Aston Villa v Derby County

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Sorry to digress but seems a topical place to put it.....

Buried an old friend today. Paul Chatfield from Utch. "Chats" was a year older and a lot wiser when i started going away with Derby in the mid 70's.

One story that came to mind today was when he and I went to Villa away in the late 70's. Living in Utch, we decided to get a bus to Stafford and then a bus from Stafford to Villa. Chats had heard there was a direct bus link to the Villa ground from Stafford.

There was. It was the Villa supporters bus. We paid our couple of quid and slipped quietly on to the bus early doors. No problems as there was a couple of old dears at the front with flasks and tartan rugs and a few "normals" scattered about. We settled about 5 rows from the back and hunkered down with a four pack of McEwans Bitter and 10 No.6, as you did back then.

The bus started up and was about to move out when 20 or so drunken louts piled on, all loud and beery singing Villa songs and chucking tins of beer to each other all round the area where me and me mate were sat.

We was about half way there when they realised we weren't joining in. One asked where we were from. Chats knelt up on his seat, faced the back of the bus and replied we were Derby fans from Utch. The bus went completely silent while i battled to control my bowels until one bloke stood up and said "fair play lads". You could tell a few on there wanted to have a go at us but they left it at that. A couple of the Villa lads held the bus back after the game as we were the last to board and we ended up having a pint with them in Stafford before getting the bus to Utch.

Good man, top DCFC fan, taken too soon, RIP Chats.

What a great story hope we can get three pts for your old friend Paul. 

14 hours ago, reveldevil said:

This is the place for crazy formations it seems, here's my inverted 4-3-3.

Carson

Cyrus      Keogh       Shackell   Lowe 

Baird.  De Sart. 

Butterfield. 

Ince.                 Nugent.               Johnson

Width from the full backs, Baird making a back 3 in possession, De Sart supporting him when not, Butterfield given license to do what he wants past the halfway line, Ince and Johnson tucking in when attacking to allow the width of the pitch to be utilised by the full backs, playing off the clever movement of Skeletor up top.

Baird and De Sart have already shown a great range of forward passing, playing Baird central allows him to hit both flanks with his passing, rather than just Ince, and Johnson's in because I rather like him, and he's not Camara.

If Hughes is available, tell Jacob to run himself into the ground for 60 mins knowing Will will take the last half hour, and let them work together like that until the inevitable promotion party.

And what year will the "inevitable" promotion year be ? Poor Jacob has a lot of running to do

Just about to brave the traffic to work. Horrible today as I'm back to my old phone having erm misplaced my modern piece last week after waaaaay too many drinks, so it's 3G whatever that is. 

Good luck Rams and all those travelling down. Favourite away ground. If we're still gonna have a sniff then it's 3 pts please... despite my 1-3 prediction 

SSA :)

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Sorry to digress but seems a topical place to put it.....

Buried an old friend today. Paul Chatfield from Utch. "Chats" was a year older and a lot wiser when i started going away with Derby in the mid 70's.

One story that came to mind today was when he and I went to Villa away in the late 70's. Living in Utch, we decided to get a bus to Stafford and then a bus from Stafford to Villa. Chats had heard there was a direct bus link to the Villa ground from Stafford.

There was. It was the Villa supporters bus. We paid our couple of quid and slipped quietly on to the bus early doors. No problems as there was a couple of old dears at the front with flasks and tartan rugs and a few "normals" scattered about. We settled about 5 rows from the back and hunkered down with a four pack of McEwans Bitter and 10 No.6, as you did back then.

The bus started up and was about to move out when 20 or so drunken louts piled on, all loud and beery singing Villa songs and chucking tins of beer to each other all round the area where me and me mate were sat.

We was about half way there when they realised we weren't joining in. One asked where we were from. Chats knelt up on his seat, faced the back of the bus and replied we were Derby fans from Utch. The bus went completely silent while i battled to control my bowels until one bloke stood up and said "fair play lads". You could tell a few on there wanted to have a go at us but they left it at that. A couple of the Villa lads held the bus back after the game as we were the last to board and we ended up having a pint with them in Stafford before getting the bus to Utch.

Good man, top DCFC fan, taken too soon, RIP Chats.

Lovely story. RIP Chats...proper Rams Fan. You can never deny your allegiance no matter what it might cost you. 

At Villa Park today for first time since the top of the table premier league clash in 1998. Lee Carsley makes a crunching tackle which turned into a stunning through ball for Paul Merson to score the only goal of the game! We were unlucky to lose that day, battered them for long periods and Bosnich had a blinder, a couple of big saves from Wanchope particularly.

They were the days (in my lifetime anyway unlike the lucky buggers among you that saw us win league titles!!)

42 minutes ago, dcfc the 1 4me said:

Just sat in Tesco cafe in Aston, first person I see.... the ref Andy Madely! Must have had a stopover from last night

Oh no not him! Mind u there's so many bad refs in this league we seem to get one every game. 

Who will win this battle of the overpaid misfits? Who would have thought at the start of the season this game would be a battle for mid table mediocrity even before February is over. 

14 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Oh no not him! Mind u there's so many bad refs in this league we seem to get one every game. 

Who will win this battle of the overpaid misfits? Who would have thought at the start of the season this game would be a battle for mid table mediocrity even before February is over. 

At least it's not his brother

26 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

At Villa Park today for first time since the top of the table premier league clash in 1998. Lee Carsley makes a crunching tackle which turned into a stunning through ball for Paul Merson to score the only goal of the game! We were unlucky to lose that day, battered them for long periods and Bosnich had a blinder, a couple of big saves from Wanchope particularly.

They were the days (in my lifetime anyway unlike the lucky buggers among you that saw us win league titles!!)

1998....the year Derby were Premier League and a chap called Nigel Clough took over a Southern League Premier outfit down the A38. 

Archived