Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 17/18

Nuwtfly

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/gary-rowett-reveals-how-many-transfer-targets-derby-county-have-asked-about/story-30438634-detail/story.html

Gary Rowett says Derby County have made inquiries for 10 players as they look to shape the squad for the new season.

They have signed defenders Curtis Davies from Hull City and Liverpool's Andre Wisdom.

Four players - Will Hughes, Tom Ince, Cyrus Christie and Abdoul Camara - have departed and the squad needs to be trimmed further.

Derby are looking at making probably two or three more new signings but they are having to be patient.

Rowett said: "I would probably say we have made inquiries for 10 players.

"Their clubs have said 'we are having a look at them and we will make a decision when we get back from tour' which might be a week or two.

"What I don't think is appropriate is we go and get our third or fourth choice now because we can. We can wait, we have to wait.

"If we can get the ones we want, we will get them tomorrow. If we can't, we will wait patiently."

Particularly like the bolded bit.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Kyle guest said:

if we bought in Huddlestone, arfield & Lawrence I'd be very happy with our business this summer, and in an ideal world, got rid of Blackman, bent, shackell and olsson think we'd be looking good for the season

Take Shackell off then Pearce in there and I'm not sure if Bent is going to be honest. Other than that spot on oh and Weimann. 

3 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Take Shackell off then Pearce in there and I'm not sure if Bent is going to be honest. Other than that spot on oh and Weimann. 

Pearce I agree with problem is shackell still has this back problem so doubt anyone will have him anyway , bent probably paid off in nobody comes in for him and if we do bring in Lawrence and arfield a winger needs to go, can see it being weimann as you've said

8 hours ago, Kyle guest said:

bent probably paid off in nobody comes in for him

why pay someone off when you can keep them and be of benefit?

For whatever unwarranted poor opinion you have of Bent, he's a good player, with lots of know-how and experience, and I'm led to believe a thoroughly decent bloke around the dressing room and training ground. If you're going to pay the money anyway, may as well keep him around.

4 minutes ago, Moist One said:

why pay someone off when you can keep them and be of benefit?

For whatever unwarranted poor opinion you have of Bent, he's a good player, with lots of know-how and experience, and I'm led to believe a thoroughly decent bloke around the dressing room and training ground. If you're going to pay the money anyway, may as well keep him around.

He's not a Rowett type player, he won't even make the bench if he were to stay and he's on a big wage, Rowett wants the wage bill down and he's not gonna want to pay 30k a week to someone who won't even make the bench

47 minutes ago, Kyle guest said:

He's not a Rowett type player, he won't even make the bench if he were to stay and he's on a big wage, Rowett wants the wage bill down and he's not gonna want to pay 30k a week to someone who won't even make the bench

a) How do you know he's not a "Rowett player"? Rowett has never had the luxury of a big squad before

b) He has no choice but to pay him, that's what a contract is about! It will cost the money whether he's here or not. The only way of saving that is if someone wants to take him on less wages, which Bent is NOT obliged to accept. 

2 hours ago, Kyle guest said:

Yeh I'm not so sure - If Bent was completely out already I think more indication would have been given - Suspect if we get a decent bid he'll go but otherwise could be useful

If we're gonna play 4-2-3-1 it could fit his style a bit better - Let's him run the channels a bit more and still have someone in the middle and gives him someone closer to play off

I've been thinking that actually with Ince and Hughes gone that Vydra and Nugent must be the natural fits for that "deep 10" role

33 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

There didn't seem to be much point in triggering Bents contract extension to pay him off two months later. 

That wasn't a choice they made at the time of announcement - It had already been triggered

It was a fairly standard "Play enough games in your final year and you get an automatic extension" type clause

Archived