Newcastle United v Derby County match day thread

DEL

Watched the game a couple of times. At points we looked in danger of being overrun but there was a phase prior to their goal as well as the last 15 to 20 minutes where we were very good.

This said, some folk are voicing a couple of opinions on here that I don't really follow. Firstly, apparently it's a myth that Newcastle are a decent side, a Premiership team in the Championship (even if a bottom-half team). What a load of tripe! Thus far they are averaging 2.14 points per game played which, if sustained, will yield a final points total of over 98 points. Offhand, I can only think of Reading and Newcastle themselves having finished a season with more. Hardly shabby! They also sit top of the table which is not a coincidence either so the fact that we might have secured a draw is a credit to the lads and not to the detriment of Newcastle. Why some folk seem incapable of seeing things in anything other than black and white terms is utterly beyond me.

The second point being mooted is that we should have got at them from the start, more attacking, pressing higher and generally having a go. If you read the in-match comments on this very thread of some of those very same people who are now making these assertions were saying during the periods of Newcastle dominance how we 'couldn't get near them' and were 'miles off their standard' so perhaps we just give credit where it is due and say well done to Newcastle? In any case, who is to say that if we had gone gung-ho from the start, given the way they were playing in the early exchanges, that we wouldn't have been 3 or 4 down by halftime? None of us really know and that's the point!

A final thought is on the nature of their goal. It was lucky as f**k and completely took the wind out of our sails at a point where we were just gaining a foothold in the game. I'm not trying to make excuses for the lads but they had a tough opening period which they weathered well and were beginning to look dangerous when Ritchie's shot took a wicked deflection and the rest, as they say, is history. After that we were very much on the back foot with Newcastle confidence restored, their fans acting as 12th man and a referee who seemed to have a severe case of myopia.

So, yes we could have played better, no, Newcastle are not Barcelona, but still we retain our fate in our own hands and we now know we can match the best team in the league, though maybe not across a full 90 minutes. I'll take that all day long!

Fact is, it's Bristol back at ours next so we'll regroup and go again. 

COYR

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Watched the game a couple of times. At points we looked in danger of being overrun but there was a phase prior to their goal as well as the last 15 to 20 minutes where we were very good....

So, yes we could have played better, no, Newcastle are not Barcelona, but still we retain our fate in our own hands and we now know we can match the best team in the league, though maybe not across a full 90 minutes. I'll take that all day long!

Fact is, it's Bristol back at ours next so we'll regroup and go again. 

COYR

Call yourself an armchair expert?! You didn't slate them or us at all! Got to agree that going gung-ho at them from the start could have ended very nasty for us. This league is very competitive and who knows a couple of goals on the goal difference might make all the difference.

We competed and kept ourselves in the game, at the end we were unfortunate not to get a point. #COYR

25 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Ooh err matron! Did Chris have a choice in this or was it all your own idea?

On second thoughts, don't answer that question :ermm:

Chris ideas and my ideas are the very same thing - go figure that one out ... Toddy is a different matter but he just says it as it is ... consider it your Easter egg hunt.

15 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Chris ideas and my ideas are the very same thing - go figure that one out ... Toddy is a different matter but he just says it as it is ... consider it your Easter egg hunt.

And I couldn't give 2 fcuks who it upsets....:lol:

Anyway back on topic, a lot of whining on this and that regarding yesterday's game.

But you cannot moan if a team doesn't turn up for 60 minutes, yes I know we might have nicked something at the end, but toon fans will probably be asking how they did not hit Derby for 5.

Reality is we managed 2 attempts on target....

We do really miss Will Hughes and for the life of me still don't know why we didn't break the bank to bring in another midfield playmaker, because we really have know one else who can do Hughes job.

2 minutes ago, toddy said:

Anyway back on topic, a lot of whining on this and that regarding yesterday's game.

But you cannot moan if a team doesn't turn up for 60 minutes, yes I know we might have nicked something at the end, but toon fans will probably be asking how they did not hit Derby for 5.

We do really miss Will Hughes and for the life of me still don't know why we didn't break the bank to bring in another midfield playmaker, because we really have know one else who can do Hughes job.

