Left Wing

David

Left Wing  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Anon said:

Normally I'd say Russell. After Newcastle I would've said Camara. After Leicester and today I say Anya.

Sums up my thoughts.

Whoever has a good game keeps the shirt, if they lose form a couple of games, rotate to whoever comes on and makes an impact or is showing the most appetite in training.

13 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Another idea (call me crazy) is to play left-footed Ince on the left. The current penchant for forward players on the wrong side is weird. Why not play Christie at left back and Lowe at right back too?

Playing wingers that way opens up the goal for their favored shooting foot and induces them to cut inside, but fullbacks need to be able to tackle with their better foot and cross from the line.

To answer the original question, i think it's time to give Anya a go

27 minutes ago, ramit said:

Playing wingers that way opens up the goal for their favored shooting foot and induces them to cut inside, but fullbacks need to be able to tackle with their better foot and cross from the line.

Yes, but playing them on the correct side gives them the opportunity to take the fullback on and get to the byline for crosses and cutbacks while also leaving more space to come inside on the strong foot should they choose. Playing them wide on their wrong foot means they will always cut inside so it's the easiest thing in the world to defend against.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Yes, but playing them on the correct side gives them the opportunity to take the fullback on and get to the byline for crosses and cutbacks while also leaving more space to come inside on the strong foot should they choose. Playing them wide on their wrong foot means they will always cut inside so it's the easiest thing in the world to defend against.

Yep, you are correct about the bye line but I think mac expects the full backs to get there and cross it, that said only Forsyth seemed to do this, Ollson is less likely to go that far and Christie completely confuses the issue and Baird knows he just can't do it.

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

i actually agree with you, switching wingers never worked for me in FM :)

Anya.

Defensively better than Russell, attacking wise better final ball than Camara. 

Actually, our best choice by far for me if we are to play him there, but I did like him at right back today supporting Ince, their left back had a nightmare as both players he was facing were taking him on and getting the ball across. 

7 hours ago, ramit said:

To answer the original question, i think it's time to give Anya a go

Alan hinton once explained the benefit of getting to the line.

when the cross comes in the centre forward is facing goal.

Cutting inside if the cross comes in, he's got his back to goal. 

(2 goals yesterday from getting to the line)

Cutting inside to shoot is somewhat predictable - esp after the first 15 attempts.

At present I'd go for Anya, he started well when first signing but seemed to have an off day on McClaren's first match which meant he dropped back down the pecking order, though has come back well in recent games (when not injured). Unfortunately he does seem a bit injury prone, so I'd have Russell as standby in such circumstances. He just hasnt looked the Russell of old though this season, has hardly taken on or beaten his markers as far as I can recall which is not what I remember from him in the past. I think he would most probably have scored with the chance Camara had yesterday and does most to help out his full backs. I dont think I'd start Camara unless it was an emergency, he often looks all at sea unless he comes on late against tiring full backs and has more space to use his pace, I dont think his control or decision making is good enough in tight areas.

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Imagine how good Inces goal scoring record would be if he is easy to defend against playing on the right...

Archived