How far away is Tom Ince from a call up to the England squad?

Sexydadbod

Not many English wingers about in better form than he is. Maybe only Sterling and Walcott? Sure the likes of Oxlade Chamberlain and Townsend are better players than Ince but they aren't in very good form at the moment. Zaha too but he has chosen to represent Ivory Coast now so maybe opens the door to other promising English wingers. Before everyone goes off on one, let me remind you that the captain of the Iceland team that knocked England out of the euros currently plays for a mid table championship team(Cardiff). Players shouldn't be picked just because they play in the prem. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not gonna happen unless he's playing in the PL and even still that might not be enough. If he was at someone like Liverpool right now he'd probably get a call up.

Players like Jesse Lingard get in because they play for a big club but aren't actually that great. Jordon Ibe was touted for England by the media just weeks after he returned to Liverpool from us. Wilfred Zaha got a look in while at Utd even though he's been better at Palace, and hasn't got a call up then.

If he was doing well for us in the PL he may get a call-up for a friendly match but to be a regular he'd need to be at a top half side at least.

Should be in the squad IMO, I'd argue he's better than Townsend and probably as good as oxlade-Chamberlain. I think people seem to think that because players play for us rather than sit in the prem they're absolutely miles off the level of the likes of Townsend but in reality I don't think they are. We at one point had Jesse lingard and tom Ince in the team, and I don't think anyone would argue lingard was better than ince- yet he's now in the England squad!

Ince is a brilliant all round player, not just a good goal scorer and I for one think that he should be in the England squad ahead of some of these players who only make it because they play in the premier league- exactly the same for Hughes, however England have the wrong mentality and I can't see anyone outside the prem getting in...

Shelvey is much closer to a callup as an outfield championship player than anyone Derby has.

Im sure if England were in the shoes of Ireland, scotland and wales, then ince would be in there of course.

But 3rd goalkeepers aside, england pretty much never call up anyone from the championship. Sorry.

Wasn't Jay Bothroyd the last Champo call up?

Utter waste of time that as well.

As Jagerbob says, Heaton got a call up as a Champo keeper which seemed a decent decision and has been vindicated by his performances in the Prem. Of course being coached by Eric Steele in the U21's and at Man Utd as a youth obviously helped :D

31 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Not many English wingers about in better form than he is. Maybe only Sterling and Walcott? Sure the likes of Oxlade Chamberlain and Townsend are better players than Ince but they aren't in very good form at the moment. Zaha too but he has chosen to represent Ivory Coast now so maybe opens the door to other promising English wingers. Before everyone goes off on one, let me remind you that the captain of the Iceland team that knocked England out of the euros currently plays for a mid table championship team(Cardiff). Players shouldn't be picked just because they play in the prem. 

They shouldn't, but they do. Worse still, players get picked for simply being associated with a 'big' Prem club. Tom Cleverley anyone? 13 caps my arse.

He needs to prove himself in the premiership if he's going to be considered for England and at 25 he'll need to do that soon. 

He's a confident and ambitious lad so I'd imagine that if we dont get promoted, and a premier league team comes in for him this summer, then he might want to move on. For big bucks though!

Let's look at this realistically. Ince plays in the champ against left backs of varying quality. Prem players will face higher stakes for points and against better players more regularly.

for a Right Wing spot, which is the only position Ince has consistently put in top performances, he is up against (in no order and based on who can play there) Walcott, Ox, Sterling, Lingard, Antonio, Townsend, Milner, Lallana*, Redmond*, Dem Gray*, (Rashford and Welbeck have also been utilised here)

*prefer Left Wing

Archived