Alcohol, Age, Weight

David

I'm a big guy, not talking down there that's just average but 6ft 5" so I can pull large figures off on the scales without people realising how heavy I weigh.

Second time in my life after years of being incapable of putting weight on I hit that magic 19st number.....I actually hit 19 10lb few years ago which I only realised after a NYE party seeing people I've not seen in ages calling me "chunky"

Never been obsessed over my weight, the six pack, biceps, triceps or what I like to call personality substitutes have never bothered me so I didn't realise the numbers were that high. I went from M to XXL in 5 years so you would think that would have been a clue. 

Took around a year to get down to just under 16 stone. Thought that was pretty good although I went down the starvation route, snack a jacks loaded with tuna and salad was all I ate most days with the occasional bag of crisps. Looking back now that wasn't good or sustainable.

Anyhow, December 2nd last year the scales hit 19st 1lb, having not weighed myself since June 20th where I was 18st 3lb, bought a set of those Withings wifi scales, didn't like what they said and never weighed again so I'm not sure if that was the heaviest I've been or a good day.

I cut the alcohol, no gym, no exercise, no snapchats, would go out on a Thursday have a load with the missus followed by a take away, next day eat **** to recover from the hangover. Saturday out with the mates followed by a Taco Bell or KFC, Sunday eat ****. Mon-Wed I would eat fairly well, nowhere near enough to put that kinda weight on.

This morning I've weighed at 16st 13lb. Just over 2 months of cutting that ***** out my life. I'll still eat a bit of *****, had chips and cheese last night. Combine it with alcohol and being 30+ clings to your sides holding on for dear life.

Will I drink again? Of course, just have to have it in moderation. I like my Coors, problem is you can easily down 10 pints and still get it up for the missus, once I've hit my goal and will allow myself a pint I need to go down the less and stronger route. Spirits taste like aftershave and put me on my arse after a couple so that's a no go.

NHS BMI charts say 14st 10lb is the very top end for being in the normal range for my age, height and inactivity.

Load of ******. The picture attached is me at 16st 4lb in April 2014 after splitting up with the ex.....wearing a small t shirt. Yes you can see slight love handles, I have got jeans with a belt on but you have to leave a little for them to hold on to, I'm no super model.

16st 6lb was my initial goal by the end of this month for my birthday, get back into that t shirt, not sure I'll make it but the new goal is 15st 6lb now by the end of March before drinking again. 

Looking forward to a pint has to be said. New personal rule, no alcohol if you're over 16st after I hit the goal. Allowed myself a little bouncing room.

True what they say when you hit 30. Enjoy yourself whilst you're young, don't think you can continue it whilst you're older unless you intend to put real work in at the gym to keep it off. That doesn't fit into my daily Netflix and chill lifestyle.

IMG_1464.PNG

IMG_1465.PNG

IMG_2530.JPG

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

I'm a big guy, not talking down there that's just average but 6ft 4" so I can pull large figures off on the scales without people realising how heavy I weigh.

Second time in my life after years of being incapable of putting weight on I hit that magic 19st number.....I actually hit 19 10lb few years ago which I only realised after a NYE party seeing people I've not seen in ages calling me "chunky"

Never been obsessed over my weight, the six pack, biceps, triceps or what I like to call personality substitutes have never bothered me so I didn't realise the numbers were that high. I went from M to XXL in 5 years so you would think that would have been a clue. 

Took around a year to get down to just under 16 stone. Thought that was pretty good although I went down the starvation route, snack a jacks loaded with tuna and salad was all I ate most days with the occasional bag of crisps. Looking back now that wasn't good or sustainable.

Anyhow, December 2nd last year the scales hit 19st 1lb, having not weighed myself since June 20th where I was 18st 3lb, bought a set of those Withings wifi scales, didn't like what they said and never weighed again so I'm not sure if that was the heaviest I've been or a good day.

I cut the alcohol, no gym, no exercise, no snapchats, would go out on a Thursday have a load with the missus followed by a take away, next day eat **** to recover from the hangover. Saturday out with the mates followed by a Taco Bell or KFC, Sunday eat ****. Mon-Wed I would eat fairly well, nowhere near enough to put that kinda weight on.

This morning I've weighed at 16st 13lb. Just over 2 months of cutting that ***** out my life. I'll still eat a bit of *****, had chips and cheese last night. Combine it with alcohol and being 30+ clings to your sides holding on for dear life.

Will I drink again? Of course, just have to have it in moderation. I like my Coors, problem is you can easily down 10 pints and still get it up for the missus, once I've hit my goal and will allow myself a pint I need to go down the less and stronger route. Spirits taste like aftershave and put me on my arse after a couple so that's a no go.

NHS BMI charts say 14st 10lb is the very top end for being in the normal range for my age, height and inactivity.

