutes ago, rynny said:

13/14 - W5 D2 L2 and a FA cup game vs Chelsea

14/15 - W6 & 2 FA cup games D2 L2 and a FA cup game

15/16 - W2 & 1 FA cup game D3 L5 and 1 FA cup game

"From" was the word I put for a reason though. 

13/14 - Look at the month of March; 8 points from a possible 21. 

14/15 - How many games did we win from March till May? Just in 12 :whistle: 

15/16 - We didn't win a league game from Dec 26 - Feb 20 :whistle::whistle:

16/17 - Another post January melt down. 

1 hour ago, TroyDyer said:

So what is the modern footballer paid copious amounts of money for? In our case, it isn't to win anything, so what's it for? 

The so called pressure of the modern footballer is nonsense in my view. They are so spoilt and nannied, that its ridiculous. Pressure is paying for your child's cancer treatment. Having a few blokes call you a **** if you mislay a pass is not real pressure. And if you can't take it, don't be a footballer and don't take the riches it provides. 

I've seen some pretty ridiculous sticks used to beat the players with but children having cancer is the winner by some considerable distance.

1 hour ago, Spenno said:

Do you think that the problem is that we simply don't try enough? I don't see that and don't get me wrong I'm not blaming everything on the fans I think it's a variety of factors I just don't think jumping on players who are having a bad game helps I think it puts the players on edge and makes them more likely to make errors or play within themselves 

In certain situations, yes. I do think we don't try enough. There have been various times this year, when (Ince aside) no one wanted the ball. That's not good enough. If you are one of 11 on the pitch, and you are too scared/lazy to want the ball, get off the pitch. 

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I've seen some pretty ridiculous sticks used to beat the players with but children having cancer is the winner by some considerable distance.

How was that a stick to beat anyone? You are choosing to be ofauxnded by something that wasn't offensive or ridiculous. That is REAL pressure. Playing football for 30k a week, isn't. 

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

McClaren was one of the first to champion a sports psychologist in Bill Beswick?.

Sadly though, when you put a golden saddle on a donkey, it doesn't become a thoroughbred, it remains a donkey. 

This thread will ultimately become a Keogh debate, and my opinion for a few years has been that he's awesome in some games, but when we NEED him to be awesome, and hopefully drag performances of those around him up, he's mentally incapable.

McClaren needs to bring some steely leadership in on the pitch.

Agree totally, we have had this same conversation more often than not during the last 3 home games. 

The players don't appear to either listen to or respond to RK when the chips are down. It's all to easy to motivate a winning side but a true leader of men will galvanise a team when their backs are to the wall and in turn his team mates will pay attention and play for him.  

Sadly I have noticed that RK is trying his damnedest to motivate the team, but they aren't paying a blind bit of notice to him. 

Plus IMHO he is a much better player when he doesn't have the skippers armband. 

In certain situations, yes. I do think we don't try enough. There have been various times this year, when (Ince aside) no one wanted the ball. That's not good enough. If you are one of 11 on the pitch, and you are too scared/lazy to want the ball, get off the pitch. 

It's the biggest misconception that fans have that football is all about effort and that to win all you need to do is try harder. I would strongly argue that confidence is the most important factor when it comes to a players performance. A happy confident player will work harder and produce better football your example of Ince is a prime example of this principle. Berating players, booing them and jeering misplaced passes etc will not improve their confidence and will not improve their performance. That said some of our players are simply not good enough and that is why we haven't/won't be promoted the idiots in the crowd don't help matters though

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

"From" was the word I put for a reason though. 

13/14 - Look at the month of March; 8 points from a possible 21. 

14/15 - How many games did we win from March till May? Just in 12 :whistle: 

15/16 - We didn't win a league game from Dec 26 - Feb 20 :whistle::whistle:

16/17 - Another post January melt down. 

So March covers this does it?

6 hours ago, Papahet said:

We also seem to struggle when going into the New Year period, from Jan/Feb our form dip's massively.

Look at our past 3 seasons fixtures and there's a pattern emerging 

I think we struggle from August onwards, check it out every year since our first season. Sometimes it is January, sometimes March, sometimes November, sometimes August to October. ?

3 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

No, but the pressure of a CEO is greater than the pressure of the tea lady. Risk and reward. The pressure upon the CEO is reflected in the wages. 

Would I take my job home with me and work evenings and Saturdays, hitting deadlines for minimum wage? Nope. Would I for 30k a week? Yup. 

Money has a baring. 

I'd argue the opposite. When a CEO gets fired he gets a huge pay-off, share options and mooches off to his country seat, comfortable for the rest of his life. Check the banking sector if you doubt this. When the tea lady gets fired, her and her kids go hungry.

That's real pressure my friend.

7 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I'd argue the opposite. When a CEO gets fired he gets a huge pay-off, share options and mooches off to his country seat, comfortable for the rest of his life. Check the banking sector if you doubt this. When the tea lady gets fired, her and her kids go hungry.

That's real pressure my friend.

So a footie player is hardly pressure then...

How was that a stick to beat anyone? You are choosing to be ofauxnded by something that wasn't offensive or ridiculous. That is REAL pressure. Playing football for 30k a week, isn't. 

I'm not offended in the slightest. Just think it's strange to be talking about children having cancer and football in the same sentence. 

There is absolutely no logic to link the 2.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

So March covers this does it?

I think we struggle from August onwards, check it out every year since our first season. Sometimes it is January, sometimes March, sometimes November, sometimes August to October. ?

March is a new calendar year isn't it? Jan-March we often have a dip in form.

The player's peak too early, never have they found form from now till May - that's the time to hit it. But they never manage it...

They shouldn't be weak mentally, but they are. Why? I have no idea. I wouldn't be letting Wembley 2014 play on my mind in 2017 but that's me. I wouldn't be pushed over by Millwall, Wigan, Barnsley and Rotherham but again, that's me. We have the squad, but the mentality within it is not right for whatever reason. Manager-merry go rounds hasn't helped it nor has throwing contracts around for fun if dare to show up for a game or two.

26 minutes ago, Papahet said:

March is a new calendar year isn't it? Jan-March we often have a dip in form.

The player's peak too early, never have they found form from now till May - that's the time to hit it. But they never manage it...

They shouldn't be weak mentally, but they are. Why? I have no idea. I wouldn't be letting Wembley 2014 play on my mind in 2017 but that's me. I wouldn't be pushed over by Millwall, Wigan, Barnsley and Rotherham but again, that's me. We have the squad, but the mentality within it is not right for whatever reason. Manager-merry go rounds hasn't helped it nor has throwing contracts around for fun if dare to show up for a game or two.

How many players were in the team on Tuesday that played at Wembley? What about the 2 games before that? Overall 4. Bryson, 30 mins against Bristol City, Russell, 25 mins against Cardiff then Hughes and Keogh. Can't see how Wembley will still affect the players when we have a different team. I think it affects the fans more than the players.

The expectation level grew after Wembley.

Any side who had these training facilitates, spent over 30 million and narrowly missed out of promotion is surely going to be labelled favorites season after season. The players simply can't deal with the hype surrounded by the media and especially the fans. 

Look at Norwich & Villa - those are two squads right there who should be fighting for the automatic places, along with ourselves. But they just don't have the right mentality within the squads to do so. Many good players in the sides, but means little if they aren't 100% focused on the task in hand. Just a name on the back of a shirt. Villa have spent a fortune and still are a million miles from getting out this league. The mentality isn't right, ditto with Derby.

No bs about playing a certain way for 46 games, just get the three points first and foremost and the rest will follow. We will forever be labelled "bottlers" until we achieve promotion

Archived