McClaren's target now

teddyb16

Went to the game last night, took the missus with me who is a lifelong Everton fan. She said she felt surprisingly comfortable watching as the atmosphere is so similar, albeit disaappointed to have no posts blocking her view. I asked her what she meant and she said "just like Everton fans, if they aren't playing like Barca and 2 nil up within 15 minutes then everyone just moans and winges". 

I don't go every week but have been to a fair few this season and the glaringly obvious factor is our midfielder creativity is nullified by playing Darren Bent upfront alone. I could count on one hand how many times he dropped deep to show for Hughes or Butterfield and when he does he has minimal ability on the ball. He can't link up play so our midfield have to go backwards or sideways. 

Without Thorne or an effective DCM the protection  has gone too so our full backs are us not pressing on either. Lloyd Dyer spent his whole evening shielding in front of Tom Ince so he was sandwiched and his supply was cut off. It wasn't till he came inside he started getting more ball or when Christie finally pressed on and Dyer had to pick him up.

I thought de Saart was okay. He has a decent passing range but is positionally naive. Chasing the ball like it's cub football. 

What is it with Hughes always coming out wide right too? Does he realise Ince is probably the only player at his level so they try and double team constantly? He is another struggling with that man 15 yards ahead of him who he can find in pockets of space. 

Nugent offered more in 10 minutes than Bent did all night and he is clearly an intelligent player. He has to start for me as I think he will bring more of our midfield in to the game. I would also have Johnson in as he offers us strength and bite. As soon as Bryson is fit he needs to play though.

so what is macs target? We still have 52 points to play for so to write off the play offs is daft but we need to be realistic. There is a lot of dead wood that needs chopping but we will struggle to shift some players on as they have under achieved greatly. 

Players to go: shackle,  keogh, olsson, bAird, Butterfield,  de saart, camara, bent, anya

give Pearce the captains armband, get rawson in alongside him. Christie and Forsythia full back. Max Lowe as back up

3 strikers of Martin,  nugent and Vydra is good for next season. All different styles

midfielders from: Thorne, Johnson,  Hughes,  bryson, Russell,  Ince, Elsnik. Plus a season long loan on the wing

Changing the manger is moronic but Mac needs to develop his team now. All he has really done is picked up on momentum or rallied the troops a bit. He seems to be leaning towards a 4 2 3 1 which would work now so he should go with it:

Carson

Christie,  anyone, Pearce,  Lowe

De saart, Johnson

Ince    Hughes    russell

Nugent

Prediction, we will be 8th again

There will be many posts like this in the coming months, that want us to elude to the future, dead wood and suggestions as to where we improve etc, truth is we all have our views but for me my first point of call would be recruitment ? Who is leading it ??  As despite the usual 'we only want players that improve the squad' statements the last dozen players(costing tens of millions) just haven't done that ! Managers havent either... The buck stops with Mel, he needs to stand back and have a good think...

So i expect a clearout, which may include the manager, and will watch with interest who comes in.

I hope recruitment improves

Shackell has no pace and can withstand an aerial bombardment but he can't distribute. Something quite key these days

Keogh has served his time. He is someone we can cash in on

Butterfield motm? Wow. He doesn't get forward, never breaks in to the box and gets deeper and deeper as a game goes on

camara our best impact player? So how did he 'impact' the game when he came on last night? He got a guy a yellow and then proceeded to dive every time he got near him. His crossing is non existent.  He is a bit like forest gump, you have to tell him when to stop running and he clearly frustrates other players wit his decision making. Left back has to stay at home too as he won't do the dirty work

bent will be on large wages and is ageing. He was out sprinted by the albion cb last night. With exception of the goals at wolves and west brom he is sniffing but we don't get enough balls across the 6 yard box or men round the back. Tell me this, why is our best 'poacher' peeling off to the back post on corners? Why isn't he stood on th gk?

League tables never lie. 

It's harsh to say it given that he's scoring a fair number of goals and seems to be working far harder (as in 'running about more') than he has in previous seasons, but I think Bent is the biggest problem the team currently has - his style of play just doesn't suit what Mac is trying to get the team to do. We spent a lot of the time around the edge of their box last night, but Bent was constantly waiting for a killer ball to him rather than joining in with play and bringing other players into the game - consequently, Burton knew that if they kept an eye on Bent and stopped Ince from getting a clear sight of goal, we would struggle to break them down.

Time for Mac to be brave and give Nugent a start - I'd even sacrifice the wide left man if we're playing attacking full-backs. and play Nugent and Vydra up top with Ince free to roam behind them - something has to change because if Burton had been the least bit adventurous, we'd have lost last night....

His target now for me, is to push for the playoffs next season. 

He's a good coach but not a miracle worker, he's inherited a squad which is built to play neither his favourite 4-3-3 or NP's 4-4-2. He needs the summer to recruit wisely and get back to the football and philosophies that started with his first tenure. 