Once Will Hughes is fit, where would his replacement fit in?

Bearing in mind he was fit for the majority of the transfer window.

What's Butterfield if not Wills back up?

4 hours ago, jagerbob said:

I was able to watch it online too ;)

The foul on Carson was actually unbelievable, it started with a tussle, and ended with their player body slamming him to the ground. Its possibly the worst case of manhandling at a corner i have ever seen. It was something I expect to see in the superbowl tonight, except Carson was running with the ball in his hands!

Having said that, we didnt deserve anything from the game. If we had snatched a draw it would have been day light robbery the way they totalled dominated us for 70-75 mins.

As good as Newcastle were, they only scored one goal and a deflected one at that.  We have a good defense and one heck of a good keeper in Carson.  i take comfort in that we are hard to break down.  The only worrying aspect of the game was how slowly we got going, it was one way traffic for the first fifteen minutes as we both saw online.  It's something i've heard Steve mention, so not overly concerned.

Totally agree with Toddy!

McClaren's number one priority in the summer should be to strengthen the midfield.

Bryson, Johnson and Butterfield haven't disgraced themselves but we need to build the starting eleven around a better standard of player.

Hughes is the only mainstay and when he's not fit, that area looks, more often than not, very disjointed.

Thorne's return should be a big shot in the arm. However good he may be though, his injury troubles suggest that he cannot be expected to shoulder the responsibility of being first choice in the midfield three.

So yes, a lot of work for McClaren to do in that area.

38 minutes ago, toddy said:

Yes, We do miss him but blame firmly on Mac for me as it was evident from minute 1 that he was playing for a 0-0 draw. So he got half of his objective right.

7 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Once Will Hughes is fit, where would his replacement fit in?

Bearing in mind he was fit for the majority of the transfer window.

What's Butterfield if not Wills back up?

Along side of him, too Brains better than one.

Butterfield please, never a back up.

I will be one of those advocating having a go at them. Whenever we play a high tempo, pressing game, we look good. And whenever we play like we are the coffin bearers at a funeral, we look pathetic - which is what we looked like at Newcastle for much of the game. Stevie did say that we showed them too much respect, but in reality that comes out of team preparation and tactics, which is Stevie's responsibility. In the end, the game is so tightly regulated by the managers and coaches that the performance on the pitch is affected by their input. Steve's interview left us thinking at was the players on the pitch who showed too much respect, when in reality it was at least a part of the game plan. Big mistake.

he has also talked about a player keeping his shirt if he plays well, and then contradicted himself with Alex Pearce in the Leeds game, and then Camara on Saturday. This is especially poignant in Camara's case, because johnny Russell, despite his energy and tracking back, produces very little going forwards, and hasn't done for some time.

In the end, the upturn in our performance started with the introduction of de Sart, who kept on playing very attack-minded passes which looked to set things going forwards, and then Camara coming on because he does "have a go" at every opportunity. tT also meant Ince could move into the middle of the pitch where I think he is even more effective than stuck out on the wing, as he can go  both ways, without his desire to cut back in onto his better/only foot. 

We didn't actually need to start absolutely gung-ho, we simply needed to approach the game positively, and the finishing line-up would have certainly achieved that fro the start. Why not give it a blast, as we did at Ipswich, and give the opposition the problem of trying to get something back from a game which has already gone from them. rather than consistently put ourselves in that position because of how we start out in a match?

Lets go the whole hog, shall we and give both de Sart and Camara a run in the side to see if they can settle and make a real contribution?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2017 at 18:25, Ambitious said:

I don't think we should worry too much about the result. Realistically, we all had it down for a loss and when predicting where the points were/are going to come from, Newcastle away wouldn't have been on anyone's list. 

As for the rest of the month, discounting Leicester, we should be looking to be picking up maximum points. We've got three home games in a row, against teams in the bottom half, two of which are in the bottom five, and two away games against two teams in the bottom half - one in the relegation zone. 

Forget this game, I have, and let's focus on the games we should win because we've got five coming up in a short space of time. 

Well, bugger. 

:mellow:

Archived