Does the new loan system work?

TuffLuff

It's as simple a question as that really

Personally for me, I'm not sure whether it has. I was a big fan of being able to freshen up with young prem players and thought the system helped them go out and get a couple of months experience. I know it wasn't a perfect system, but felt it had a lot of benefits for all involved.

I guess the new system is about trying to get clubs to look into their own academy for players, which in theory is a good idea, but this was also the idea behind the being in of transfer windows in the first place and   all thats not exactly worked.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never saw the whole point of the transfer window to be honest I thought it was put in place so big spending clubs couldn't just go out and buy a replacement when one of their players got injured to act as a level playing field - the issue I have with that is these same clubs can afford to have huge squads so any such injury would be better absorbed than a smaller club with a lesser budget.  

2 hours ago, Inglorius said:

I never saw the whole point of the transfer window to be honest I thought it was put in place so big spending clubs couldn't just go out and buy a replacement when one of their players got injured to act as a level playing field - the issue I have with that is these same clubs can afford to have huge squads so any such injury would be better absorbed than a smaller club with a lesser budget.  

Law of unintended consequences :ph34r:

Personally I would like a situation where loans are not allowed resulting in a situation where you only have players who are good enough to actually play allowing the so called talent to trickle down the leagues rather than being stockpiled at big clubs 

Like others have said, I don't think it's worked. Villa and Newcastle have signed players just for the sake of it on the off chance that might have an injury. Players on big wages, moving for decent sums of money and not even playing. 

On a side note, somebody above mentioned clubs solving problems from within academies. Has anybody else been slightly underwhelmed by our academy over recent years? Since the emergence of Hughes and Hendrick, we've only seen Hanson and Lowe, one of which we can hardly get on the pitch. I hate, actually hate saying this but I've been quite envious at the rate Forest have been churning out good quality players from their academy. Granted, fawaz has sold the majority of them but there seems to be a good steady flow. Brereton being the latest who seems like a very good young player. Is it because weve been under such pressure at the top end of the table and not been able to throw a young lad in or don't we have the talent in there? 

8 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Need to give it another two seasons for the full effect of it in my view.

I'm with you, but not sure is two seasons is enough. If the aim is to produce better British players, the visible effects of this change could take closer to decade.

11 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

On a side note, somebody above mentioned clubs solving problems from within academies. Has anybody else been slightly underwhelmed by our academy over recent years? Since the emergence of Hughes and Hendrick, we've only seen Hanson and Lowe, one of which we can hardly get on the pitch. I hate, actually hate saying this but I've been quite envious at the rate Forest have been churning out good quality players from their academy. Granted, fawaz has sold the majority of them but there seems to be a good steady flow. Brereton being the latest who seems like a very good young player. Is it because weve been under such pressure at the top end of the table and not been able to throw a young lad in or don't we have the talent in there? 

The lack of youth players in recently will be down to the youth players not quite up to the level needed for the top of the table. A main reason why we have just seen Rawson, Vernam, and Guy. Give them some pitch time to gain the necessary experience and to help them progress.

Archived