New assistant manager?

RoyMac5

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

and unless you're in the know, maybe they wanted too much money? Maybe those players weren't interested in signing for DCFC? There's always players out there but that doesn't mean they're a fit or a deal could be done. I think we need to move a few players on first, and look at our youth before we bring in too many more faces personally. 

I agree, we do need to look at our youth, and we do need to move a few on, however time is moving on and nothing is changing. Irrespective of whether they may have wanted too much money or weren't interested to sign, these would have been chances, and that is my point. You make chances, you make things happen. 

I don't think it's a new assistant we need, it's a better scouting set up. Remember the days under George Burley when we signed the likes of Rasiak, Idiakez, Bisgaard and Tommy Smith on free transfers? Or when Nigel Clough signed the likes of Martin, Bryson, Barker, Brayford and Forsyth for small fees? Under our current regime, it's just well known players for big fees. I'd like us to go out and get some little known gems for small fees. If we have to spend a big fee on someone, it needs to be someone that will make a huge difference - like a commanding midfielder. This summer is going to be crucial for the future of the club, we need to get the signings right this time!

5 minutes ago, ramant62 said:

I agree, we do need to look at our youth, and we do need to move a few on, however time is moving on and nothing is changing. Irrespective of whether they may have wanted too much money or weren't interested to sign, these would have been chances, and that is my point. You make chances, you make things happen. 

But we've taken chances. We've made a lot of signings and our spending has been used to hang us by other (and our own) fans more than once. We can't just keep buying players, and expecting them to turn things round for the team instantly, that would do more harm than good.

Vydra's not had a full season with us, has had 2 different managers, and has largely become a new scapegoat for us. IMO we need to take a step back from buying, look at what we have, who can fit into how Mac wants to play from the first team squad and the U23s. We ideally need to move who doesn't fit on, and identify the right players for us. Whether our recruitment team is capable of that is the real question. 

For what it's worth, I think we need a few seasons for this to build to really challenge for promotion, we're a good team and compete up there, but Brighton for example, are the next step up. 

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

This isn't Mac's team, I think that is the first thing that needs addressing. What players actually fit here, remember the original playoff final side was the inherited side plus a few loans. Even the follow up season he didn't really change much.

I have to agree here. Mac has been unfortunate both times so far.

Inherited team the first time around with what appeared to be very little money available and only room for some good loan signings and he almost pulled it off.

He then moves/gets moved on and in between the 2 main managers bought in have money thrown at them and the players purchased are not fits are for Mac's style.

Let's not forget where we were when he took over, where we are now. A few on here need to manage their expectations.

I would imagine there will be movement on both the playing and managerial front during the summer.

Judge Mac and Co when they have completed a full season with his own team/players around him.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

There seems to be some fans convinced that Mac's 2nd coming will be a repeat (ie failure - in their eyes) of the first time.

I wonder whether he needs a different assistant manager, and/or coaching staff. I like Powelly but is he the 'right fit' for Macs weaknesses.

Just wondering. I really want Mac and Derby to do well next season. :)

It's an interesting point that you make. I am not really sure what actual role CP has at Derby? Assistant manager is quite a broad job description and could mean a number of different things.

1 hour ago, David said:

Can we get a list of McClaren, Powell and Phillip's strengths and weaknesses, I've not attended any training sessions this season yet myself not seen them in action 

Mac is one of the best coach's in the game, many ex and current pro's have acknowledged this.

As for Powell and Phillips  - no idea.

Mac is a perfect fit for us, he needs time to offload those that are not doing what is asked of them and bring in some that Mac actually wants here.

30 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

So Powell is today's scapegoat, at least it's a fresh one. Yeah sod it, sack him and the rest eh. Nothing to do with the players not being good enough/playing to their ability

Who coaches the players to be at the best of their ability?

For me what we need more than anything else is one push the boat out signing in terms of wages ,someone a bit older but a real experienced leader and talisman ,, I would say a midfielder possibly in the Thorne role , this needs to be a top player ,not over the hill but not quite a first pick anymore for a top prem or European team who can be persuaded to take the challenge of coming here and being our hero captain that gets us up ,,, get Mac and the scouts on it for next season ,, a Dave Mac,igor , taribo,type player 

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

There seems to be some fans convinced that Mac's 2nd coming will be a repeat (ie failure - in their eyes) of the first time.

I wonder whether he needs a different assistant manager, and/or coaching staff. I like Powelly but is he the 'right fit' for Macs weaknesses.

Just wondering. I really want Mac and Derby to do well next season. :)

Powell is doing fine for us and no we don't need new assistant manager. Next?

Archived