why do you love dcfc and what would make you not love them?

kyle mccabe

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Yeah. 

In 1994 or 95 we beat Tranmere 5-0 at home and I had never experienced anything like it. When my uncle offered to take me again I just couldn't wait. And it was like that for ages. Even when we lost I just loved going to football. I got a Derby shirt and pretended to be a Rams player in the garden. 

But somewhere between then and now it's changed. Now I don't feel real entertainment at any match. Quite a lot of anger and frustration at TV coverage of matches. At Derby games I find them stressful. When we're doing well I find the fans quite arrogant and when we lose I find people even more arrogant. We haven't competed for anything for decades. 

Tomorrow for example.

I'll finish work at 6am. I'll sleep fine for a few hours. In 1995 I couldn't sleep I was so excited. 

I'll get dressed and moan about being tired. In 1995 I'd be dressed by 7am.

I'll stroll up to the ground talking about work/family/holidays. Feeling slightly annoyed at people walking too slow in front and too fast behind. In 1995 I had an adrenaline rush walking through that beautiful shithole with an army of like minded people. 

I'll walk up the steps with my head down. In 1995 I got excited at the sight of the sky as I walked up the steps. 

It's just that sort of robotic way I think a lot of people follow Derby? Initially it's very exciting. Now it's rare games you look forward to. That must be what keeps you going.

Week to week I think following Derby is quite annoying? Probably get more frustration than fun over the years. 

Life would be happier supporting Man United, finding another sport like boxing where you aren't tied to the success and failure of one team/athlete/fighter. Or just be off doing stuff you enjoy 100% and causes no pain. 

Yet here we all are. And if Bristol smash us 5-0 then we'll dwell on it and come back on Tuesday night. Not because we enjoy it but because... if I knew that then i'd know why I love Derby. I do love Derby but no idea why.

Take a season off. Play golf on Saturdays. Then come back refreshed with renewed excitement!

Probably should have done that this season in retrospect.

The last thing i remember as a normal human being was walking up some steps in ricketty building made out red bricks, timber and corrugated cladding, then emerging into the light like something out of close encounters.  

There was some grass,  alot of concrete, and some strange metal barriers. 

I don't even know what i was doing there. Why was i there in this strange area of the city full of terraced houses?

We walked to the front as if compelled to do so.

There was a big roar and then suddenly some men running around in black shorts and immaculate white shirts.

There was a man in a green shirt who looked like Captain Scarlet and stood closest to us.  

There was another man wearing a number 6 who looked like a lorry driver but who had this incredible presence and charisma.

someone wore a shirt with a number 10 on his back and - even amongst these heroic figures - he seemed even more special - extra special. 

there was a little tough guy wearing a number 8 who never stopped running. A blonde wavy haired man who squinted and stared at the dead ball as if about to hit a golf shot. He could threaten to burst the back of the net with the power in his shot.

This team was totally captivating. All 11 were god like. Every team that played them seemed to get torn to shreds.

What happened? 

Even now i go back because i want to rediscover that team. Anything that has even a distant echo of them draws me back. 

I'm not from Derby. None of my family support Derby. I started following as a kid whilst fiddling with my radio and listening to Graham Richards. Good reception in Staffordshire.

I take my dad to games now and again and he is pretty much a Ram. My wife claims to be more indifferent now, but she was mad for it when we beat Baggies at Wembley. Though she doesn't still seem hurt by what happened vs qpr like myself.

I live 2 hours from Pride Park now and my two 6 year old boys aren't what you can call football crazy. They played a bit last year, but weren't that into it.

However, we went to their first game this season and they absolutely loved it. It was Pearson's last match when we lost 2-1 to Blackburn. They sang 'Steve Bloomer's Watching' all the way there and back. They celebrated like crazy when we scored vs Leicester in the home match (watching on tv).

They can reply to this post when they are older. I hope they say they love Derby still and don't blame their Dad for the inevitable years of heartache!

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The last thing i remember as a normal human being was walking up some steps in ricketty building made out red bricks, timber and corrugated cladding, then emerging into the light like something out of close encounters.  

I don't even know what i was doing there. Why was i there in this strange area of the city full of terraced houses?

There was a big roar and then suddenly some men running around in black shorts and immaculate white shirts.

There was a man in a green shirt who looked like Captain Scarlet and stood closest to us.  

There was another man wearing a number 6 who looked like a lorry driver but who had this incredible presence and charisma.

someone wore a shirt with a number 10 on his back and - even amongst these heroic figures - he seemed even more special - extra special. 

there was a little tough guy wearing a number 8 who never stopped running. A blonde wavy haired man who squinted and stared at the dead ball as if about to hit a golf shot. He could threaten to burst the back of the net with the power in his shot.

This team was totally captivating. All 11 were god like. Every team that played them seemed to get torn to shreds.

What happened? 

Even now i go back because i want to rediscover that team. Anything that has even a distant echo of them draws me back. 

Nice intro to your memoirs.