When Brighton swapped mid season, Chris Hughton just about kept them up, he then got them up to the level they are now with time and support from the club. I hope Mac can have the same success with the same time, but he must be allowed to have it. 

The past few seasons have shown we can compete at the right end of the table, but it doesn't mean we have a right to be there - which is how some fans get on sometimes. 

13 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

It's harsh to say it given that he's scoring a fair number of goals and seems to be working far harder (as in 'running about more') than he has in previous seasons, but I think Bent is the biggest problem the team currently has - his style of play just doesn't suit what Mac is trying to get the team to do. We spent a lot of the time around the edge of their box last night, but Bent was constantly waiting for a killer ball to him rather than joining in with play and bringing other players into the game - consequently, Burton knew that if they kept an eye on Bent and stopped Ince from getting a clear sight of goal, we would struggle to break them down.

Time for Mac to be brave and give Nugent a start - I'd even sacrifice the wide left man if we're playing attacking full-backs. and play Nugent and Vydra up top with Ince free to roam behind them - something has to change because if Burton had been the least bit adventurous, we'd have lost last night....

I agree. Harsh to a degree on Bent but one up top should be Nuge or Martin. Watford fans rave about Vydra but state catagorically that he's basically only any good as part of a duo. Why we paid £8m for such a player and then either stick him on his own or out wide I don't know. Use the remainder of the season to see how he does up top with Nugent is my hope too.

1 hour ago, teddyb16 said:

Changing the manger is moronic but Mac needs to develop his team now. All he has really done is picked up on momentum or rallied the troops a bit. He seems to be leaning towards a 4 2 3 1 which would work now so he should go with it:

Carson

Christie,  anyone, Pearce,  Lowe

De saart, Johnson

Ince    Hughes    russell

Nugent

Prediction, we will be 8th again

geez. I know Christies defence abilities are questionable but to have Carson out of the sticks covering right behind Cyrus may be risky!

39 minutes ago, teddyb16 said:

Shackell has no pace and can withstand an aerial bombardment but he can't distribute. Something quite key these days

Butterfield motm? Wow. He doesn't get forward, never breaks in to the box and gets deeper and deeper as a game goes on

camara our best impact player? So how did he 'impact' the game when he came on last night? He got a guy a yellow and then proceeded to dive every time he got near him. His crossing is non existent.  He is a bit like forest gump, you have to tell him when to stop running and he clearly frustrates other players wit his decision making. Left back has to stay at home too as he won't do the dirty work

bent will be on large wages and is ageing. He was out sprinted by the albion cb last night. With exception of the goals at wolves and west brom he is sniffing but we don't get enough balls across the 6 yard box or men round the back. Tell me this, why is our best 'poacher' peeling off to the back post on corners? Why isn't he stood on th gk?

League tables never lie. 

How much are we getting for Keogh and with whom are we replacing him?

For me Keogh looked like one of very few who truly looked bothered last night, I would prefer that we keep him.

Your earlier idea of bringing Rawson in is just plain ridiculous, he isn't even getting a game at Coventry and their fans don't rate him.

Mac's in a tough spot right now. It's hard to build for next season when so many of your current squad either aren't good enough or don't fit the system.

Bent, Johnson, Butterfield, Shackell, Baird, Anya, Vydra, Camara and Blackman all don't have a future at our club as a regular starter for various reasons.

Means we're just plodding along right now with players who ideally won't be here much longer.

But Mac can't be as blunt as that. He'd kill morale. Its a tough spot to be in.

4 hours ago, teddyb16 said:

League tables never lie. 

Unless he's crossing from the byline I guess? One user here says he takes too many touches and tried to carry the ball in to the box too much, then you come along and say he plays too deep. DCFC fans love a good scapegoat, it's borderline ridiculous. Keogh and Butterfield must be the two most hated guys in Derby despite always trying their hardest for the club.

Just before NC got the  sack I stood up at the end of a disappointing home game turned to my mate and said I would like to see what a good manger could do with this team.Unfortunately I am starting to feel the same way again .

Having said that the senior management must take criticism for employing NP and a poor transfer window leaving the club without the players for the required new system, a job half done.Also  SM gets us in and around the playoff positions prior to the January window and we don't make the required transfers to consolidate  for whatever reason .

All in all poor planning / management leaving us with a big squad with a few gems and the rest average ,having said that I go back to my first paragraph could someone else make a better fist of it, Is there not enough talent  to find a system and improve ?

Plenty of criticism for NP and he did go about things in a strange way [Leicester fans told us he would ] but are we going to see SM having to do it and we are a year further down the road .

The question should be what's Mel's target now.

16 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Also  SM gets us in and around the playoff positions prior to the January window and we don't make the required transfers to consolidate  for whatever reason .

Seriously, with all the dead weight (some that couldn't be moved on this season anyway) we were carrying, what on earth were you expecting?