The best performance by a Derby team?

toddy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

In person

7-0 Southend in league cup 1993 (i think)

Sunderland 3-1 1995

Sheff Weds away 5-2 1997

Arsenal 3-0 1998

Preston 6-2 2004

Brighton 4-1 2013

Forest 5-0 2013

Arsenal 3-0 was in 1997 I think 

Off the top of my head, best performances... (not necessarily the best games if you know what I mean):

Shef Utd away 1-0, 1986 and 1987 (performances that shouted 'we are back'.  All in front of 10k away fans each time. These away games were when I first started to realise the passion of the SuperRams. Rotherham 86 confirmed it forever).

Lincoln 7-0, 1985 (might only have been 1-0 at HT. and their keeper actually played well. Should've been 10)

Rotherham 2-1, 1986 (not a great 90 mins but to overcome the nerves in such dramatic fashion, then this game is right up there. And not a fan from any other club knows what 'cool as custard' mean's!)

Plymouth 4-2, 1987 (second half, once the fans told the players to relax cos Portsmouth were losing)

Arsenal 2-1, 1988 (Phil Gee... screamer)

Man City 6-0, 1990 ish (so good they had to write 6 (six) on the videprinter. I wonder what happened to Man City)

Shed Wed 3-3, 1993 (the closest to cup success in my days watching the Rams)

Notts 3-0, 2005 (Rasiak and Tommy - pure class)

Brighton 4-1, 2015 (sheer class)

To narrow it down to 1... hmm difficult. For 90 mins of pure class I suppose the recent play off semi v Brighton. Played like a Rolls Royce. And to think before the game I was sat in the Brunny quite nervous. By the time Hughes had back heel flicked us into the lead it was a formality. If they'd played the final straight after on the same day we'd have steamrollered QPR into the ground and probably won the league the next season. Probably.

in my lifetime, I wish I'd gone to Old Trafford in 1997.

not in my lifetime, wish I could go to the cup final, Chelsea 68, Liverpool 72, Benfica 72, Real 75, Notts 79 and 83

1 hour ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

I can't think of a match I've enjoyed less, I was in bits throughout.

Really? I guess I thought of it as the proverbial 'free hit', didn't think we'd get there and then didn't think we'd win it (hoped we would, of course). I enjoyed the day out...maybe I assumed we go up autos next season and so wasn't bothered? #nohindsight

For me, it has to be the 4-0 thrashing of Southampton in the 97/98 season.

Admittedly we opened the scoring with a dubious penalty, but the quality of the goals and the link up play between Eranio, Wanchope and Baiano that day was quite simply football from another planet. 

Steve McClaren's smile for Lee Carsley's fourth represented the pinnacle of our football at that time. And on a personal note I was really chuffed for Carsley because my first memory of him was gifting Luton Town's Dwight Marshal an equalizing goal back at the BBG in the promotion season, which was my first ever game watching The Rams. Always great to see a player prove you wrong. 

There are many others, but that's the pick of the bunch. 

One for the olduns.. Man Utd Watney Cup final.. I was so excited then about what the future would hold.

Many memorable performances around those years, too many to mention. Newcaslte in the FA Cup Quarter Final.

One that I always go back to was beating Palace to get promotion with Robbie and Jim. 

Were they good performances?? Time has taken its toll but in my head, we were unstoppable. 

Surprised how many people have said the Forest 5-0!

Wonderful day but we were only playing at about 75%! 

The Blackpool 5-1 was brilliant. One down at half time and yet you knew from how badly we slaughtered them in the first half that it was only a matter of time before the floodgates opened. 

Then there's the Brighton game.

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

Surprised how many people have said the Forest 5-0!

Wonderful day but we were only playing at about 75%! 

The Blackpool 5-1 was brilliant. One down at half time and yet you knew from how badly we slaughtered them in the first half that it was only a matter of time before the floodgates opened. 

Then there's the Brighton game.

That is what made even sweeter, knowing that we weren't at our very best and still smashed them 5-0

All mine are taken and when I think back to them I have been so lucky to see some of those games. I didn't see the Benfica match (I don't think) so the 4-1 vs Real Madrid for me (though my dad said their one would cost us), but honorable mentions to:

Rams 4 Gumps 1

Rams 5 Arsenal 0

Rams 2 Palace 1

I also have a softspot for 3-2 home wins so 88/89 against Everton (& that Goddard chip), against Arsenal in 79 when we were really struggling and 0-2 down, but the 8-2 against Spurs was good too (and it was 3-2 at half-time).

It has got to be Derby 3-1 Chelsea - League Cup 1968. A magic night and the noise was deafening that night.

Other memorable games beating Liverpool 4-0 in 1969/1970

Beating Spurs in 1970 - 5-0

In fact between 1967 and 1977 there were so many great games.

I remember beating Darlington 5-4 at home in a cup game. I think that was either 1966 or 1967.

Archived