My Lads op.

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

We're back in Sheffield but have gone straight in the pub(sorry).

It's fairly in depth, so I will try and explain what they are saying later,but for now,we need a couple of pints.

Don't blame you for going to the pub. 

Been preparing for this appointment in earnest for a couple weeks,I like to do it with military precision,just my way of dealing with it,and it helps Joel if he's anxious.

5.30 kick off from home,Maccy's at Markeaton Island for 6.15 for breakfast(not for me it's ?).

Steady journey down the A38 hospital for 8.30,a brew at Costa(how much!).Appointment at 9.30,just us,so on time we hoped.

In fact we were in at 9.15,but no Mr Irving which was not a good start,but in fact this was a result as we spoke with 2 doctors who we knew,who had been involved in both of Joel's major ops in Birmingham.

So we were we able to get great detail on both ops,what had happened,what they had done and why,unfortunately no answers on why this is like it is.

They are not 100% happy with how it looks but they are not overly concerned either.

Joel will go to the Hallamshire next week and have a Diffusion Weighted Image MRI scan which will take a more detailed look at his brain,then they will decide what to do.

Joel and myself feel a little bit happier because we also set a plan in place for emergencies so we feel now that we now have and the doctors in Birmingham and Sheffield now have a way to deal with an emergency.An emergency being any discharge from Joel's left ear or scarring.

The main risks at this stage are a hernia on the brain or meningitis due to removal of skull and bone.

I'll not go into anymore detail as there was a lot of talk of drilling and surgical speak,any way I'll let you know the MRI results.

The one most important thing we the doctors said was that they didn't believe another operation was an option.

Mr Irving mentioned grafting part of Joel's thigh around the area if things went wrong,they told me this is unlikely due to the amount of work already done.

Sorry to witter on.

p.s he's hoping to be fit enough for the pre season games,he's happy George Thorne beat him to it.

Sith Happens

Very indepth as you said, it does sound like you have some good people on the case.

Hope next week provides you some answers you need.

4 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

He's more worried about his hair falling out.It's slowly going on the left side and with all the other scars he's(understandably)upset.

He needs some of that caffeine shampoo! #joke :) I'm late to this thread and your lads woes, but what exactly is 'wrong' with him, if you don't mind me asking?

12 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Been preparing for this appointment in earnest for a couple weeks,I like to do it with military precision,just my way of dealing with it,and it helps Joel if he's anxious.

5.30 kick off from home,Maccy's at Markeaton Island for 6.15 for breakfast(not for me it's ?).

Steady journey down the A38 hospital for 8.30,a brew at Costa(how much!).Appointment at 9.30,just us,so on time we hoped.

In fact we were in at 9.15,but no Mr Irving which was not a good start,but in fact this was a result as we spoke with 2 doctors who we knew,who had been involved in both of Joel's major ops in Birmingham.

So we were we able to get great detail on both ops,what had happened,what they had done and why,unfortunately no answers on why this is like it is.

They are not 100% happy with how it looks but they are not overly concerned either.

Joel will go to the Hallamshire next week and have a Diffusion Weighted Image MRI scan which will take a more detailed look at his brain,then they will decide what to do.

Joel and myself feel a little bit happier because we also set a plan in place for emergencies so we feel now that we now have and the doctors in Birmingham and Sheffield now have a way to deal with an emergency.An emergency being any discharge from Joel's left ear or scarring.

The main risks at this stage are a hernia on the brain or meningitis due to removal of skull and bone.

I'll not go into anymore detail as there was a lot of talk of drilling and surgical speak,any way I'll let you know the MRI results.

The one most important thing we the doctors said was that they didn't believe another operation was an option.

Mr Irving mentioned grafting part of Joel's thigh around the area if things went wrong,they told me this is unlikely due to the amount of work already done.

Sorry to witter on.

p.s he's hoping to be fit enough for the pre season games,he's happy George Thorne beat him to it.

You didn't witter on ...you didnt say enough.