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

What happened? 

You piss taking ******* RamNut lmao

It's in my blood, first match was in 1979, against Everton as a 7 year old, my Grandad, then took me to every game antill I was 17 years old, then I went on my own, now go with my lad who is 15 years old, been going since he was 6, go with my brother and his daughter, a couple of mates with there kids, and I love it now as much as I did on that August day in 1979, I will be going antill I am 6 foot under, Once a ram always a ram.

2 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I love derby because when i was a kid my older brother told me i had to or he'd beat the crap out of me. I wouldn't mind but fast forward 30 years and he allows his own son to support barcelona. Barcelona! And he uses 'we' and 'us' when he talks about barcelona - he's like "we've got the best front 3 in the word with messi, neymar & suarez"! We!!!?? YOU'RE FROM ALFRETON YOU DOUCHE!

FFS.

What was the question again?

The question was....

Is your brother named Turnip?:lol:

From the first time that i saw them play
on black and white telly back in the day
i've loved them dearly from far away
specifically Reykjavík town by the bay

When asked if i'd leave the answer is nay
and without hesitation this i will say
nothing will make this Ram ever stray
Derby's stuck with me come what may

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Yeah. 

In 1994 or 95 we beat Tranmere 5-0 at home and I had never experienced anything like it. When my uncle offered to take me again I just couldn't wait. And it was like that for ages. Even when we lost I just loved going to football. I got a Derby shirt and pretended to be a Rams player in the garden. 

But somewhere between then and now it's changed. Now I don't feel real entertainment at any match. Quite a lot of anger and frustration at TV coverage of matches. At Derby games I find them stressful. When we're doing well I find the fans quite arrogant and when we lose I find people even more arrogant. We haven't competed for anything for decades. 

Tomorrow for example.

I'll finish work at 6am. I'll sleep fine for a few hours. In 1995 I couldn't sleep I was so excited. 

I'll get dressed and moan about being tired. In 1995 I'd be dressed by 7am.

I'll stroll up to the ground talking about work/family/holidays. Feeling slightly annoyed at people walking too slow in front and too fast behind. In 1995 I had an adrenaline rush walking through that beautiful shithole with an army of like minded people. 

I'll walk up the steps with my head down. In 1995 I got excited at the sight of the sky as I walked up the steps. 

It's just that sort of robotic way I think a lot of people follow Derby? Initially it's very exciting. Now it's rare games you look forward to. That must be what keeps you going.

Week to week I think following Derby is quite annoying? Probably get more frustration than fun over the years. 

Life would be happier supporting Man United, finding another sport like boxing where you aren't tied to the success and failure of one team/athlete/fighter. Or just be off doing stuff you enjoy 100% and causes no pain. 

Yet here we all are. And if Bristol smash us 5-0 then we'll dwell on it and come back on Tuesday night. Not because we enjoy it but because... if I knew that then i'd know why I love Derby. I do love Derby but no idea why.

A lot of that resonates with me. I'm not from Derby but grew up football daft in my home city and supported my local team. Eventually I broke the habit due to boredom and only paid for games that had a social element attached. 

I moved to Derby and got caught up in the Mclaren promotion push, so bought a season ticket and kept it on. I love being part of a 1 club 1 city vibe. 

Is it an age thing? I feel all the frustration you mention above. I looked at the teenage fans on Wednesday and cringed when I heard the rubbish coming out of their mouths. 

I'll still go because I want to be at the game that ends up 6-5, and I'll still book trips home and trips to international games because there is a brilliant social element involved. 

This might sound strange, but I reckon I might give it up if Derby become a mid table non entity in the Premier League ala Stoke / WBA. I love the championship and the uncertainty every game brings. I guess I want football to be on a relatively level playing field. 

Question 1) "For those involved, no explanation is necessary, for those who aren't, no explanation is possible".

Question 2) There's things we do now that make me dislike them, but in terms of dealbreakers - relocation outside of Derbyshire, change of name, not necessarily a change of colours but a radical or concerted effort from within the club to change our identity. Selling the ground name is borderline.

My first game was the draw against Man City, Saunders scored a nice goal and I loved it, I was about 8..it took me until I was 12 when I actually moved away from Derby for a year, to really fall in love with the Rams. I missed Derby and following the club made me feel a part of home....I was so excited being able to watch Derby play Millwall on the TV, Ron Willems scoring.

Nothing could ever stop me from loving the Rams, apart from death of course 

A DCFC Fans member since 2011, a fan since 1969  but  a season ticket holder only since 2014 I've never before felt I could add anything to the erudite thoughts of those with greater knowledge and longer history than me but this question strikes a chord

I love DCFC because they are my local team, because we're sometimes nearly good enough but hardly ever the best, because we are founding members of the Football League and  just because  whether we are in the Premiership or the Northern Premier League DCFC are my team

Players come and go - great or otherwise - but passing on the commitment to your children extends the love for our city and our team forever and long may that continue

Other than that basically I agree with David

Archived