New assistant manager?

RoyMac5

6 hours ago, archied said:

For me what we need more than anything else is one push the boat out signing in terms of wages ,someone a bit older but a real experienced leader and talisman ,, I would say a midfielder possibly in the Thorne role , this needs to be a top player ,not over the hill but not quite a first pick anymore for a top prem or European team who can be persuaded to take the challenge of coming here and being our hero captain that gets us up ,,, get Mac and the scouts on it for next season ,, a Dave Mac,igor , taribo,type player 

I've thought this for ages. I'd have gone for Lampard and seeing Berbatov at the weekend I wondered about him too. We need a leader on the pitch, so far ahead of the others in terms of ability and experience that everyone looks up to them and tries to improve. Better to spend more on one player like this than four squad players who may or may not improve the team.

As for Powell, I loved him as a player and I've always been impressed by him as a manager in his own right and I've been delighted he's back at Derby. I have no reason to think he's not doing a good job or doesn't somehow work well with McClaren. For me we have a good management/coaching team and we need to stick with them to get the success we all crave.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, ramant62 said:

Never mind next season, I want them to do well this season. Believe me, it wouldn't make much difference who we had in charge or assisting, if you haven't got the players to do the job on the pitch, you wont achieve anything. I have said it once, and I will say it again, we had chances to sign players in the window, players that may have brought something different to the team, mixed it up a bit, but we didn't and now we are paying for it.

thats no strictly true first you are  saying your judgement is better than the manager  and scouting team?

Secondly how do you know that the new players would have made difference?I notice the one name you mention is Lansbury has one we missed he is  doing a great job for villa so far isnt he?

What is required is time time for Mac to build his own team and that isnt achieved in the January window .He and the team need our patience.

The way is see it he has saved us from relegation thats where we were heading under pearson SO BE GRATEFUL

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

As for Powell, I loved him as a player and I've always been impressed by him as a manager in his own right and I've been delighted he's back at Derby. I have no reason to think he's not doing a good job or doesn't somehow work well with McClaren.

I have no facts to the contrary either, just don't think it 'looks as good' as Mac and Simmo used to. It was just something else to ponder. I also wonder if Powelly gets a managers job offer whether he'll be off? Gonna be an interesting summer, I hope. :)

On 2/24/2017 at 07:36, Waffle said:

What's that Paul Clement doing now days? He's meant to be quite a good assistant

Interesting feature on Swansea on this weeks BBC Prem League show. In the extensive interview, Clement sounded genuinely disappointed that his time at Derby was cut short. Said he felt that he should have been given more time. I can see Clement doing well at Swansea and maybe one day getting the England manager job (not much competition). Maybe for DCFC it's a case of what might have been, if PC had  been allowed carried on that season?

Archived