So is it - he's ok for now. Let's investigate what we do next? 

Is the absence of the surgery option a positive or a negative?

What are the timescales. 

The detail about the hair...makes it very real for me. If I were a kid that's what would be worrying me too..the chance to just be 'normal/average' one day. 

Pub would be the first place I'd go too...maybe to plan something mental though. A marathon to raise funds...or something you have to do you wouldnt want to like a mountain climb...a bungy..parachute jump.. Something to focus on maybe and show we all have fears ....set up a thread on that!

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

He needs some of that caffeine shampoo! #joke :) I'm late to this thread and your lads woes, but what exactly is 'wrong' with him, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't think caffeine shampoo is going to do it mate.But it made him laugh..and me.

And I don't mind talking about it at all,it might be easier if you go back in the thread.

There is a pic on here I put on after his last surgery in June but I can't bring myself to look at it.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I don't think caffeine shampoo is going to do it mate.But it made him laugh..and me.

:D

I did look back through some of the thread and saw some pics, but I'm a bit squeamish - heavens knows how your lad deals with it!

Anyway I hope that things soonbecome brighter for him and you. :) 

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

What are the timescales. 

The detail about the hair...makes it very real for me. If I were a kid that's what would be worrying me too..the chance to just be 'normal/average' one day. 

Pub would be the first place I'd go too...maybe to plan something mental though. A marathon to raise funds...or something you have to do you wouldnt want to like a mountain climb...a bungy..parachute jump.. Something to focus on maybe and show we all have fears ....set up a thread on that!

Chester,I just did you a right long profound reply and deleted it by mistake:blink:.

Cheers for all the support,I'll come back to you in a short while.

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

:D

I did look back through some of the thread and saw some pics, but I'm a bit squeamish - heavens knows how your lad deals with it!

Anyway I hope that things soonbecome brighter for him and you. :) 

Yeah,I am really sorry about the pic and even more sorry I put it on twitter.

The pic went on twitter because Joel wanted to show the people who'd supported him that he'd gone through with it,and having spoke about Joel a lot on here I wanted everyone who'd supported us on here to see just so you knew what I was going on about.

When I first saw him post op I was in the relatives wing trying to sleep and my Mrs sent me a message to say he was out and a picture.

It was a horrible moment and I set off running across the site towards the recovery room only to find Joel looking like he did and still with Tom Ince's boots at the bottom of his bed,he was ok though.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

What are the timescales. 

Neutral on the surgery,bad if we have no option but Joel says he won't have anymore,and that op is  not appealing on many levels.

Timescales are just guesses by the doctors 2-5 years 3 years ago but things have changed since then,his consultant in Sheffield classes it as a time bomb.

The real issue is his first ear op was when he was when he was 4,he was diagnosed with Cholesteatoma at 12 and it had obviously been there all the time and had done massive damage in terms of destroying his Skull,temporal bone and everything in both his ear canals.

I've done fundraising every year since 2011,half marathons and concerts with the band I played in,we had it planned again this year and DCFC through Michael Johnson and this forum were going to be involved.

Hasn't worked out,I needed(need)to focus on the hospital stuff so hung up the guitar and just haven't had the time or energy to organise anything,I will at some point.

I didn't delete it:)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone going to Doncaster Tuesday?

Joel's desperate to go and I've got him a ticket,not really sure he's up to it.Do him good mentally.

Sat N39 Row N,if anyone see's a big bald man carrying a teenager out gives us a hand please,it won't be beer.I can carry him and my 15 year old will help.

He only wants to stand with the Derby fans,won't go anywhere else.

23 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Joel's desperate to go and I've got him a ticket,not really sure he's up to it.Do him good mentally.

Sat N39 Row N,if anyone see's a big bald man carrying a teenager out gives us a hand please,it won't be beer.I can carry him and my 15 year old will help.

Looks like he's going to beat George after all!

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

That's  good news Joel wants to go to Doncaster. It will do you all the good to go to the game. Hope joel lasts the 90 minutes .

Archived