Opportunity

Waffle

Obviously for many the season for us has been written off. In terms of recovery I couldn't have asked for much more since Pearson was sacked.

I'd be more than happy for the rest of this season to be used as an opportunity for Mac and the coaching staff to assess how academy or 'second choice players' such as Shackell and Vydra could be used in a new system ready for next season. 

There's a handful of bright prospects in the under 23's and 18's such as Elsnik, Creswell and Jakobsen who deserve a chance like Clough gave against Peterborough for Will Hughes.

It doesn't always work (see Conor Doyle) but it's time Derby make good on the Derby Way prophecy.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree although I would start blooding a couple of the youngsters first and now, I wouldn't be too concerned about the over paid has beens on the bench. Elsnik plays a as a creative box to box midfielder I believe for the U23s, can he really do any worse in our midfield 3 than Butterfileld at the minute? Some of our players look crippled by fear when we get any where inside the opposition third, maybe we need some youthful exuberance to break free of the shackells.

7 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I agree although I would start blooding a couple of the youngsters first and now, I wouldn't be too concerned about the over paid has beens on the bench. Elsnik plays a as a creative box to box midfielder I believe for the U23s, can he really do any worse in our midfield 3 than Butterfileld at the minute? Some of our players look crippled by fear when we get any where inside the opposition third, maybe we need some youthful exuberance to break free of the shackells.

Completely agree. Especially about Elsnik 

1 minute ago, toddy said:

Are they really better than we already have in those positions?

If they are good enough, why not.

If I think about playing youth football when I was younger. If I was made to start sub for someone who was usually on the bench, it would drive me mad because all I wanted to do was play. It really depends how much our current squad are bothered about playing.

OK this is risky but are we seriously that much better off?

Position in the league: yes and that one big winning streak really did shoot us up the table but now 'the mac is back' buzz has gone the results have too.  Pearson is an Ostrich and I don't think he was the answer but he could of turned it around. He tried to change a failing a system and rebuild a new squad in an attempt to actually get us over the line for once and this takes time so I am all for changing things up.

With the Mac back and us hovering in mid-table I can't see how we are going to challenge at the top of the table. That zing first time around a few seasons ago isn't there and we look predictable again.

Like I have said before we have made our bed now and we need the stability so I wouldn't advice on chopping and changing again but I do wonder if going back really was the answer to go forward.

8 minutes ago, Waffle said:

If I think about playing youth football when I was younger. If I was made to start sub for someone who was usually on the bench, it would drive me mad because all I wanted to do was play. It really depends how much our current squad are bothered about playing.

There were issues with performances of the players under Pearson and we seem to be having the same issues now under Mac. - If you cannot be bothered show commitment on the pitch or do as I ask you to do then a change by Mac is surely a requirement.

If mac thinks some of those kids are capable then bring them in!

Sacking mac is not the answer, but giving players a kick up the back side is!

3 seasons now when we've effectively packed up in February - Mac losing interest and wanting to go to Newcastle; sacking Clement; and now this - perhaps rather than Mel offering us a discount on our season tickets if we get promoted, he could offer us a refund when we stop trying from February onwards.......

It's really confused me this season as to why Mac has had an aversion to putting Elsnik, arguably the most consistent performer in the under 23's this season, on the bench.

he played with real class and maturity during his cup run. He seem's more positive going forward than our current midfielders.

3 hours ago, toddy said:

Are they really better than we already have in those positions?

If they are good enough, why not.

Agreed but no reason why they can drop one or two in a match day squad. They get used to the whole first team match day regime.. You never know we might be 3 up in a game and then we can afford to take a risk here and there.

There has to be a pathway for them.. 

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Agreed but no reason why they can drop one or two in a match day squad. They get used to the whole first team match day regime.. You never know we might be 3 up in a game and then we can afford to take a risk here and there.

There has to be a pathway for them.. 

Totally agree. I know a few of the younger players do go along with the first team, even when they aren't in the squad, so they do get that match day regime experience.

The problem is we've got such a bloated squad we can't even get first teamers on the bench that cost us £8 mil. Seriously need to get rid of quite a few players and bring in 3-4 quality players in the areas we are deficient. 

First game of the season if everyone's fit the team should pick itself. Currently you could play Russell, Camara, Blackman, Vydra, weimann Anya and maybe some others at Left forward and nine stand out above the others. You could basically pick them out of a hat.

attacking centre mid and right back is the same.

imo the only nailed on positions with a fully fit squad in a 433 is

carson, Keogh, Thorne, Hughes, Martin, Ince.

8 hours ago, Waffle said:

Obviously for many the season for us has been written off. In terms of recovery I couldn't have asked for much more since Pearson was sacked.

I'd be more than happy for the rest of this season to be used as an opportunity for Mac and the coaching staff to assess how academy or 'second choice players' such as Shackell and Vydra could be used in a new system ready for next season. 

There's a handful of bright prospects in the under 23's and 18's such as Elsnik, Creswell and Jakobsen who deserve a chance like Clough gave against Peterborough for Will Hughes.

It doesn't always work (see Conor Doyle) but it's time Derby make good on the Derby Way prophecy.

What is the 'Derby Way' these days?

Archived