My Lads op.

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Brilliant news. Great end to a terrible week... back home and get 3 points in the bag..every little helps.

Can I ask why when he is obviously so closer monitored and been seen recently has the abscess been able to go unchecked? Is it just fast paced, or did they know something was wrong but hoped it would go away etc?

I bet you are all experts on his condition as you bounce from one expert to another! 

Your child getting sick is your worse fear, and as always your bravery puts me to shame. Have a great weekend. What a rollercoaster for you, nice quiet few days in order for you.

Thanks for your kind words mate.

They were also very reluctant to operate on his right side again as he is 100% deaf on his left and this is not repairable, So they have been trying to preserve what little hearing he has on the right as any surgery/problems on that side could leave him profoundly deaf.

50 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If only Van Gogh had known about your surgeon! #COYR

It does look like a new fashion - interchangeable ears, just pop one off and slip a new style one on. Joel could be on to a big moneyspinner with this, if he plays it right. 

10 hours ago, GboroRam said:

It does look like a new fashion - interchangeable ears, just pop one off and slip a new style one on. Joel could be on to a big moneyspinner with this, if he plays it right. 

Mum and dad Cone could buy a pair of Gary Rowett sticky out ones as a wind up or for when Joel has been out of line  ?

only joking Cones and not trying to trivialise what’s been a difficult week - but it’s great to see that it looks as though things are mending well.

On 05/11/2018 at 07:36, HantsRam said:

Mum and dad Cone could buy a pair of Gary Rowett sticky out ones as a wind up or for when Joel has been out of line  ?

only joking Cones and not trying to trivialise what’s been a difficult week - but it’s great to see that it looks as though things are mending well.

Lol

You have to laugh and joke about things to stop yourself and the rest of them getting down mate. Last week before his op the swelling on the right side of his head and face was huge, his face was distorted and his ear was an inch n half lower than the other. Still didn't stop me shouting "HEY YOU GUYS!" every opportunity I got as he looked like Sloth out of the Goonies!!?

He takes it well, he's still got a great sense of humour and attitude xx

On 04/11/2018 at 12:56, i-Ram said:

Any surgeon worth his salt would have insisted on that bum fluff being removed pre-op.  Delighted that another battle has been won, and let’s hope much better times now lie ahead for the Cones.

I’ve told him I’ll get him one if he’s going to use it.

D8Max3c.jpg

6 hours ago, Mrs Cone said:

Lol

You have to laugh and joke about things to stop yourself and the rest of them getting down mate. Last week before his op the swelling on the right side of his head and face was huge, his face was distorted and his ear was an inch n half lower than the other. Still didn't stop me shouting "HEY YOU GUYS!" every opportunity I got as he looked like Sloth out of the Goonies!!?

He takes it well, he's still got a great sense of humour and attitude xx

Brilliant! Made me proper laugh out loud and now the city commuters are scrambling to get as far away from me as possible.

keep the updates coming - really uplifting.

love, Hants x

• 2 weeks later...

We went back in Tuesday as planned,Prof Ray is happy enough with how Joel is looking.

We will know more in 2 weeks when they unpack his ear.

Prof Ray’s words were nearly a disaster.

Anyway,they are sending Joel to immunology for some tests as they think something else might be going on.

That’s it really,I’m really worried about him at the minute,just doesn’t seem right to me,he wouldn’t speculate on the immunology referral.

Joel is not good in himself and moaning constantly about not being allowed to come to a match,unfortunately I can’t stretch to corporate every week.

@Paul71 have you any experience/advice on immunology?

16 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Its a blood test that specifically looks at the immune system of Joel's.  It is a very large, diverse and important branch of medicine.  This link is detailed, and if you are prone to self diagosing. probably best avoided.

https://www.immunology.org/public-information/what-is-immunology

I know it wasn’t good because Prof Ray wouldn’t look at me but we have to take it as positive that they’re trying to do something.

Cheers for the link.

4 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

We went back in Tuesday as planned,Prof Ray is happy enough with how Joel is looking.

We will know more in 2 weeks when they unpack his ear.

Prof Ray’s words were nearly a disaster.

Anyway,they are sending Joel to immunology for some tests as they think something else might be going on.

That’s it really,I’m really worried about him at the minute,just doesn’t seem right to me,he wouldn’t speculate on the immunology referral.

Joel is not good in himself and moaning constantly about not being allowed to come to a match,unfortunately I can’t stretch to corporate every week.

@Paul71 have you any experience/advice on immunology?

Its hard to say. I would expect Joel gets blood tests all the time (i think?).  If he does maybe something has suggested a compromised immune system but then i wouldn't expect anything different with everything he has to contend with.

I know some about blood counts etc so post them if you know them. The good thing is the experts are looking after him. My advice for helping with immune system?  The recommended dose of vitamin c daily is 50 mg. You can and should take a lot more, ascorbic acid (powdered vit c) take several thousand mg a day in batches.

I lost motivation to do it in my old job and suffering more with my mental health issues,  since i started my new job i take several thousands a day and haven't had a day off work in over 6 month's.  Be careful build it up though as can give you runs.

Hope all goes OK

11 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Its hard to say. I would expect Joel gets blood tests all the time (i think?).  If he does maybe something has suggested a compromised immune system but then i wouldn't expect anything different with everything he has to contend with.

I know some about blood counts etc so post them if you know them. The good thing is the experts are looking after him. My advice for helping with immune system?  The recommended dose of vitamin c daily is 50 mg. You can and should take a lot more, ascorbic acid (powdered vit c) take several thousand mg a day in batches.

I lost motivation to do it in my old job and suffering more with my mental health issues,  since i started my new job i take several thousands a day and haven't had a day off work in over 6 month's.  Be careful build it up though as can give you runs.

Hope all goes OK

Tested all the time,cheers for the advice.

The runs wouldn’t be good for Joel...I don’t think he’d make it.

Google doesn’t come up with any pleasant suggestions for ear disease/infections and immune defects.

3 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Tested all the time,cheers for the advice.

The runs wouldn’t be good for Joel...I don’t think he’d make it.

Google doesn’t come up with any pleasant suggestions for ear disease/infections and immune defects.

Yeah the runs isn't good as i found out to my own cost. Would also say speak to your consultant before doing anything which i know you would anyway. 

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

I think we all have to find what suits us. What works for one won't for another.

In the research i did i found similar that if you are healthy there is no point in taking high dose, but that there can be (but unproven)  a benefit for cancer sufferers etc.

I know it works for me. It also helps my platelet count which can be low sometimes. Taking high dose definitely works in maintaining a decent level for me.  Its also a great antioxidant which helps with my liver as i often have elevated counts.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I think we all have to find what suits us. What works for one won't for another.

In the research i did i found similar that if you are healthy there is no point in taking high dose, but that there can be (but unproven)  a benefit for cancer sufferers etc.

I know it works for me. It also helps my platelet count which can be low sometimes. Taking high dose definitely works in maintaining a decent level for me.  Its also a great antioxidant which helps with my liver as i often have elevated counts.

I’m going to try him on something equivalent to Berrocca but he’s had that before,see how we go.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived