Jump to content

3/5 at the back?


Posh Ram
 Share

Recommended Posts

It's worked this season for Chelsea and Spurs. In my eyes, Derby have three competent centre-halves, several players who'd be well-suited to playing as "wing-backs", good central midfielders and a lack of quality out wide other than Tom Ince. Playing with a back three would really suit our strengths as a team and it's flexible enough to quite easily switch to our traditional 4-3-3 if the game situation requires it.

Team something like:

Carson
Anya/Keogh/Pearce/Shackell/Olsson
Bryson/De Sart/Hughes
Ince/Bent

Bench: Mitchell, Christie, Baird, Johnson, Butterfield, Vydra, Nugent

In a game we need to win, we can throw on Vydra or Nugent for Bryson; when we're trying to keep it tight we could instruct Ince to drop back into attacking midfield and swap Bryson for Johnson.

My main concerns would be that neither Shackell nor Pearce are very quick, Olsson might not be good enough for so much responsibility in both attacking and defending and there could end up being quite a big gap in between midfield and attack unless Hughes pushes further forward. Overall, though, our lack of direction this season definitely gives Mac an opportunity to experiment and this formation would get more of our good players in the side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds good on the face of it and I would perhaps play ince in he whole (baiano role) or as Chelsea do with two defensive midfielders and 2 attacking midfielders in the middle with the wing backs providing the width.

There are issues with this as a lot of the time with this system it requires the three centre backs to start out attackin moves, when Mac was here as coach we had Stimac as a ball playing sweeper along side intelegent good footballers at the back like Jacob Laursen and Christian Daily I would have no problems with Keogh as sweeper but shackle and Pearce starting off passing moves !? Not for me ! It is also a system that requires the two who play i midfield to cover a lot of ground and protection (we don't have a magic or Kante ) or even a Carsley ! 

A system with wing backs requires intelegent footballers who all know there position and role in the team but have decipline to carry out their role to a tee which I think is why Mac is hesitating to try it for example when you have intelegent players as Stimac , Laursen, C Powell , eranio , Baiano they understand and can play the system now imagine Christie , Johnson, butter field and Pearce running around like headless chickens and being pulled out of position 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

It's the same formation we played when Steve was first team coach to TBE. Get Eranio back first ?

I said this to my mate a few weeks ago ,SM played this under TBE and now seems reluctant to move away from 433.Problem for me is SM is a coach [a very good coach] but needs someone above him a bit tougher/flexible /motivational etc 

Now he's been a number one he isn't likely to want to work under someone else, but he should.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Westmidsram said:

A system with wing backs requires intelegent footballers who all know there position and role in the team but have decipline to carry out their role to a tee which I think is why Mac is hesitating to try it for example when you have intelegent players as Stimac , Laursen, C Powell , eranio , Baiano they understand and can play the system now imagine Christie , Johnson, butter field and Pearce running around like headless chickens and being pulled out of position 

Lol!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think what the OP is not seeing is that Chelsea and Spurs are currently in Top 3 of the Premiership and have the sufficient players to play this system..... 

I concede I'm a great believer in adapt and evolve...... but I can't see many of our current crop at the back being able to do this currently.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been saying for 2 seasons now, we have fast full backs and 3 decent centre backs...3 at the back would work.

We need to get away from a holding midfielder (who unless is George Thorne tends to fall too deep anyway)...

2ofChristie/Anya/Lowe/Forsyth/Olsson as full backs

Johnson and Hughes centre mid with Ince sat behind Nugent and Bent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the promotion season under Jim Smith when Maclaren was the assistant we were going nowhere playing the 442 but then changed and  went to playing wing backs with Igor as the controller and then Van der Laan and Powell with if i remember right it was Ron Willams behind a front two and went on a great run to promotion.

I think we should try this system again using George Thorne as the controller next season, Lowe and Anya as the wing backs with three in midfield and two up front. It doesent look like 433 will ever be succesfull for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

In the promotion season under Jim Smith when Maclaren was the assistant we were going nowhere playing the 442 but then changed and  went to playing wing backs with Igor as the controller and then Van der Laan and Powell with if i remember right it was Ron Willams behind a front two and went on a great run to promotion.

I think we should try this system again using George Thorne as the controller next season, Lowe and Anya as the wing backs with three in midfield and two up front. It doesent look like 433 will ever be succesfull for us.

Ron Willems behind Gabbiadini and Sturridge, epic trio.

I wouldn't mind Dean Yates in defence as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

It's worked this season for Chelsea and Spurs. In my eyes, Derby have three competent centre-halves, several players who'd be well-suited to playing as "wing-backs", good central midfielders and a lack of quality out wide other than Tom Ince. Playing with a back three would really suit our strengths as a team and it's flexible enough to quite easily switch to our traditional 4-3-3 if the game situation requires it.

Team something like:

Carson
Anya/Keogh/Pearce/Shackell/Olsson
Bryson/De Sart/Hughes
Ince/Bent

Bench: Mitchell, Christie, Baird, Johnson, Butterfield, Vydra, Nugent

In a game we need to win, we can throw on Vydra or Nugent for Bryson; when we're trying to keep it tight we could instruct Ince to drop back into attacking midfield and swap Bryson for Johnson.

My main concerns would be that neither Shackell nor Pearce are very quick, Olsson might not be good enough for so much responsibility in both attacking and defending and there could end up being quite a big gap in between midfield and attack unless Hughes pushes further forward. Overall, though, our lack of direction this season definitely gives Mac an opportunity to experiment and this formation would get more of our good players in the side.

Good stuff but you're flogging a dead horse PR. We are stuck with a low press 4-3-3 come hell or high water. That's what mcclaren does: He sticks the pegs in the holes he knows. He's a coach. Next game Pearce will be sacrificed for Shackell. That much we know. Plus he said he knew what the problem is: and "hard work in training" is the answer ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Good stuff but you're flogging a dead horse PR. We are stuck with a low press 4-3-3 come hell or high water. That's what mcclaren does: He sticks the pegs in the holes he knows. He's a coach. Next game Pearce will be sacrificed for Shackell. That much we know. Plus he said he knew what the problem is: and "hard work in training" is the answer ...

And if he put round pegs in square holes you'd be the first on here moaning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Good stuff but you're flogging a dead horse PR. We are stuck with a low press 4-3-3 come hell or high water. That's what mcclaren does: He sticks the pegs in the holes he knows. He's a coach. Next game Pearce will be sacrificed for Shackell. That much we know. Plus he said he knew what the problem is: and "hard work in training" is the answer ...

Stuck with?! Were you saying that when we went from the relegation places up to sixth?

More luck with injuries and a CF who suits our system ( obviously Chris Martin) will see us pushing for promotion again.

The growing disillusionment with SM baffles me after the dross served up by 4-5-1 Nigel :blink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

Stuck with?! Were you saying that when we went from the relegation places up to sixth?

More luck with injuries and a CF who suits our system ( obviously Chris Martin) will see us pushing for promotion again.

The growing disillusionment with SM baffles me after the dross served up by 4-5-1 Nigel :blink:

It's kind of like saying that you should love  the Skoda that we got back because we had a Dacia in between. Not buying into it sorry. We need a Tesla Porsche or Audi - something that gives us a foundation for a much better performance. 

Mcclaren is unraveling before our eyes just look at his desperate post game remarks and his latest DET quotes. 

There are the Mac lovers and there are those who were always skeptical about him coming back - I've always been in the latter group and find him to be an easy to figure out one trick pony with a losing mindset. If he can turn it around that's fantastic and we should give him this season but not next. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.