Is there a scapegoat, blame culture with our fans?

KBB

If so do you think it impacts on the players?

Do you think the management notice it?

If there isn't, do you think we make to much of individual players seemingly being singled out after poor performances and all fans do it?

How do you think players like Butterfield can get the fans back on side?

My opinion? I'm prepared for flack here, but i believe an element of our support do look for players to blame and to single out for constant criticism. We can all list players who have been on the end of it. Butterfield, Keogh, Ince, Christie, Baird, Blackman, Russell, Vydra, Johnson, imo, have all been singled out over the course of the last few months

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said on other threads when discussing "our" club, it's players and supporters, I really don't think we're, any different to any other club.

From time to time there are players that seem to be singled out by a number of supporters but, unless it becomes wholesale booing, jeering or cheering when they get substituted I don't really think it affect the players unless they view forums like this and forget the most vocal are often the minority. 

I think an element of our fanbase are a bit too quick to apportion blame and a bit too slow to realise that their first opinions were quite possibly wrong, hence a player becomes a scapegoat after one bad performance but doesn't actually get back to the dizzy heights of 'all right, I suppose' until they have had a dozen good ones. Case in point, Baird. The converse also applies. A decent performance on debut will offset the next dozen questionable ones.

A bit like football fans the world over, really.

Keogh has his own thread dedicated to his 'always having a mistake in him' even though we consistently have one of the best defences in the championship, that says it all.

Some folk watch the Premier league and forget to lower their expectations when watching Derby IMO, how Russell can be classed as deadwood is beyond me.

It does seem to be vocal minority. They can't seem to give certain players a break once in while, or are too stubborn to admit they are wrong or admit that form changes. It's always an extreme - "He's world class" or "He's absolute garbage". Where's the middle ground?

Also, some people are just nuts. On Facebook the other day I saw someone use the "angry" reaction to a DCFC post wishing Bent a Happy Birthday. Some people are just looking to be miserable.

Real Madrid fans booing Ronaldo really shows that it isn't just us.

Butterfield could do with at least looking like he's trying hard. Maybe it's because he's not in the right system but he just hasn't got the time to sit on the ball and look for a pass, as I presume he'd like to do.

Every club has fans and its easier to criticise than praise. English culture, media, people etc we're all the same, we criticise before we compliment.

That said, just how many genuine players are living up to the standards and salaries they no doubt earn. Is it unfair to actually ask a player to try. I accept players will be in poor form and shots will go off target and passes astray, but what is completely unacceptable is the lack of effort we see.

A player can run hard and always try and close a player down, get into the box, try and block a shot, try and compete in a tackle or for a header. It's too easy not to do this and that's why we will complain.

I don't players, coaches, officials are naive enough not to know what is being said on the forums. Some players probably do read it, some probably don't and can switch off away from football, however which players have the ability to transfer negative emotion into positive emotion. Which players say something and which players DO something. That's the real difference between people.

2 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Some football supporters are fickle, some supporters are stupid and some are just happy to go and watch the team their Dads brought them up to support.

I fall under the 2nd and 3rd :)

Sounds like me too

I can understand people distributing blame, its human nature. But hunting folk on twitter, booing (when there really isn't much of a reason to) and at times singling out an individual unfairly, just ain't on. 

Yes we have a problem with it at times but it's only from a section of fans. All clubs have this issue.

I think at times as well, we can be a little hesitant in saying we got it wrong. For example Chris Baird, I started to think it was just one final pay off for him after seeing his performances since his arrival but now he's been Mac'ed he looks fantastic, to the point where I'd pick him over Christie.

2 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions  ,I would never deride a player on match day but do I think we have players not worth the shirt ?Yes of course I do.

I often wonder how many players come on the forums I guess you would have to be pretty thick skinned . 

They won't come on forums but they've all got a bloody twitter account. Check out Richard Brodies of York City fame. What a cultured man. :lol: It was 6 years ago mind after being advised to come off it.

I managed to catch a tweet from Darren Bent praising @andiweimann for scoring at Anfield for Wolves. Why don't you text him or ring him yourself Benty instead of an easy generic unfeeling tweet?

This is the world of footballers on twitter IMO. Vacuous generic praising of 'great support ' from fans.

Archived