Load of ******. The picture attached is me at 16st 4lb in April 2014 after splitting up with the ex.....wearing a small t shirt. Yes you can see slight love handles, I have got jeans with a belt on but you have to leave a little for them to hold on to, I'm no super model.

16st 6lb was my initial goal by the end of this month for my birthday, get back into that t shirt, not sure I'll make it but the new goal is 15st 6lb now by the end of March before drinking again. 

Looking forward to a pint has to be said. New personal rule, no alcohol if you're over 16st after I hit the goal. Allowed myself a little bouncing room.

True what they say when you hit 30. Enjoy yourself whilst you're young, don't think you can continue it whilst you're older unless you intend to put real work in at the gym to keep it off. That doesn't fit into my daily Netflix and chill lifestyle.

IMG_1464.PNG

IMG_1465.PNG

IMG_2530.JPG

That is some weight reduction, well done you.

I don't have the motivation to lose weight and tend to comfort eat, hence why I tip the scales at 16 Stone @ 5' 10"

I'm 57, and have the same waist size, and weight, as I had at 23.

Mind you, that's not been constant! 76kgs then and now, but was at 90 kg a couple of years ago. I think everyone has different methods. For me, it was sugar. I don't drink. Stopped about twenty years ago. When I stopped, I certainly didn't lose weight. 

3 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I'm 57, and have the same waist size, and weight, as I had at 23.

Mind you, that's not been constant! 76kgs then and now, but was at 90 kg a couple of years ago. I think everyone has different methods. For me, it was sugar. I don't drink. Stopped about twenty years ago. When I stopped, I certainly didn't lose weight. 

Yeah I crave sugar, I love jelly babies or wine gums/ midget gems and it cannot be healthy going to bed on a sugar rush, Its the devils food.

6'4"! Don't know why, I had you down at about 5'6". Even with your photo in your profile, it's strange how you automatically picture someone just through reading their comments. Congratulations on being able to control your eating habits. I'm nearly 54, about 6'1" and stopped weighing myself ages ago. I've gone through spells of eating "well" and my wife gets angry with me sometimes because of what or how much I've eaten, but whilst I've got a beer belly (I haven't drunk in a couple of years now but because I get migraines (sometimes after one beer, not only when I've had about 6 pints)) I am at the stage where I think "f it. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. At least I'm going to eat what I fancy!" Probably in the near future I'll try to look after myself better but at this moment in time I'll give it a miss, but without abusing or putting my health at risk.

Everything in moderation is the key, there's no way I'm going through life not enjoying food and drink. Not like we come back again for another crack at this. Just need to cut back a little when you get older.

When I get older (if I make it) I want a bit of fat on me, get hit with the flu and not eating for days, want some fat reserves for the body to burn off. 

1 hour ago, David said:

When I get older (if I make it) I want a bit of fat on me, get hit with the flu and not eating for days, want some fat reserves for the body to burn off. 

Daveo uses me as his role model you know.

what him deny it.

BMI isn't particularly accurate. Everyone in the England Rugby Union is obese according to that, even the wingers. There is a pincer test which is much more accurate.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off you have to exercise as well, especially if you haven't got a manual job.    

21 minutes ago, sage said:

BMI isn't particularly accurate. Everyone in the England Rugby Union is obese according to that, even the wingers. There is a pincer test which is much more accurate.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off you have to exercise as well, especially if you haven't got a manual job.    

Exactly, and it also give some people a get out as they insist they are just 'big boned'..

I reckon it's different for everyone. I've always been a skinny shorty and still have 30" waist that I had 20 years ago but for me it's the sugar. Not the spoon in your tea but if someone has bought chocolates I can't just have one, it's half the box. . Then you start to get that  paunch around the middle. Not much in my case. Lay off the sweeties for a week and it goes back to normal but it is weird after a life time of drink and eat what you want with no effect you find yourself like everyone else. :unsure: I a, probably haLf a stone more than I ought to be but lucky that it isn't a big deal. 

BUT I am pretty damn sure that whatever is in processed food, dough, sweeteners trans fats,  it is changing us. I am staggered by the number of people you see in their 20's with bodies that are distorted by fat in weird places and large quantities. I get it after a lifetime, we all thicken round the middle to one degree or another  .. But one day there was. Young skinny teenager playing football that weighed 8 stone wet .. Then 5 years later you see these huge chunky young blokes. I don't think it's all about an excess of beer. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

This is the pincer test Sage was alluding too I think?

IMG_1901.JPG

Not Last

1 hour ago, sage said:

Last bit not true sage although it helps. I know someone who has a sedentary job and never exercised once. Did slimming world, now just eats sensibly and lost 3 stones and kept it off for years.

Archived