"Cheap" holiday sites

mrdave85

I've been looking for a cheeky week in the sun for me and the missus. I'm remiss to book through sites like icelolly.com or onthebeach.co.uk though.

No one I work with has ever booked through them, has anyone had any experience or knows of any such sites that are any good? 

Thanks in advance

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

I've been looking for a cheeky week in the sun for me and the missus. I'm remiss to book through sites like icelolly.com or onthebeach.co.uk though.

No one I work with has ever booked through them, has anyone had any experience or knows of any such sites that are any good? 

Thanks in advance

i have used broadway travel before, they are a similar sort of site and were ok.

I think aslong as you have abta or atol backing they are ok. Both of those are well known sites.

I do usually find these sites are usually only cheaper if booking a hotel and flight separate though.

The main operators booked online do seem as cheap as anyone when i look.

I think the word you used was 'cheap'... Having used both,  Broadway Travel is 'middling' compared to Onthebeach.

My mate told me not to use Onthebeach after a problem with a group booking.

We wanted a really cheap week so risked it. It was great. Used it twice more and have had no problems...think issue is if there are problems they can be hard to reach. Website is really easy to use too.

Im always in favour of booking the hotel direct and a flight only, the amount of money holiday companies pass on to the hotels is really poor, the hotel then hopes to make money from drinks/food etc. Often is quite a bit cheaper too, it does of course carry more risk but if you are insured it should be ok.

You do of course not have the services of a rep but in my experience they are little more than glorified excursion sales operatives and are ok when everything is ok but can vanish quicker than lord lucan on shergar if there are any problems.

On the Beach act as an agent providing a web search interface between you and various third party suppliers of travel products (e.g. flight, hotel or transfer).  As do Icelolly.  Stay well away.

You won't get a good deal and it can be a grey area as to where ATOL and ABTA protection begins and end.

You will get a better deal and less hastle looking at last minute deals with the main players, Thompson, TC, Jet2 etc.  Or in person, Thomas Cook and Thompson shop staff have some latitude in giving out discounts, so someties the old fashioned face to face barter can be better, worked for me got an extra £40 quid off an online price for a w/e in Munich.

For 30 mins work online you can easily find something that ticks most boxes.

1 hour ago, LesterRam said:

be careful of using cheap holiday sites, remember lowcostholidays.com going under whilst moving from the ATOL scheme, its a hotbed for fraud and unscrupulous wide boys.

make sure the ATOL is current and pay with a credit card.

Good advise right here.. ^^^^^

4 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Do not use Onthebeach They have awful customer service and I have been on 3 holidays with them and had at least 1 problem with my booking each time. 

Had you pegged as a Hayes & Jarvis man, Kuoni or Mark Warner at worst?

We got a last minute booking at a Thomas Cook shop for a week in Beni and it cost about £200 more than if we'd booked the flight only ourself. Ours included the hotel too and transfers.

so there are deals to be had in the shops like someone posted earlier.

50 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Don't always take the websites link to trip advisor at face value either, booked a Thomson holiday recently and they'd put the reviews for a different hotel (from hell) on the webpage!

Plus, why is it you can read 5 pages of 5 star reviews and then see one bad review, and then you're all "hmm, I knew it was too good to be true"

15 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Plus, why is it you can read 5 pages of 5 star reviews and then see one bad review, and then you're all "hmm, I knew it was too good to be true"

I do take bad reviews with a pinch of salt if they are mostly good.

Its often down to the customer not understanding the product they were purchasing and then trying to pick holes in everything to make the hotel look bad.

I think to get a good understanding you have to read quite a few reviews and take a general overall view.

Archived