We need to stop giving names to windy weather

Day

Doris? seriously? The Americans do a lot of things that we shouldn't copy, this is high up on the list.

Need to go back to the "It's a bit windy out init" days, the way this country deals with a cm of snow is pathetic without starting this rubbish as well. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, David said:

Doris? seriously? The Americans do a lot of things that we shouldn't copy, this is high up on the list.

Need to go back to the "It's a bit windy out init" days, the way this country deals with a cm of snow is pathetic without starting this rubbish as well. 

agreed

one thing having names for hurricanes that take days and weeks to make landfall quite another for a temporary bit of a blow (I should be so lucky)

Names for this year's storms....just for David

A - Angus - November 19-20
B - Barbara - December 23-24
C - Conor - December 25-26
D - Doris
E - Ewan
F - Fleur
G - Gabriel
H - Holly
I - Ivor
J - Jacqui
K - Kamil
L - Louise
M - Malcolm
N - Natalie
O - Oisin
P - Penelope
R - Robert
S - Susan
T - Thomas
V - Valerie
W - Wilbert

Remember when it just used to be weather rather than news?

Eg temperatures could plummet to -10 tonight (up a hill in the middle of nowhere whereas it will be -1 in the town).

Send us your snow pics as we are desperate for any form of 'content'.

Britain basks in barmy temperatures. It's even hotter than these 'hot' places. Britain (England) is best. Unlucky Johnny Foreigner. We win again.

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Didn't the scientists name them just to amuse themselves, you know, instead of talking about Storm 827649, that type of thing.

hah the 827649, that was a storm and a half that one, do you remember 823573?

If we must insist on pointlessly anthropomorphising weather by naming storms we should at least give them insulting names. That way you could say, "I was late for my meeting because D*ckhead took out power cables on the east coast mainline" or "B*stard smashed up the patio furniture so I'll have to go to B&Q this weekend."

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Remember when it just used to be weather rather than news?

Eg temperatures could plummet to -10 tonight (up a hill in the middle of nowhere whereas it will be -1 in the town).

Send us your snow pics as we are desperate for any form of 'content'.

Britain basks in barmy temperatures. It's even hotter than these 'hot' places. Britain (England) is best. Unlucky Johnny Foreigner. We win again.

I wish I had seen that news headline "continent isolated by fog" .... Poor fellows :p

I have never known a Doris that is anything less than frightening. We were warned Doris was coming and although her earlier visit was postponed, she made up for it yesterday. 

But a storm Colin just wouldn't sound so fearsome. 

Archived