The Importance of supportive fans home and away.

Ellafella

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Happy clappers and wrist slashers are opposite ends of the same circle. Derbys history suggests we are average most of the time.. I just enjoy the good times when they come but I have no expectation of us being great week in week out. I didn't say I didn't enjoy it.. I would not travel the length and breadth of this great country if I did not enjoy it.

Equally I don't stick my head in the sand and blank out the bleedin obvious.

Go on gissa like :ph34r:

OK, I did!

6 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Mac has made it his business quite a few times this season to comment on the Rams fans and how much they have helped the team. He said this after Leeds at home and also at WBA in the cup. Some topics on this Board have asserted the need to be positive at all times even when things are not going well so that players are encouraged. It's common sense really. Some players sometimes need extra help to get through losses of form and confidence issues. More recently, some fans have started to criticise other fans for making players scapegoats. The consensus seems to be that Derby fans are no worse at scapegoating than other sets of fans. 

Indeed, it is common sense but there is also a well established body of research in sports psychology that supports the common sense view. In fact, the effect of the "mere presence" of other people having an ameliorative effect on sports performance goes back to 1897 with the first experiments showing the positive impact on cyclists' time trials. https://tinyurl.com/hrc58vj

The research explains the "home" advantage saying that large, participative, interactive supporters will improve players' performance levels for the home team and may also inhibit the away team from performing. It's not straightforward though...if players perceive that their performance will be negatively evaluated, this can actually inhibit the home side. To quote the research "

"It is generally understood that a supportive and friendly crowd will help the home team. What is the effect,however, of a seemingly hostile crowd on player performance? Research by Greer (1983) demonstrated that sustained hostile spectator protests have a clearly negative impact on the visiting team".

So, the larger, the louder, the more dense the (Derby) crowd, being positively supportive, the better. There is no positive effect of booing or targeting individuals. Common sense really. 

Seem to rememebr having a spat with a certain poster on here (crap jeans) who maintained steadfastly that positive interaction from the fans is not proven to improve performances on the pitch. Load of ******** was my typically erudite response and I maintain that stance now. Does anyone seriously think that going into work and getting screamed at and abused is going to enhance output and performance? If so, a spot of head wobbling might be in order.

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Seem to rememebr having a spat with a certain poster on here (crap jeans) who maintained steadfastly that positive interaction from the fans is not proven to improve performances on the pitch. Load of ******** was my typically erudite response and I maintain that stance now. Does anyone seriously think that going into work and getting screamed at and abused is going to enhance output and performance? If so, a spot of head wobbling might be in order.

I suspect that a certain erstwhile Derby County Manager also subscribed to the less than encouraging approach to player motivation. Allegedly. :mellow:

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

Can I assume you are referring to Sargent Major F***face?

Sir, I believe the manager in question was from the wrong end of the A52 and has been known to respond "My contribution to the achievement of the current Premier League champions has been greatly exaggerated..." and is pictured below: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtrCzI018xX6auLU3NL-p

Steve Mac never fails to acknowledge the value of the supporters' contribution to the team's performance.

He has also instilled into the players the need to applaud the fans at the end of a match.

If I were a player (joke!?) and was substituted for any reason I know that my morale would get a massive boost if I heard the crowd applauding.

Only an idiot could genuinely believe that the fan base has a significant rôle to play in the end result of a game.

For better or worse!

31 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Sir, I believe the manager in question was from the wrong end of the A52 and has been known to respond "My contribution to the achievement of the current Premier League champions has been greatly exaggerated..." and is pictured below: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtrCzI018xX6auLU3NL-p

Appreciate the clarification, good sir :D

57 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Mel Morris regularly bangs on about the importance of creating a positive atmosphere and spends considerable amounts on helping this with the scarves, flags, 1884 support and moving the away fans. The scarves have seemingly gone to waste despite how nice they are. The flags definitely seem to work though. 

People don't really want to wear scarves. We have dozens of Derby scarves and only seem to hang them from car windows etc.  Nice thought but it didn't really work; Nick Blackman. 

Archived